What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Avoiding cross pollination with males

So I will be able to keep males of 3 or 4 strains in one growing area.

The idea is to flower them and then use them to pollinate 3 or 4 females of different varieties.

Will the pollen from one male plant fall on the other male plants and then be transferred to the female plant so the female plant gets pollinated by multiple different strains of male plants instead of the one I choose.

Because once the male plants start to flower I intend to take one male plant out of the veg area and put it somewhere by itself with a sole female plant, and then shake the male plant so pollen goes all over the female plant.

And then repeat with another male and female plant of a different strain.

I would like to know that all the seeds the female plant produces have a single origin, not cross pollinated from the other male plants, but I'm thinking this may be hard to avoid, as I dont' have the facilities to keep each male plant separate.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
The only way is to isolate the male in its own filtered
area. Some have had success with a make shift male
isolation chamber within the flower area.

Here's one:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=46076

Failing that, flower one male at a time to be sure,
and afterwards wipe down grow area thoroughly

If you flower several males at the same time,
as you describe, there can be no certainty as to which
female got which pollen.

WelderDan

Veteran
Cut a branch from each male just before pollen drop. Put them in a glass of water and segregate them. Collect pollen from each individual male and store separately. Apply to a single branch with an artist brush or Q-Tip and label accordingly. Problem solved. A little pollen goes a long way. 1/4 teaspoon will give you thousands of seeds.

LostTribe

Premium user
Cut a branch from each male just before pollen drop. Put them in a glass of water and segregate them. Collect pollen from each individual male and store separately. Apply to a single branch with an artist brush or Q-Tip and label accordingly. Problem solved. A little pollen goes a long way. 1/4 teaspoon will give you thousands of seeds.

Have you tried that method?

corky1968

Veteran
You can do it and let the pollen fly all over the place.

Selective breeding? Probably not a chance.

Hint: pollen flies all over the place.

Scrappy-doo

Spray the selected male down real good with water before bringing it into isolation with selected female. This will deactivate any stray pollen from the other males that may have fallen on him.

corky1968

Veteran
Spray the selected male down real good with water before bringing it into isolation with selected female. This will deactivate any stray pollen from the other males that may have fallen on him.

I've used my bathroom to hold an isolated flowering male before.

I would bring out the select female to him, put them in the shower, close the door,
close the shower curtain, pollinate, spray clean myself, sneak out and close the door.

3 days with the male alone in their honeymoon suite and once the female showed
signs of pollination. I killed the male and spray the female good and the next day
bring her back to the main room. Mature plants don't need strong lights to stay
alive for a few days. I left my bathroom light on for 12 hours then.

The only problem is you can't have anyone else using your bathroom when you do this.

Women freak if you try this. :laughing:

I think now I might just use males of 2 strains, and do the rest another run.

I'm thinking of Critical Mass male crossed with Black Widow, Bubba's Gift x Black Widow, 707 Truthband x Black Widow and C-Plus F3.

And then keeping a C-Plus male and crossing that with a Black Widow.

That will give me five "strains".

My "breeding" consists generally of rolling the dice and seeing what happens.

romanoweed

Could i actually shower my Males all together, or await strong Rain outdoors, to kill all living pollen at once, then when halfdried next day put Pollinating bags on every individual MAle.. Hopefully befor they rot inside the bag in one Week have enough fresh generated pollen inside the Pollination Bags????

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can't leave the plants in a plastic bag for a week. They may not need as much oxygen as you and I do, but they still need to breathe or they'll die.

romanoweed

I said pollination-Bags, they have holes, wich let air trough, but no pollen:
picture.php

I also had the Idea of actually placing them before every single Male opens its Sacks, so not a single Pollen is floating around, but then i may waiste even more Days, with unopened Pollensacks if im not right in Time. Just have to know exactly when that is..
One Person said after 7 to 10 Days inside Pollenbags, his Females,(wich are a bit bushier than males) seemed in danger of rotting, so he took them off. He also said when there is much Rainfall, the Danger is much higher for Rotting, so it could be even less. I hope inside this Timeframe i can do it.

D3pthCharg3

I've used my bathroom to hold an isolated flowering male before.

I would bring out the select female to him, put them in the shower, close the door,
close the shower curtain, pollinate, spray clean myself, sneak out and close the door.

3 days with the male alone in their honeymoon suite and once the female showed
signs of pollination. I killed the male and spray the female good and the next day
bring her back to the main room. Mature plants don't need strong lights to stay
alive for a few days. I left my bathroom light on for 12 hours then.

The only problem is you can't have anyone else using your bathroom when you do this.

Women freak if you try this. :laughing:

My mens club sounds very much like yours...and my wife wants to know why she's not allowed in that bathroom too...Is there something goin on down there? Haha. Shower also allows for excellent clean up, turn it on and bye bye extra pollen...If there's a will, there's a way

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Those pollen bags look very handy. :)

My idea, a few months ago, was to keep all males in one location. You can delay flowering by cutting off any forming flowers. You can cut branches, spray/dunk them clean and place them in a pollen collection area. With proper pruning, you should be able to rotate all males through the collection phase, no?

I can see this being rather easy with dwc bonsai plants. ;)

djonkoman

Veteran
I have never used those pollination bags in that way(to gather pollen), but I do use them on my outdoor plants after handpollinating selected buds, to keep the pollen away from the rest of the plant, and so I can make multiple crosses on the same plant without mixing.

you can order those bags from ebay, they're pretty cheap. also nice since it's a kind of paper(needs to be breathable, with plastic you'd get condense), you can write on the bags. I usually write date of pollination+pollen used. then after around a week I remove them, since if those pollination bags get wet from rain, it becomes a budrot-risk. so better not leave them on too long. then after removal I hang them below the bud as a lable.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I said pollination-Bags, they have holes, wich let air trough, but no pollen: View Image

I also had the Idea of actually placing them before every single Male opens its Sacks, so not a single Pollen is floating around, but then i may waiste even more Days, with unopened Pollensacks if im not right in Time. Just have to know exactly when that is..
One Person said after 7 to 10 Days inside Pollenbags, his Females,(wich are a bit bushier than males) seemed in danger of rotting, so he took them off. He also said when there is much Rainfall, the Danger is much higher for Rotting, so it could be even less. I hope inside this Timeframe i can do it.
I apologize.

I would have sworn I had read plastic bags.

romanoweed

You can cut branches, spray/dunk them clean and place them in a pollen collection area.
But does this dunking work ALONE even they stood in middle of other Males? Actually right if you cut all others sacks long before exploding, so eventually not even spraying needed, then milk them at separate place, but you might only do this with a couple males per season, cause to re-form pollensacks until explosion, might take 2 weeks or more..
But cutting Sacks and then putting them into bags is what im thinking.. If outdoors place a Plasticroof, so no Rain creates high Mold. The Cutting Idea is good, eventually

Experts? Please