What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Greg Lake of ELP

M

Melton Chomes

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...-lake-dies-at-69/ar-AAliM3c?OCID=ansmsnnews11

LONDON (AP) — Musician Greg Lake, a prog-rock pioneer who co-founded King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died. He was 69.

Manager Stewart Young said in a statement that Lake died Wednesday after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer."

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun Jimi Hendrix the Fillmore East First (CD)
Find Music - Pop at Target.com! Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun Jimi Hendrix the Fillmore East First (CD)
Target | Sponsored
Born in the southern English seaside town of Poole in 1947, Lake founded King Crimson with guitarist Robert Fripp in the late 1960s. The band pioneered the sprawling, ambitious genre that came to be known as progressive rock.

He went on to form ELP with keyboardist Keith Emerson and drummer Carl Palmer. With Lake as vocalist and guitarist, ELP impressed the crowds at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival, in a lineup that also featured Jimi Hendrix and The Who.

The band released six platinum-selling albums characterized by songs of epic length, classical influence and ornate imagery, and toured with elaborate light shows and theatrical staging.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's 1973 album "Brain Salad Surgery" included a nearly 30-minute composition called "Karn Evil 9" that featured a Moog synthesizer and the eerie, carnival-like lyric: "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

They filled stadiums and sold records by the millions, but ELP and other prog-rock bands such as Yes and the Moody Blues suffered a backlash with the arrival of punk in the mid- to-late 1970s. They were ridiculed as the embodiment of pomposity and self-indulgence that rock supposedly stood against.

ELP broke up in 1979, reunited in 1991, later disbanded again and reunited for a 2010 tour.

Emerson died in March from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home in Santa Monica, California.

Lake's songs as a solo artist include "I Believe in Father Christmas," an enduring seasonal staple first released in 1975.

-------------------
RIP my Brother.

M

mugenbao

2016 can just suck a big old bag of *****. What a rotten year this has been.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
2016 can just suck a big old bag of *****. What a rotten year this has been.

yes its been pretty awful with so many now gone,,,,
RIP Greg,,,,,
lets hope 2017 is a better year,,,,,,s2

Betterhaff

Veteran
Wow, just wow. He had been sick though but now has moved on.

There's no end to my life,
No beginning to my death,
Death is Life!

RIP Greg

Beanzy

Rip Greg ....wasn't he in Asia as well?

I believe he was. ELP was the first concert I went to to and a new smoker, It was a tour promoting Tarkus... wow is all I can say, such beautiful tight music .
I was so saddened by the passing of Keith Emerson. This has been a dark year for me with many idols of my youth and personal friends, and family passing into the ether. ELP will always be in my mind as those young guys that blew everyone out of their chairs at the Newport Jazz fest, I hope there really is true peace at the end because I'm a little nervous myself.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahhh man! Another great one bites the dust. Had a lot of their albums, now CD's, saw them a few times in the late 70's.

Lucky Man and Fanfare for the Common Man should be heard world wide as a tribute to him.

ronbo51

Veteran
In the early 70's I hung out at the local community center and played a lot of basketball. On Saturday nights they had concerts. A lot of guys just starting out went through there on tours. The guy who did all the booking would get comp tickets to the bigger venues but he almost never went and he would give me first crack at the freebies and I hardly ever missed shows. The biggest shows were at the Baltimore Civic Center, but the best shows were at the Alexandria Roller Rink. Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Humble Pie, Black Sabbath, and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

I saw ELP when the first album came out. Lucky Man was on the radio, but surprisingly they did not play it. Keith Emerson had a shtick that he did involving knives and his keyboards. The highlight of the show that I remember was Greg Lake on acoustic doing "Just Take a Pebble". A beautiful song.

Just take a pebble and cast it to the sea,

Then watch the ripples that unfold into me

My face spills so gently into your eyes

Disturbing the waters of our lives

Thanks for the tunes, the memories, and filling our lives with great music played well

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have been relearning 'From the beginning' on guitar since I read of his death. Great guitar piece. RIP

Latest posts

Latest posts