What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for a safe method to completely dry semi-moist Bat Guano

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Most of the bat guanos I use are exceptionally dry, with the exception of Sunleaves' Jamaican BG--it has some moisture in it.

My objective is to include Jamaican BG and other dry ingredients in my custom top-dressing blend, but the problem I am having is the moisture content of Jamaican BG.

I thought by letting the BG sit in an open bucket for a couple of days would work, but after grinding everything (coffee grinder) and mixing everything together--a week or so later I noticed a bit of white mold growing in the blend with Jamaican BG--but nothing in my other blend that has zero Jamaican BG. I think the tiny bit of moisture in the Jamaican BG is my problem.

So...to avoid health issues (histoplasmosis), I am cautious of spreading the bat guano on a drying table of sorts and my wife will kill me if use HER oven to dry MY bat shit.

Anyone have an idea, process or procedure that will completely dry (say 90% or better) semi-dry bat guano?

Maybe during the summer I can use the attic as a heat source and hang guano in mesh sacks (paint filters)--but it is winter now.

Any ideas?

island_organics

A plastic tote with a good sized bowl filled with silica gel in it makes a good dessicant chamber. I use 500g of silica gel in a tupperware for drying out different things.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Most of the bat guanos I use are exceptionally dry, with the exception of Sunleaves' Jamaican BG--it has some moisture in it.

My objective is to include Jamaican BG and other dry ingredients in my custom top-dressing blend, but the problem I am having is the moisture content of Jamaican BG.

I thought by letting the BG sit in an open bucket for a couple of days would work, but after grinding everything (coffee grinder) and mixing everything together--a week or so later I noticed a bit of white mold growing in the blend with Jamaican BG--but nothing in my other blend that has zero Jamaican BG. I think the tiny bit of moisture in the Jamaican BG is my problem.

So...to avoid health issues (histoplasmosis), I am cautious of spreading the bat guano on a drying table of sorts and my wife will kill me if use HER oven to dry MY bat shit.

Anyone have an idea, process or procedure that will completely dry (say 90% or better) semi-dry bat guano?

Maybe during the summer I can use the attic as a heat source and hang guano in mesh sacks (paint filters)--but it is winter now.

Any ideas?
Brother, nothing wrong with mycelium in your top dressing. I wouldn't sweat about drying it out, as long as it is still able to mix properly!

DocTim420

A plastic tote with a good sized bowl filled with silica gel in it makes a good dessicant chamber. I use 500g of silica gel in a tupperware for drying out different things.

Hmmm...great idea! Duration? I am thinking about a week or so (with the lid on of course--no burping). Or better yet, suspend some of the silica gel inside the 5 gallon bucket of BG, it is about half full (or "half empty" for those are pessimistic).

Brother, nothing wrong with mycelium in your top dressing. I wouldn't sweat about drying it out, as long as it is still able to mix properly!

You are right about that. The secondary problem is the consistency of the blend--it become chunky/solid like (yeah it does break up eventually) and no longer a fine powder.

Since breakdown time and nutrient/fertilizer particle size are directly related--I grind my topdressing super fine (talcum like) with the coffee grinder.

The mycelium is a nice bonus though....

island_organics

Hmmm...great idea! Duration? I am thinking about a week or so (with the lid on of course--no burping). Or better yet, suspend some of the silica gel inside the 5 gallon bucket of BG, it is about half full (or "half empty" for those are pessimistic).
Maybe a few days, hard to say. You may need a larger volume of silica gel, or need to oven dry it if it reaches its saturation limit. You could suspend it in the cloth bag it comes in. That will work.

My glass or bucket is neither half full or half empty. It´s re-fillable :laughing:

DocTim420

Hey...calcium sulfate (aka gypsum) is also sold as Drierite (commercial desiccant)...and just so happens I also buy gypsum in 50 lb bags (a calcium input for my custom soil).

A survivalist website has desiccant DIY solutions for drying small and large volumes. Place a jar (holes in lid) with gypsum inside bucket and then seal the bucket...or make a pouch with a coffee filter by folding and stapling the edges together.

Gypsum can absorb 10% of its weight before coming ineffective and is recharged by heating it at 410 F for 1 hour.

Thinking jar method is the direction I will go. Weighing the gypsum should help monitor the moisture removal progress.

Refillable, lol...that's funny man!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
If you using gypsum as a soil amendment you could just mix it directly into the guano, mindful of the ratio you need to use it!

DocTim420

Yep, too much calcium is no bueno; but remember this is for a topdressing blend and the ingredients are selected based on: diversity, PAN (plant available nitrogen) and rate of decomposition. For my soil mixing, I do the same thing--grind (what needs to be ground) and blend everything together (martini style--shaken never stirred) before the "powder" is mixed into the grow medium.

Don't mind using semi-moist ingredients when making soil, but not so much for my topdressing blends. I usually measure and grind my topdressing blends in advance and store them in canisters until needed. Hence the preference to reduce the moisture in Jamaican BG.

Thanks man!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yep, too much calcium is no bueno; but remember this is for a topdressing blend and the ingredients are selected based on: diversity, PAN (plant available nitrogen) and rate of decomposition. For my soil mixing, I do the same thing--grind (what needs to be ground) and blend everything together (martini style--shaken never stirred) before the "powder" is mixed into the grow medium.

Don't mind using semi-moist ingredients when making soil, but not so much for my topdressing blends. I usually measure and grind my topdressing blends in advance and store them in canisters until needed. Hence the preference to reduce the moisture in Jamaican BG.

Thanks man!
Ok I get you for storage I would also want it dry. Luckily we are in summer season now and drier, I was having a problem with dry molasses powder turning to syrup from the moisture in winter!

Sometimes paint stores rent dehumidifiers, that would be worth it for a large quantity. Not sure amount we talking here. Or spread out in front of an open fire. Your wife may think you have gone bat shit crazy though!

DocTim420

So, let's see how this works--

I estimate 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket (label says 40 lbs) equates to about 10lbs of Jamaican BG (consistency is similar to spent coffee grounds) and I guestimate about 3% moisture content. Gypsum can absorb moisture at the rate of 10% of its weight.....

I calculate about 3 pounds or about 1361 grams of gypsum will be required....think I pop 1500 grams in the oven for 1 hour at 410 (dry it out first), re-weigh it (see how close it gets to 1361) and see how much moisture is removed from the bat guano.

For the sake of science, I will post my progress.

Latest posts

Latest posts