What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Critical Mass just a pheno of Big Bud?

Aota1

I used to see a whole lot of Salmon Creek BB and other versions but rarely see or hear of anything called big bud these days. Anyone know? I heard the critical mass thing somewhere. What other older classics have been renamed?

WelderDan

Veteran
Critical Mass is Big Bud x Skunk that was then selectively bred IIRC. Sensi still sells Big Bud as far as I know, and there is a Canadian Big Bud that is more Sativa.

Salmon Creek BB was just a select clone of the Sensi BB and it's still around AFAIK

GoatCheese

Veteran
MrNice's Critical Mass is Afghan x Skunk#1

EDIT:
I think the original Big Bud released in seed form By Nevil, was US clone called "Big Bud" crossed to a Skunk#1 male ..but i'm not 100% sure if i got that right

Critical Mass

A reworked excellent version of an old breed once known as Big Bud. This is an absolute must for the cultivator who demands a high yield with an equally high stone. It is the heaviest plant currently in production for commercial farmers and outdoor crops, resembling the male genital protrusion of a giant donkey. Due to its heavy flower construction it can be susceptible to mould if the growing area is too high with humidity. So be warned, harvest on time!!! It has a genetic pedigree originating from a particularly heavy Afghani combined with the original Skunk#1. An expected yield indoors would be realistic at 650-750 grams per square meter... possibly more for the experienced cultivators? If you cultivate outdoors then expect to harvest in September for the northern hemisphere and by March for those in the southern hemisphere. Breed by the original breeder and founder of the original Seed Bank.

Last edited:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I don't think the Afghan originally used was the Big Bud clone. I haven't grown BB itself, but do know several BB hybrids pretty well and it seems to me to bring a kind of dark earthy flavour, whereas the Afghani used in Critical Mass has a distinctive sweet small, taste. I also cannot remember any mention of the BB clone being used in CM.

Fuel

I like this blood, versatile in all type of hybrids and funky. But the CM is not 90's BB/SCBB (my favorite).

CM have a better leaf/flower ratio, more performance in cloning process and is more sensible to mildiew. And the well known "sweet/tasty" phenos are less common, you can get the equivalent of the bilbo cut more easy with BB. Trichomes appear more stocky too, but it's more a personnal impression for this last one. In fact the CM remember me more the old B52 in its difference and final shape in flowering stage.

Typic stretch, potency, type of high, the sativa shape / indica flowers style, nutes assimilation still very close imho.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I got it partly wrong. Apparently the Big Bud clone was crossed to Northern Lights #1, not Skunk
..and then BX'd to the BB clone

Check this out

7507SB87-insert-copy.jpg

Peace.
:)

GoatCheese

Veteran
So..
What i have gathered, Critical Mass is actually made out of seeds that came from the original Big Bud clone pollinated with a Skunk#1 male.
The Big Bud clone from US was apparently a heavy yielding pure Afghani.

Nevil states that MrNice's Critical mass was made with his old Big Bud clone x Skunk seeds, selection made by Shantibaba. Old school genetics. Now i'm glad i have a pack.

Here's Nevil commenting the origins of Bubblegum and mentions Critical Mass

Nevil said:
It wasn't developed in the US. That's just the standard bullshit these boys put out to avoid admitting that it was pure Seed Bank stock.
The original BG was nice. I believe that it was a
Big Bud Skunk X Nl5 SK cross. Later inbreedings, produced an inferior product.
I don't know about Silverback, but I do know my strains.
Critical Mass, also comes from the BBSK line. Try crossing it to NL5SK, the result may burst a bubble.
N.
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/73080-post7.html

Betterhaff

Veteran
Nevil states that MrNice's Critical mass was made with his old Big Bud clone x Skunk seeds, selection made by Shantibaba.
That’s the way I read it, Shanti made selections from Nevil’s Big Bud/Skunk #1 seed line, probably selecting to the Big Bud side.

Both Shanti and Nevil can be a little cryptic at times. In reading Shanti’s descriptions:

Family of breed: Afghan x Skunk #1 (origins of Afghan/Mexican/Columbian)

“It has a genetic pedigree originating from a particularly heavy Afghani combined with the original Skunk #1.”

“Breed by the original breeder and founder of the original Seed Bank.”

GoatCheese

Veteran
That’s the way I read it, Shanti made selections from Nevil’s Big Bud/Skunk #1 seed line, probably selecting to the Big Bud side.

Both Shanti and Nevil can be a little cryptic at times. In reading Shanti’s descriptions:

Family of breed: Afghan x Skunk #1 (origins of Afghan/Mexican/Columbian)

“It has a genetic pedigree originating from a particularly heavy Afghani combined with the original Skunk #1.”

“Breed by the original breeder and founder of the original Seed Bank.”

Yea, and i have got the impression that Nevil liked abit skunkier skunks, so there could be plenty of Affie influence in the Skunk male also.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
So..
What i have gathered, Critical Mass is actually made out of seeds that came from the original Big Bud clone pollinated with a Skunk#1 male.
The Big Bud clone from US was apparently a heavy yielding pure Afghani.

Nevil states that MrNice's Critical mass was made with his old Big Bud clone x Skunk seeds, selection made by Shantibaba. Old school genetics. Now i'm glad i have a pack.

Here's Nevil commenting the origins of Bubblegum and mentions Critical Mass

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/73080-post7.html

Those two are a pair of liars whose success went to their heads, they love to claim to be the origins of every single plant ever...

