Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Dosatron Water Powered Nutrient Doser

Thread Title Search
Dosatron Water Powered Nutrient Doser Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2017, 05:38 PM #1
BillFarthing
Vote Libertarian.

BillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura aboutBillFarthing has a spectacular aura about
Dosatron Water Powered Nutrient Doser

Dosatron are inline fertilizer injectors. They dose consistently regardless of the pressure. I am thinking about setting some of these up to automate the room like a PPK system.

Does anyone have any experience using these? Are there any negatives or things I should watch out for?
BillFarthing is offline Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 09:57 PM #2
queequeg152

queequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nice
i dont think you can go wrong with a dosatron period... they just cost a grip.

they use them in everything... parts kits are available... they have service reps to talk to etc.

they really are top notch, just make sure you are getting the correct sized unit for you. there are some super cheap ones that are fixed rate( though that might be a different company?) that might be suitable to some, but i think in general you want the ones that can adjust on the fly.

again though you should be able to speak to a rep, and they can set you straight pretty quickly.
queequeg152 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 AM #3
Limeygreen

Limeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to all
They work well, but remember that it is designed for roughly 14 gpm and there are higher models as well, they used to sell a 11 gpm but stopped due to not much demand. They go from 0.1 % I think to 2 % of your fertilizer, usually I am running them around 1 to 1.5% depending. If you are running more than one fertilizer such as an a b system you need to put a mixing tube before it goes in line (2 inch pipe works well that is around 3 feet long) so that the fertilizers are mixing with water prior to going inline and prevent from making gypsum in your drip lines or other irrigation systems and hoses etc. It is very simple to do and if you need a hand shoot me a pm. But more or less you run the dosatrons inline with each other then the outlet of the last one you put into the mixing tube at the top and the outlet at the bottom to your inlet of your irrigation system. Don't forget a screen filter (200 mesh should do) regardless of single or multiple dosatrons to save drip lines or other irrigation equipment and make sure to check it often, once a day at first then see how long it takes to need a cleaning. Depending who you buy them from at a retail shop you could be looking around 600-700 cdn per unit starting at the 14 gpm.
Check your ec and pH often when using them especially with multi dosatrons as you will see a drift such as low pH to start then the pH raises as the days go on.
They are pretty good little machines for low tech uses, you can get gear dosers (not sure if that's what you call them) that have a wheel that spins and rubs the suction hose to make it a siphon and hooked to an ec metre and pH metre, handy units but more expensive. All depends on what you need, if you have any more questions let me know and I will see if I can help as I only know them briefly so far.

The other brand would be mix rite I believe, no idea about them but some people rave about them.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 AM #4
queequeg152

queequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nicequeequeg152 is just really nice
11 gpm?

did they stop selling that coke can sized one that goes down to very low rates?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:47 AM #5
queequeg152

11 gpm cannot be rite... they use these things in all the car washes to pump the various soaps... those carwashes are very low flow typically.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:18 AM #6
Lazyman
Overkill is under-rated.

Lazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud of
I cant imagine trying to dial that in, my nute schedule is essentially H&G , but for 12 weeks its a different formula every week, and uses like 11 different chems. You MIGHT be able to dial in a simpler recipe, but the week to week changes would make it a pain.

All about Growroom cooling: Keepin' it cool man (my 1st published article)
How to automate reservoir top offs or most anything water-related
The only UV-B lighting thread worth a damn
CO2 for dummies

Big grow:
The 36KW medical/perpetual basement

Lazyman is offline Quote

Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 PM #7
Limeygreen

Limeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to allLimeygreen is a name known to all
https://www.dosatronusa.com/d07re125/

0.02 - 3 gpm

You just have to check with a drip bucket or you stock tank that the fertilizer is coming out of your dosatron is what you want.

Mixing fertilizers is fine, don't mix calcium with sulfates or phosphates unless you like calcium sulfate and calcium phosphate sludge that solidifies.

Calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate different tanks, phosphate is same tank as sulfate. A B system is a tank that keeps these separate then mix in the injector to your irrigation tank/mixing tube.

One example:
A tank
Calcium nitrate
Potassium nitrate
Iron Chelate
Calcium Chloride

B Tank
Potassium nitrate
Potassium sulfate
Potassium chloride
Magnesium nitrate
Magnesium sulfate
Mono Potassium Phosphate
Phosphoric Acid
Borax
Zinc Sulfate
Copper Sulfate
Sodium Molybdate
Manganese Sulfate

These are examples of what usually may go into an A B system for the fertilizer concentrate solutions. Not all the fertilizers are put in, it depends on crop, grower and recipe.

Single stock Solution is simple as well you just dump into one tank and dial in what you need.

Some fertilizers come with instructions even if 2 part system then tell you how concentrated to make it and which dilution ratio to use usually for ppm of N.

It is not really that much work it's just checking to make sure everything is doing what it is supposed to.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 AM #8
queequeg152

i would think 2 dosatrons are a minimum.

maby three if you want to get crazy... but should just add the acid into the cal nitrate tank.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM #9
Limeygreen

Phosphoric acid in the Epsom tank is recommended it helps dissolve more of the fertilizer, nitric acid in the calcium tank. If you're using any chelated minors, acid will destroy the chelating agent but won't affect the minors that are sulfates.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 PM #10
queequeg152

epsom salt is insanely soluble... it does not need acid to further dissolve.

i would put the acid in the nitrate tank personally.