Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > Sunshine Mix # 4 vs Promix HP

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Sunshine Mix # 4 vs Promix HP Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 PM #1
chris harris

Sunshine Mix # 4 vs Promix HP

Going to need to buy one or the other soon, looking for comments, suggestions, etc. Only interested in these 2 soilless mixes. Always thought these 2 products were the same, I see they are not. I have included "spec" sheets of both products. Not sure if I am understanding some of the numbers correctly.
First thing that caught my eyes is the PH of S.S#4 out of the bag( 4.6-5.2). After a 14 day soak, it came up to 5.5-6.5. I'm assuming that's cause the lime has been activated. This stuff comes with a wetting agent, shouldn't the lime be already activated? I see the ProMix PH seems more better( 5.2-6.2, with 6.2 after a 7 day soak)
So does this mean if you are using S.S.#4, you should soak and let cook for 2 weeks?
Also see in S.S #4 there is fuck all for "P", more Mg, more Sulphur, way less "N" than ProMix Hp. Water holding capacity number is lower, which, if I am understanding correctly, means it drains better?

Last edited by chris harris; 01-09-2017 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 PM #2
chemberry

chemberry will become famous soon enough
i have been running #4 for some time i love that stuff no gnats always the same it never changes
chemberry is offline Quote

Old 01-10-2017, 06:38 PM #3
jaype

jaype will become famous soon enough
I to use sunshine mix #4 and have been reusing the same sunshine mix for about 9 grow cycles..(can't afford to buy anymore) I have only added bat guano to it once and now I need to add some perlite as what was in there is about gone. But that will have to wait as I'm fighting the government to get my disability and it's hard enough taking care of my 3 boys and wife.
jaype is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 05:21 PM #4
chris harris

Thanks for the replies. Was worried about dropping plants into a mix with a PH of 4.6-5.2. Sounds like it hasn't caused you guys any problems, and Sungro thinks there's no problem either. They claim there is no such thing as PH lockout.
I see my attachments are NFG, I'll try again, for anyone interested.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM #5
Muleskinner

Muleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really nice
great discussion, since Fafard's mixes are being phased out, I have to switch to one of these two.

The question would seem to be, is Sunshine worth the additional 20-30% more it costs over Promix? hopefully you get coarser, better quality peat for the extra money.

Does anyone know exactly how much perlite is in these? I just got a bag of Sunshine #1, it says 70-80% peat on the label, I assume that means somehwere between 20-30% perlite?

Is extra perlite the only difference between these "high porosity" mixes and the regular ones?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM #6
stonedfly

stonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura about
Ive used both SS#4 and Pro Mix for a while now

I started with SS#4 ... but found it becomes too waterlogged ... or doesn't drain as well as Promix HP...

I have found more consistent results with Promix vs. SS#4 , lighter , airier , and less sticks and bark.

around here (BC) promix is king it seems
stonedfly is offline Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 PM #7
Truthful

Truthful has a spectacular aura aboutTruthful has a spectacular aura aboutTruthful has a spectacular aura aboutTruthful has a spectacular aura about
I agree with stonedfly plus those sticks and bark in SS#4 break down later in the grow adding extra N among other things back into the mix.
Truthful is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 AM #8
stonedfly

stonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura aboutstonedfly has a spectacular aura about
I also cut my PRomix HP with approx. 1/3 more perlite...

something like a 25L bag of perlite per bale of promix... not quite sure as I get a large bag of perlite now ( maybe 120L? ) and mix till I feel happy

both products are very similar... I however will ONLY use promix HP ... I will not do another run in SS#4 or Promix BX. I find promix HP to be the most inert of the 3
stonedfly is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 AM #9
raven44

raven44 will become famous soon enough
Why not pro mix bx?

What about it do u not like?
raven44 is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:30 AM #10
Muleskinner

Muleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really nice
looks like I will be trying Pro-mix MP which is the organic one. However it's got coir in it. So the only organic ones w/o coir are the Sunshine ones.