It wasn't developed in the US. That's just the standard bullshit these boys put out to avoid admitting that it was pure Seed Bank stock.
The original BG was nice. I believe that it was a
Big Bud Skunk X Nl5 SK cross

Amazingly he seems to have forgotten that all the classic building blocks of his Indica WLD strains came from these "boys" ... and believes that nobody else could have possibly done anything, it is just "standard bullshit"

Does anybody else in the cold light of day really believe that you can "tell" that the Bubblegum clone from Indiana is a 4 way hybrid ? Nobody apart from a deluded smack addled liar with a galactic sized ego and bullshit to sell.

Northern Lights, Big Bud, Hash Plant, and G-13 went to the Netherlands from the Pacific Northwest where they were created, Nevile did not create these plants, but loves to claim credit for everything that has ever been smoked, so how does he "know" that a clone from Indiana is "his work"... He doesen't, he is the biggest liar in the world of Cannabis by a mile.

GoatCheese

Veteran
^^^^
When it comes to talk about breeders and pollen chuckers, i'm just not very interested.
I've learned good tips from Sam S, Nevil, DJ Short, Chimera, Dubi etc.. and from regular growers here at the forums, but the shit-chat i just don't care.

But to claim that no one is able to guess genetics by blind fold smoke and smell test or by looks, is beyond me. You can't mean that.
..i can, and i'm not that experienced grower or smoker. And i'm not the only one either.
If you go read Amsterdam Coffeeshop Direct, a coffeeshop forum, people are constantly talking about coffeeshops selling re-named weed. Get to reading, i'm not making it up
http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/index.php
But maybe you're just abit different than some, i dunno. You're not mixing tobaco with your weed, are you. Might affect the taste. :biggrin:

No worries :)

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
I smoke pure and get to see a lot of varieties, I also "help" a friend name unnamed varieties for his club, for LOLz...

You really cannot tell the parental lines of much by smoking, yes, some very distinct varieties you can, but Indica x Skunk x Indica x Skunk... Sorry, I strongly believe that nobody can claim to id anything much from undistinctive polyhibrids like those.

Nevile has a long history of making wild claims and setting himself up to be the great ganja guru, it is pure bullshit in my view.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I think Shantibaba is even more covered in shit than Nevil... he's a con artist who presents himself as a worldwide renowned breeder, reminds me of someone else lol.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, i've read one rumor that said "Shanti has lost most of his original parents and everything is now crossed to White Widow"..
..come on.
Maybe you guys see lies and conspiracies every where?? ...which is quite rich coming from 9/11 truther. :biggrin:
But fuk it ...smoke on!

Aota1

What are some other renamed strains? Also, the bubba Kush I see these days, whether it's pre 98 or another, is not the bubba we had circa 01' in Humboldt. That bubba regularly produced half as much as anything else no matter who grew it or where. Today's bubba is a lot chunkier, not as flavorful, and red haired. Looking like a beastly version maybe with Afghan influence. I never grew more than a few bubba's at a time for headstash because of the production issue. I'm sure someone has the og bubba and I'd love to see her again!

Apomixis

Coincidentally, I was looking into this just the other day...

My take on the subject is Critical Mass was created by Shantibaba/Mr. Nice Seeds (Afghani x Skunk #1) in homage to the popular "Big Bud" line (Big Bud clone x NL) created by Nevil. Despite their connection, it does not appear Critical Mass contains "Big Bud" genetics.

As usual, dates for when these events occurred would be helpful in putting them into historical context.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Coincidentally, I was looking into this just the other day...

My take on the subject is Critical Mass was created by Shantibaba/Mr. Nice Seeds (Afghani x Skunk #1) in homage to the popular "Big Bud" line (Big Bud clone x NL) created by Nevil. Despite their connection, it does not appear Critical Mass contains "Big Bud" genetics.

As usual, dates for when these events occurred would be helpful in putting them into historical context.

Well, according to Nevil Critical Mass is related to The Seed Banks Big Bud via genetics from the "big bud"-clone that originally came from USA, but Critical Mass does not have any Nl#1 in it.

One thing we don't know is, how inbred were the Big Bud-clone x Skunk#1 seeds when Shanti got them from Nevil; were they F1 seeds or more inbred already.
..and then alot depends on Shanti's selection after he grew Nevil's old seeds. So the outcome really can be quite different to the Big Bud Nevil was selling in the 80's and what Sensi Seeds is selling.

I've read Shanti saying in general that Nevil and him wouldn't necessarily make the same selection when it comes to choosing parents out of seed lines. Nevil only provided the seeds but didn't take part in selection process, i understand.

Apomixis

GC,
I'm aware of Nevil's posts and perhaps stating Critical Mass doesn't contain Big Bud genetics appears factually incorrect; I apologize.

(link pulled)

Notice Mr. Nice's description simultaneously states it's pedigree is Afghani x Skunk #1 & that the breed originated from Nevil? Considering Nevil's posts, there appears to be some inconsistencies. I propose a couple of theories:
A) Originally, Critical Mass was derived from Big Bud genetics (via Nevil) but over time has been reworked and maintained by Mr. Nice Seeds as Afghani x Skunk#1
B)The "Afghani" used by Shanti is a generalized description for a Big Bud related line he obtained via Nevil.
C)Both of these dudes are full of crap and any attempts to sort out their fishing stories shouldn't be undertaken so seriously.

Any combination of the above theories are plausible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts