What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michigan medical marihuana knock and talk AKA compliance checks.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Knock-and-talk is a bad policy, because it sets up an adversarial relationship between citizens and the police.
Instead of encouraging people to support their local police force, knock-and-talk creates an atmosphere of fear and distrust.

In Michigan, the police seem to have great deal of legal authority and ability to search a person’s home. It goes without saying that police have the right to search your home if they have applied and received a search warrant from a Judge. There are many ways to get a search warrant and police will often obtain one prior to raiding a home. The most important thing needed to obtain a search warrant is probable cause that a crime is being committed or was committed.
However, police will use an abundance of tactics to get into your home so that they can obtain evidence even without a warrant. This is where your right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures comes in. The police cannot do anything they want. Under the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution and Article 1, § 11 of the Michigan Constitution, individuals have the right to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures where they have an expectation of privacy.

Well one exception is when police have objective evidence that you are destroying evidence and have to break into your home to stop it. Another is when police believe that there is a medical emergency and need to break in to help a dying or injured person. A third exception is when police are pursuing a fleeing felon and they enter a home in pursuit. In that case, police are justified in entering the home. However, simply standing outside of a home and seeing evidence of a crime or smelling marijuana does not justify a police officer entering your home without a warrant. The police may use that evidence to obtain a warrant, but they are not allowed to break in without your permission for those reasons.

Here Is The Opinion From The Michigan Court of Appeals in 2001

“We conclude that in the context of knock and talk the mere fact that the officers initiated contact with a citizen does not implicate constitutional protection. IT is unreasonable to think that simply because one is at home that they are free form having the police come to their house an initiate a conversation. The fact that the motive for the contact is an attempt to secure permission to conduct a search does not change that reason. We find nothing within a constitutional framework that would preclude the police form setting the process in motion by imitating contact and, consequently, we hold that the knock and talk tactic employed by the police is constitutional.”
Recently, our Supreme Court has decided to take up the question of whether police can employ this tactic in the dark at 5 in the morning and still have it be considered constitutional. However, as of now it is constitutional. As citizens, we all must remember that we have the right to ignore the police regardless of how much of disturbance they cause, regardless of what the police themselves say to those they are trying coerce, and regardless of the tactics they employ.

Never Give The Police Entry Into Your Home Without A Warrant

What to do in the event of a police Knock and Talk at your home or grow facility.
Click on the video below.
[YOUTUBEIF]7G2TUfYVHRU[/YOUTUBEIF]

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Act does not protect a person from arrest if the person's registry identification card is not reasonably accessible at the location of arrest.

The caregiver must however have the patient’s paperwork at the location of the grow facility.

A patient has the right to possess 12 plants and-or 2.5 ounces of the drug. Caregivers have the right to supply up to six people with medical marijuana and possess up to 72 plants.

More people might decline these searches if cops had to inform them of the right to refuse, said Florida State University College of Law Associate Dean Wayne Logan. "Unlike Miranda, police don't have to advise homeowners of their Fourth Amendment rights," he said.

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday gave police more leeway to break into homes or apartments in search of illegal drugs when they suspect the evidence might be destroyed.

The justices said officers who smell marijuana and loudly knock on the door may break in if they hear sounds that suggest the residents are scurrying to hide the drugs.
And once residents let officers in, they have little recourse if police ransack their homes or violate their rights, said Orlando defense attorney Donald A. Lykkebak. "The smart thing to do is insist they get a warrant."

Please stay in complete compliance for your own safety!

TheMan13

Veteran
Being an MMMA patient and/or caregiver will not protect you, your home or family from being violently raided and having your medicine and property seized. Simply the smell of marijuana or finding some sticks/stems in your garbage still justifies probable cause, just as it had prior to MMMA. They will actually seize your MMMA card(s) along with everything else.

Please read Court of Appeals of Michigan People v Anthony Ryan Brown:
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/mi-court-of-appeals/1610632.html

Our medical marijuana law (MMMA) has been nullified by our activist courts conflict of interest and inept criminal defense over the years into a very narrow medical exception and we must take heed ...

shaggyballs

Veteran
A pole barn or out building is fair game for police to walk up to, look in every open crevice, sniff around all they want to without violating your privacy rights.

