What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Digging Grow Holes - Fun at First, then it becomes Work

St. Phatty

I was just in my backyard digging a tiny drain ditch for each of about 12 holes that I have been excavating.

Letting the water flow out so I can ... dig some more.

It's fun at first.

And then it becomes work. :woohoo:

I have loose sand clay & rocks down about 2 feet to dig out. That sounds pathetic - 2 feet ?!

When I started it was not loose sand & clay. It was compressed near-impossible-to dig shovel-breaking gravelly rocky soil.

Just bought my 3rd wood handle of the shovel of the year. :dance013:

green-genes77

Veteran
So it goes....put in the work now, reap the rewards later. Skimp on the work now, you'll end up paying for it later one way or another.

Hope your season is killer. What are you backfilling with?

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I spent ton of time working a shovel when I was a younger.

Like anything else, there's a right way and a wrong way to dig a hole

I cant easily explain with only words.

A few tips:

1- watch your grip. Don't hold the shovel any tighter than you need to.

2- watch your hand positioning, both fulcrum and leverage.

3- arms, shoulders and legs as much as possible. not your back.

4- If you must bend, return to standing straight up before bending again. Basically each shovel load is a complete motion. A reset between loads is important.

5- a pause at the end of each load and the beginning of the next is the reset. Your back should be straight during the pause. Arms, shoulders and grip should be slightly relaxed each time as well. The length of each pause depends on how big and how many holes you need to dig. Make the pause longer if a lot of big holes are to be dug.

6- it's not smart or nessasary to have a giant load of dirt each time. Smaller bites are better and just as fast in the long run.

7-picks and pry bars are as important as shovels. Use them whenever and for as long as needed. Don't be stubborn, as soon as the shovel starts having a hard time, switch to the tool that's better suited to do the job.

You work the shovel, don't let the shovel work you

3 shovel handles in one year? Yikes!

My guess is..... your either using balsa wood for handles or your not using it correctly.lol

I still use the same shovel my dad made me dig holes with 30 years ago. The handle is nearly petrified! The point of the spade has transformed over time to look like the top of a cartoon heart! Or an ass crack! lol

Hope this helps. Good luck! :tiphat:

Easy7

Veteran
A lot harder guerrilla with a folding shovel. I like to use the Chinese version of the german WWII shovel. It has a bolt and no screw to hold it in one of two positions. Packs easily and has a pick to work thru hard earth. Very strong, never broke one yet. Gotta get on the knees though.

blastfrompast

Veteran
i use a metal bar and a sledge to loosen the soil up first....

Work smarter not harder...

I also upgraded to a post hole auger, but still don't break it out for just one or 2 holes...

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Good lord!!!! As I was reading your post I was thinking.... yeah but, how big are the holes your digging? Yeah but, how many holes are you really gonna dig?

But then I read the last sentence!!!!

Short folding shovel into rocky ground WHILE ON MY KNEES!!!!

You win!!!!:bow:

I couldn't do it! Even if you gave me a couple days to recover from the hike!lol

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best part is the hole, once finished & backfilled with good soil, could reward you for several years to come. Dig a few holes every year & you can eventually fallow a few, for a recharge, while using the rest.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Get a mattock. Makes digging much easier and faster with less labor. Swinging a mattock can penetrate, lift, and then break up soil deeper and faster than the equivalent motion with a shovel.

Rodehazrd

Having grown up as a field hand I can tell you from experience one of the most important moves in operating a shovel is the lean. Dig Dig Dig LEAN. Its just not realistic to expect your body to last without a regular pause. Lean on the shovel and get a sip of liquid.
If you must dig constantly you need a buddy to dig while you lean. City workers of course need three leaners per digger but non government work only needs one of each.
Rodehazrd

LostTribe

Premium user
Fuck that and all those ancient recommendations rent you a ditch witch and a small gas powered auger and you will be finished in a mater of minutes rather than wasting your time you could be kicking back sipping a cold one!

St. Phatty

Hope your season is killer. What are you backfilling with?

Thanks for all the replies !

Backfill - I guess that means when I fill the holes back up ?

The hillside has about 4 inches of leaves and humus, on top of sand clay etc.

That humus will be one of my primary mixers.

I will have piles of -
* humus with leaves mixed in
* drainage material (sand and gravel)

When I'm digging I end up partially sorting the sand/gravel/clay/rocks. The best of that = drainage material

The clay actually looks like it has potential, as a pottery/craft material.

For supplements -
worm castings from chicken manure etc.
Phosphorus - bone meal, Bat guano
Potassium - wood ash
Lime - tiny bit
And other organic goodies as they become available. If I see a box of over-ripe bananas for $1 at the organic market, well worms love bananas.

Looks like I might be shortchanging the plants on Nitrogen. So maybe a gallon of steer manure for every 20 gallon mixing bucket.

Of course, 2 cubic yards is 54 cubic feet, about 400 gallons.

So on the bottom I tend to just "shovel it in". It still gets quality ingredients and I try to spread it out good.

"I just don't feel like doing 20+ mixes in the mix bucket for 1 hole." Almost sounds like I'm whining :woohoo:

I'm gonna get Cannabis Tunnel Syndrome. :tiphat:

Since I'm sort of limited on how much I can carry, I wonder if this would be a good time to try Coco - because the bricks are light, and it's a good organic soil mixer, right ?

Easy7

Veteran
Ya i would rather dig holes than haul in soil miles to a grow.

All the lucky spoiled guys who grow on their own land are paying a price with low prices per lbs. guerrilla country gets 4 times as much or more.

livinit

Ya i would rather dig holes than haul in soil miles to a grow.

All the lucky spoiled guys who grow on their own land are paying a price with low prices per lbs. guerrilla country gets 4 times as much or more.

No doubt, some of the most potent/large yielding bud came when using old cow shit. Makes me feel spoiled listening to how much work you guys go through.

jackel

Smartpots ftw.
Also, ur soil/amendment mix sounds terrible for drainage. Also worm castings come from worms not chicken shit. Although chicken shit is great. If you add material like bananas that aren't composted yet, you will end up with more problems than help..

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Fuck that and all those ancient recommendations rent you a ditch witch and a small gas powered auger and you will be finished in a mater of minutes rather than wasting your time you could be kicking back sipping a cold one!

Yeah but I LIKE growing weed.haha It's what I enjoy spending my time and energy doing. With that said.... I also find cold beer refreshing and delicious but I don't wanna spend all my time drinking it. I like spending my time doing stuff. Drinking WHILE doing stuff is even better as it seems to make even fun things funner!

Like going to a concert is fun but getting hammed at a concert is a blast. I can go on and on, movies, church or visiting your in laws.... Beer makes them all better! So why not while digging big ass holes? I know what your thinking...... yeah but it's kinda hard to shovel while holding a frosty cold one? And you can forget about holding two frosty cold ones? Am I right?

Well today's your lucky day friend!!!! The fine people at whammo have made life worth living...... just a little more!

ORDER YOURS IN THE NEXT 10 MIN AND RECEIVE THE DELUXE OPTION WHICH INCULES THE NEW CHIN STRAP(not shown) ABSOLUTELY FREE! just pay shipping and handling. While supplies last.

I'm just fuckin the with ya LT! Haha

Latest posts

Latest posts