What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds from Herm'ed Plant

kald

Hey guys,

Got a question here that I think I have the answer to.

We were running a clone-only crop (pretty sure not feminized), and one of the ladies herm'ed due to stress. This one was having a hard time throughout the flower cycle, and it produced <5 seeds.

This smoke is great, strong strain, and resistant to the conditions in our room. I think it is worth it to pop them and give them a shot, but I was hoping that someone would be able to provide some more input on the situation, since my knowledge is lacking in this department.

From browsing around, it seems like the likelihood of them herm'ing again is increased as a result of the process that created the seeds. That said, I can't see that the plant will undergo the same stress - we had over a half a dozen plants and none of them exhibited the same response. They were all cuttings from the same plant, but for whatever reason, this one did not like its environment.

If these seeds popped from stress from a female plant, what is the likelihood of the seeds coming out as strong females? I figure that we will pop them either way and see how things play out, but wanted to get an idea of what we're getting ourselves into.

Thanks!

Scrappy-doo

I've popped some seeds from stressed female pollen before. It was only a small handful, but I harvested normal healthy females from them.

M

mugenbao

I have popped at least a dozen seeds from stress herms over the years, and have gotten some exceptional plants from them that seem perfectly normal. One of the plants I have as a mother right now come from such a seed, and it's definitely one of my favorite keepers right now. It actually surpassed the stress-herm mother in almost every way. I've pollinated clones from it, and the progeny always seem pretty stable to me. Having said that, I don't ever pass along seeds to anyone as they all for my own exclusive personal use, so nobody has to be concerned that I'm contributing herm genese to the cannabis gene pool :D

growingcrazy

In your case where you only have one single plant out of a whole room that made seed I would be a little more cautious.

It is true that stress induced herms could very easily produce straight sex plants. I would just be cautious with that specific plant. Could have been a fem lined used somewhere in the genes or just a weak specimen that can't tolerate changing conditions.

Peace
GC

kald

Thanks for all of the input. We had a decent number of these plants and only this one seemed to herm for whatever reason. We're confidient in the genetics, and think that it's worth a shot. I'm unsure as to why this particular one was stressed, but it may be our good luck. It seems like these are worth popping and just monitoring for potential herming.

Thanks!