It would be best if the building was protected by a large privacy fence with a locked gate.
They would then only be able to approach the locked fence and gate.

But while officers are standing outside the locked fence, if they can peer into the windows or any small openings and or have the ability detect a smell that reveals a grow operation inside whether or not it is a legal one, this now becomes probable cause for a search warrant.

TheMan13

Veteran
Far to many of us have become complacent since MMMA. Considering Michigan has seen a 17% increase in marijuana possession arrests since 2008, it seems more than a few are banking on that ...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A pole barn or out building is fair game for police to walk up to, look in every open crevice, sniff around all they want to without violating your privacy rights.

It would be best if the building was protected by a large privacy fence with a locked gate.

But while officers are standing outside the locked fence, if they can peer into the windows or any small openings and or have the ability detect a smell that reveals a grow operation inside whether or not it is a legal one, this now becomes probable cause for a search warrant.

If a cop just arbitrarily come up & starts snooping around...
It's called a warrentless search & should not stand in court.
I'm not saying cops don't do this but knowing your Rights is probably more important than knowing what each statute or regulation says.

After all:
'Any law that violates the Constitution is void.' per Maybury v Madison, US Supreme Court.
This case ruling has never been overturned.

TheMan13

Veteran
With this new law (MMFLA) now in effect, if I were an MMMA patient/caregiver providing overages to a dispensary I would take heed. There is a new 2 year felony on the books now aimed directly at you ...

P-NUT

Veteran

I read of a case that went to the US supreme court and they ruled it was legal to search a guys locked barn at night without warrant or permission. It was inside a fence w a locked gate. Because the barn wasnt located within the fence surrounding his yard it wasnt within the curtilage of his home and therefore not subject to 4th amendment protections. Cant rememeber the name of the case but it was out of Texas and had to do w meth if I remember correctly. I still cant believe people will argue how free we are when cops can go anywhere they damn well please on your property unless you have a fence around your yard. I guess most people dont care cuz a yard is all they got but I got lots of property and that shit really bothers me. I own it but some dick with a badge can tresspass and get bit by my dogs and I somehow am to blame cuz I let them roam on my property at night? Wtf is America becoming?

Where is this "new law" url for mi?

I looked at it last week and the link is removed off their website . What's going on and why is anyone talking about it?

Is this best suggested link and is there anymore laws and/or info?
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/publicact/htm/2016-PA-0281.htm

Here is a significant change to the law...

(p) “Plant” means any living organism that produces its own food through photosynthesis and has observable root formation or is in growth material.

Notice the or part..... now a cutting even without roots is a plant.... and air layers are also plants .........

shaggyballs

Veteran
Here is a significant change to the law...

(p) “Plant” means any living organism that produces its own food through photosynthesis and has observable root formation or is in growth material.

Notice the or part..... now a cutting even without roots is a plant.... and air layers are also plants .........

Good to know.
Thanks

redlaser

Veteran
I read of a case that went to the US supreme court and they ruled it was legal to search a guys locked barn at night without warrant or permission. It was inside a fence w a locked gate. Because the barn wasnt located within the fence surrounding his yard it wasnt within the curtilage of his home and therefore not subject to 4th amendment protections. Cant rememeber the name of the case but it was out of Texas and had to do w meth if I remember correctly. I still cant believe people will argue how free we are when cops can go anywhere they damn well please on your property unless you have a fence around your yard. I guess most people dont care cuz a yard is all they got but I got lots of property and that shit really bothers me. I own it but some dick with a badge can tresspass and get bit by my dogs and I somehow am to blame cuz I let them roam on my property at night? Wtf is America becoming?
Fenced with a locked gate is still the best way to go, in some states you need to post no trespassing signs as well.
Hard to believe you would have to post it, but it does cover you somewhat.
Can definately add up if you have a lot to fence and gate but you have to expect that visit. Plus it keeps ahole trespassers at bay better

Thanks shaggy....

I posted this hoping I could prevent even one grower from needlessly being charged with a felony..... spread the word everyone in michigan....

They can go to f'in Blazes. Corrupt Michisippi. We never had a program. Not really. And now it will be completely co opted by Liquor companies doing the deliveries, and cronyism at the highest level regarding future facilities.

It's Black Market or move to a different state, IMHO