Thread Title Search
Advertise on ICMag - Click for more info
Best brand of Worm castings Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 PM #1
liquidcooled420

liquidcooled420 is on a distinguished road
Best brand of Worm castings

Hey everyone,
There are already several threads about different brands but I thought it would be nice to get some updated opinions.

I know that your own worm bin castings are usually the best, but what company do you think has the best castings?

I am in New England so the ones i have access to are Worm power and Wiggle worm. The wiggle worm castings look really dark and fine texture like the bedding was screened out well. I haven't seen the worm power castings but they say it is castings and worm worked material.

I am curious if anyone has seen nutrient test results for these castings or compared the micro-life microscopically to see what brand has more microbes or produces more after brewing tea.

thanks
liquidcooled420 is offline Quote

Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 AM #2
BurnOne
No damn given.

BurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant futureBurnOne has a brilliant future
I had good luck with WiggleWorm.
Burn1
It's 4:20 somewhere. Time to Burn1.

Bullshit! There's no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid

pH meter? We don't need no stinking pH meter!

BurnOne is offline Quote

Old 01-25-2017, 01:08 AM #3
GnarlsBarkley

GnarlsBarkley has a spectacular aura aboutGnarlsBarkley has a spectacular aura aboutGnarlsBarkley has a spectacular aura aboutGnarlsBarkley has a spectacular aura aboutGnarlsBarkley has a spectacular aura about
idk if it's the best but I use and like Unco Industries Wiggle Worm Organic Earthworm Castings. Seemed to have a lot of good reviews and it's well priced on Amazon.
GnarlsBarkley is offline Quote

Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 AM #4
NWNR

NWNR will become famous soon enough
Have you considered looking up a local vermicomposter (Facebook or craigslist? )and getting fresh worm castings that way? They would probably be much better. I would look up someone selling worms on Craigslist and inquire about their castings. Just an idea.
NWNR is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:08 AM #5
Dioni

If you use them for amendment, wiggle worm will do fine, if you brew teas, fresh from your own worm bin can not be beat.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:06 PM #6
Biggobelly

Biggobelly will become famous soon enough
Worm casting brand

For my soil, I use Wiggle Worm castings and for my teas I use Soil Blend worm castings.
Biggobelly is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 04:50 PM #7
liquidcooled420

liquidcooled420 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies everyone.

NWNR, I have been looking on craigslist and asking around but no luck so far. I'm running my own worm bin now so hopefully I will have some soon.

Dioni, Biggobelly, that sounds like a good way to go. I won't have enough castings to supply myself for use as an amendment any time soon, but I would have enough to use for teas.

From what I have read wiggle worm system uses controlled amounts of feed and bedding to ensure it is all processed completely to produce pure castings. Other companies use more diverse materials for feed, but might actually contain less castings because of unprocessed bedding. On the other hand more diverse feed might mean higher NPK.
liquidcooled420 is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 05:00 PM #8
KONY

KONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to allKONY is a name known to all
I often tell people if you cant find anything else, wiggle worm will work better than nothing, however if you can find anything else.... anything else will probably be higher quality.

One thing with wiggle worm, is they contract out all their farms to local/regionally worm farmers, I happened to meet the couple doing it about an hour west of here. As a result I negotiated a price of $13 a bag if i bought atleast 20 at a time.

However that was 4 years ago now, I used Big worm for a year, then last 2 years I used worm power, and now make my own.
KONY is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:05 PM #9
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
I personally do not like wiggle worm castings

I use agrowinn castings

https://www.fertilizeronline.com/wormcast.php

i found performance differences, i get worm from these castings which means the egg casings are not steamed, it is very biologically active

I also found that if i put mason jars with water side by side with an equal volume of both brands castings in each one cover and shake the wiggle worm has more sand

I have a nursery wholesaler who services commercial horticulturists and landscapers and get it in bulk pretty cheap no shipping costs.

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:07 PM #10
bigtacofarmer

bigtacofarmer is a jewel in the roughbigtacofarmer is a jewel in the roughbigtacofarmer is a jewel in the roughbigtacofarmer is a jewel in the roughbigtacofarmer is a jewel in the roughbigtacofarmer is a jewel in the rough
My worms eat a mix of finished bokashi and coco coir that has been sittting at least a month. Next step is to start using the biodynamic accumulater chart to cater my bokashi for veg or flowering.
bigtacofarmer is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.