Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > Arduino based plant watering system using Soil Moisture Sensors

Thread Title Search
Arduino based plant watering system using Soil Moisture Sensors Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2016, 07:53 PM #1
epicseeds
dodi man

epicseeds will become famous soon enoughepicseeds will become famous soon enough
Arduino based plant watering system using Soil Moisture Sensors

I feel like this is the holy grail of watering systems for coco - a digital blumat!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WRY56i8RA

Here is another video with really good editing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Q1WKCtWiA

Many respected coco growers here claim coco's true potential is unleashed with multiple feedings per day, keeping the moisture consistent.

Some even have found that you don't need runoff with a multifeed system.

The above video shows a system where actual moisture levels can be constantly monitored and recorded. When the coco hits a specifically defined moisture level, a dripper system can be activated.

Anyone here ever make something like this?

I have never soldered or coded a thing in my life but I make computers/servers for a living and am up for the task. Just trying to find a set of detailed instructions for it. Most other projects with arduino growing bots seem to revolve around climate control.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:42 PM #2
Thescot

Thescot will become famous soon enoughThescot will become famous soon enoughThescot will become famous soon enough
The project is certainly doable but in my experience the Arduino moisture sensors are not to acurate. Often they just have a open/closed circuit with a potentiometer to adjust. I use a photon (Arduino with wifi) for monitoring environment it also has a nice development environment for people new to coding. Another issue may be the amount of units you would need to build. Which would include multiple arduinos. In most cases following k.i.s.s. is the way to go. Ive had great luck with blumats and Coco.
Thescot is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2016, 04:48 AM #3
Carlz0r

Carlz0r is on a distinguished road
I'm currently in the process of automating a micro-grow using a TI CC3200 launchpad microcontroller as well as a variety of sensors for soil moisture, temperatures, humidity, etc. The plan is to have it serve a simple webpage so that I can monitor my plants from wherever.
Carlz0r is offline Quote

Old 11-22-2016, 11:13 AM #4
Fourtay
IC Mag Supporter

Fourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura about
has anyone found a good moisture meter / probe?
Fourtay is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2016, 11:06 PM #5
ridoo

ridoo will become famous soon enoughridoo will become famous soon enoughridoo will become famous soon enough
give a look to Grove sensors and shield
it's very simple to use, you can design whatever you want
the coding is not that hard

i assembled and coded a simple thermometer with ldc display and a led alert if temp goes above 25°C and screen change color from green to red in same time...lol...just wanted to test things okay

all this took me 4hours, and i'm not electrician nor electronician neither a coding guy

Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 AM #6
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtay View Post
has anyone found a good moisture meter / probe?
Still got the same question 2 years later! Anybody found a decent one that the traces don't dissolve in a week?
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 09:53 AM #7
OakyJoe
OGJoe

OakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant future
OakyJoe has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
i've tested a few different moisture meter sensors so far the last months & years...

from crazy cheap to expensive ones there isnt a HUGE difference to em... from what i've seen there a 3 different basic models...

luposolitario: when the devil caresses you wants something

WHIPEDMEAT: only dumbs clone from 12/12

When you was inside watching Netflix
I was in the crop house wiring electrics

Sometimes people get more high on stories than plants

Das maximale Volumen subterraner Agrarprodukte ist reziprok proportional zur intellektuellen Kapazität des Produzenten

Life is better than you can even imagine.
Life is everything.
Life is love.

I'm free from your spell
Oh I'm free, free, free now
I'm free from your spell
And now that it's all over
All I can do is wish you well
  • Plants require 18 essential nutrients to grow and survive, classified by their importance into macronutrients (C, H, O, N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S) and micronutrients (B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn, Mo, Cl, Co, Ni). Study Tip!
  • Nutrients may be mobile or immobile in the plant and in the soil, which influences redistribution of nutrients and display of deficiency symptoms, and the fertilization of crops.
OakyJoe is offline Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 09:59 AM #8
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Alright thank you for the info! I just picked up a kit so I'm excited to try a bunch of stuff out and I noticed all the reviews for the moisture sensors said they sucked hard.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 AM #9
OakyJoe
OGJoe

OakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant futureOakyJoe has a brilliant future
OakyJoe has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
FC-28

YL-69

HL-69

Analog Capacitive Soil Moisture Sensor- Corrosion Resistant
(This product measures soil moisture levels by capacitive sensing, rather than resistive sensing like other types of moisture sensor. It is made of a corrosion resistant material giving it a long service life. Insert it into soil and impress your friends with the real-time soil moisture data!)

Gravity: Analog Soil Moisture Sensor For Arduino

luposolitario: when the devil caresses you wants something

WHIPEDMEAT: only dumbs clone from 12/12

When you was inside watching Netflix
I was in the crop house wiring electrics

Sometimes people get more high on stories than plants

Das maximale Volumen subterraner Agrarprodukte ist reziprok proportional zur intellektuellen Kapazität des Produzenten

Life is better than you can even imagine.
Life is everything.
Life is love.

I'm free from your spell
Oh I'm free, free, free now
I'm free from your spell
And now that it's all over
All I can do is wish you well
  • Plants require 18 essential nutrients to grow and survive, classified by their importance into macronutrients (C, H, O, N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S) and micronutrients (B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn, Mo, Cl, Co, Ni). Study Tip!
  • Nutrients may be mobile or immobile in the plant and in the soil, which influences redistribution of nutrients and display of deficiency symptoms, and the fertilization of crops.
OakyJoe is offline Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM #10
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

The top 3 are the trash kinds that lose their electrical connections in a week, from my understanding. That 4th one looks promising, but some of the reviews for it mention it stops giving meaningful voltages within a month or two. I think it's just really hard to make something that is electrically capacitive but also have it survive in the soil we use which is chock full of "stuff". Thank you though I will check out that dfrobot gravity for sure!