What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In memorium: Robert Hulseman, inventor of the Red Solo cup. RIP

onavelzy

Veteran
(CNN) 2016 is still not done. Before we lost George Michael, Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds this week, we lost someone who's probably had just as big an impact on our lives, though you've never heard of him:

Robert Leo Hulseman.

He's the man who invented the red Solo cup, staple at every party ever. He died last week at age 84.

The Solo Cup Company was the family business -- Hulseman's dad started it in 1936 -- and Hulseman started working in the company factory when he was 18, according to his obit on Legacy.com.
He worked his way up to CEO of the company, succeeding his father in 1980 and helping the company grow into one of the largest food service packaging companies in the world.

In the beginning, the Illinois-based company made the kind of cone-shaped paper cups you find next to the office water cooler. Then, in the 1950s, as fountain sodas gained popularity, it added wax-lined cups to its lineup.
It was sometime in the 1970s that Hulseman came up with the now-ubiquitous cups that are such a party staple.
Made of thick, molded polystyrene, they are perfect. You can drop them, stack them, dispose of them. And they are cheap. And of course, being red, they hide what it is you're drinking exactly.
Immortalized in song
The cups later came in blue, but the red still keeps outselling.
"I've tested this over and over. Consumers prefer red, and it's not very close," a company executive told Slate in 2011.

"I think for one thing it's a neutral color that's appealing to both men and women."
The red cups weren't the only drink-related item Hulseman dreamed up during his life. He's also the creator of the Solo Traveler coffee cup lids.
So the next time you're at a party and find yourself holding a red Solo cup, pour a bit of your drink out for Hulseman. There's no better way to honor the memory of the man who helped make the good times possible.

Or, as country star Toby Keith put it in his 2011 hit song "Red Solo Cup":
Red solo cup you're more than just plastic
You're more than amazing you're more than fantastic
And believe me that I'm not the least bit sarcastic
When I look at you and say
Red solo cup, you're not just a cup. (No, no, God no)
You're my, you're my friend. (Friend, friend, friend, life long)
Thank you for being my friend.http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/29/health/red-solo-cup-death-trnd/index.html

onavelzy

Veteran
yeah i couldn't figure out what forum. i guess maybe i could have used the news forum but i didnt think any one would see it there

antheis

Veteran
I'm not so sure, I mean I know I've grown plenty of dank that started in a red cup.
what I'm trying to say is that it isn't completely unrelated to this subgroup.

HarvestMoon303

I'm not so sure, I mean I know I've grown plenty of dank that started in a red cup.
what I'm trying to say is that it isn't completely unrelated to this subgroup.

I have a couple in BLUE solo cups. The blue ones were the only square-based ones (chop each corner for drain is super easy).

I feel dirty.

paper thorn

Veteran
Many a clone has been rooted in and rooted clones planted in Solo Cups.

I've sprouted hundreds of seeds in them.

I don't know what my veg would be like without them.

Robert Leo Hulseman will live on every time I poke holes in the bottom of his invention.

Inventor of the most popular early veg pots in America, perhaps the world.:tiphat:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good read. RIP I have one of those cups within a few feet of me. Germination cup and now a watering cup. No longer germinate in them.

These used to be beer cups but made the jump into both beer and pot growing. Lot more of those two than being the picnic cup it was sold as.

antheis

Veteran
we should change the name of the beer cup challenge to the RLH tribute grow.

in death we all have a name.
his name was Robert Hulseman.
all: (Robert Hulseman)​

onavelzy

Veteran
RLH Tribute Cup

RLH Tribute Cup

that's a great idea. The last solo cup contest i could find was in 2013. I passed your idea on to Payaso

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Man, I've used thousands of those cups. Never thought as I got older that I would be germing, vegging, etc in those cups.

OP

PDX Dopesmoker

I almost feel bad for saying this but who the fuck cares? Honestly???

RIP I guess.

You only say that because you never saw my dirt cheap cloning system based on similar plastics. All you need is a windowsill and some clear plastic cups.
gEqqbb9.jpg

onavelzy

Veteran

RIP I guess.

Well, it's not like he invented the H bomb or alternating current or penile transplants or anything dramatic. But his design innovation has probably been used by almost every adult under the age of 50 for one purpose or another. In the US at least. I just thought he deserved some respect or acknowledgement for doing that. He certainly had a greater impact than I have had.

Not a big deal, just a quirky news factoid.

I figured people might smile and tip their solo cups to him on their next round

antheis

Veteran

RIP I guess.

we all stand on the shoulders who came before us
and lift up those who come after us
the view is beautiful and it brings tears to my eyes
can you imagine how much more beautiful the view will be for our children?
the thought alone makes me feel divine.

t99

Veteran

The first growers rule of red solo cup Club is: you do not talk about red solo cup Club. The second growers rule of red solo cup Club is: you DO NOT talk about red solo cup Club! Third rule of red solo cup Club: if a plant gets root bound, you must transplant. Fourth rule: only one seedling to a cup...

I like the RLH tribute idea

Latest posts

Latest posts