What's new

One single plant suddenly turned into this

lastmob

Hi, I'm posting this thread hoping someone can spend a bit of time to help me work out why did this happen.
The plant in question is G13 labs Pineapple Express, about 5-6 weeks old from seed. Grown in 100% coco coir in 2gal pot. It has been fed with the 6/9 recipe at about 1.4 EC (0.4 starting tap water EC) with a bit of silica (coming to think of it, I did put some Superthrive 1-2 days prior to the accident). It's under a 400W which is 14-18 inches above it. pH has been 5.5-5.9. Temperature - 25-28 C, humidity - 65-75%. The grow tent it's in has its door slightly open and there's an oscillating fan blowing lightly at all plants

All other plants around it, including a sibling Pineapple express, are growing pretty well, I can only notice some light burns on leaves from water drops and perhaps slight Mg deficiency.

The plant turned into this literally overnight.

My initial thought was heat stress but I checked the temperature data logger and there was no heat spikes, temp has been 26-28 which combined with high RH should be ok. There were also no signs of root rot. I am gonna calibrate the pH pen but I doubt this is the problem.

Any ideas? Could it be water temperature been low and shocking the plant? Purely weak genetics?

Thanks for all input, greatly appreciated.

ozzieAI

Veteran
no pics...

but if something happens drastically and quick check your roots and isolate that plant till you work out whats going on

lastmob

The algae is growing on top of the rockwool cube. How could it be over-watering if the roots have pretty much filled the coco pot and I was feeding twice a day? From what I've read on here you can hardly water under those circumstances.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your right i dont know a thing about growing pot in coco. My bad

I wood

Think for yourself, question authority, but not me.
Funny. Seems like a less experienced grower was just trying to understand better, not be offensive.

They appear over watered to me as well, but I'm a dirty grower.
There are many factors other than how often you water that can affect roots. Big pots, low temperatures, ph issues all can lead to root problems.

lastmob

Don't get me the wrong way. Would you advise fewer waterings or less amount each time. I must also say I often leave the run-off water sit in the saucer for some time before sucking it with the hoover.

maimunji

Can you check and make pics of roots. Sorry but looks like you loose her. Also its looks like this plant is topped. If she is topped check wound for healing and look for something white and mushy.Fungi like to attack stems when they have wound.

ISM2

(coming to think of it, I did put some Superthrive 1-2 days prior to the accident).

Does adding this mess with the pH?
I've used it before in transplanting, and it works great.
Not suggesting this is the culprit...just curious.

Does that rockwool cube always stay wet?

seeded

Does adding this mess with the pH?
I've used it before in transplanting, and it works great.
Not suggesting this is the culprit...just curious.

Does that rockwool cube always stay wet?
It slightly lowers the pH.

Back to OP, you've massively over watered the plant and your pH is way too low. Go make up a half strength nute mix, pH it to 6.1 and then slowly flush the plant with it in a bath or sink so you can lean the pot on a slight angle to help the water runoff after you're done. It won't fix the leaves that are already ruined but it will stop any further damage from occurring and given a few days it'll start growing just fine :tiphat:

ozzieAI

Veteran
looks like root rot to me...

couple of ??..do you use brick or bag coco coir? are your pots always heavy?

S

sourpuss

Plants a goner. Check the roots. Wasting space anyway. Leaving the water in the saucer is prob the reason. Id suspect your other plants r well on the same path. Arguing aint gonna fix anything. Lift it up and out the pot and see for yourself.

Friction1957

Don't get me the wrong way. Would you advise fewer waterings or less amount each time. I must also say I often leave the run-off water sit in the saucer for some time before sucking it with the hoover.

And there you could well have found the "root" of your problem. Do you ever let it sit overnight? After the lights go out? Roots hate to sit in water, it will cause damage very much like what you are showing in your pic's. Doesn't matter what the medium is, if you are letting the roots sit too long in water you kill them and the plant both before to long. Existing leafs don't recover in my experience, but you can get new growth that replaces it.

rootfingers

It is extreme so I'd only do it if the genetics were not easily replaced but I'd cut off all the roots outside of the original wool cube and after carefully letting it dry a bit I'd start watering as need from there. If it survives you can transplant and try again. Should turn right around that way.