What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skunk One could it be done.

AmericanShamen

I was wondering if a breeder could breed a similar version to the Original nose melting Skunk1, using around the same parental heritage
If breed' with W.O.S Afghani LR- x W.O.S Columbian Gold- x Sensi Mexican sativa -
would it be possible to find that really good selection , Using numbers and a few good years.
I just miss that really smelly skunk in the late 90s i found in a relatives stash labeled Cultivators choice Skunk 1 man if i only knew what i know now...

WelderDan

Veteran
Not with those genetics.

The Sensi Mexican Sativa is (Durban x Pakistani Hashplant) x Oaxacan. Or the other way around. Regardless, none of those strains are close to what Sam had access to.

I doubt it could be done using Sam's original stock, unless Sam himself worked it.

WelderDan

Veteran
You also have to realize that Sam didn't just take a few seeds, make a pollen chuck and call it a day. If you have ever read any of his postings, you'd know he selects from as large a population as possible, and only selects the best. And he didn't stop after the first cross. He then went on to grow out large numbers of plants and continued the selection process on the three way cross. Skunk wasn't just crossing three strains. He worked that line, selecting from a large population to achieve the final result.

It wasn't a luck of the draw, it was a work of passion and skill.

Dankwolf

The skunk of old is hard to breed for it does not like to carry over in crosses . any one know why ?

dezman

I dont think it will happen, sam selected from thousand of plants with pure varieties. Colombian gold from world of shi...is too early to be pure. Afghan kush for me it was just crap (to me). And mexi sativa is a polyhibrid...
Even if you have the raw varieties you will need some help from SamS to know what to look for in the selection process.
I bet you can do a similar strain with 3 landraces but it will be luck if you just find something worth by popping 10 seeds of each variety. He said he made selections upon 10000 males!!!

Last edited:

Happy Times

I was wondering if a breeder could breed a similar version to the Original nose melting Skunk1, using around the same parental heritage
If breed' with W.O.S Afghani LR- x W.O.S Columbian Gold- x Sensi Mexican sativa -
would it be possible to find that really good selection , Using numbers and a few good years.
I just miss that really smelly skunk in the late 90s i found in a relatives stash labeled Cultivators choice Skunk 1 man if i only knew what i know now...

If u have a hankering for Sk#1, how about the Flying Dutchmen? Either skunk #1 or the Pure?

No personal experience with these but seems like one of the best modern links to the good old SK#1?

IM$

I also wanted something old school, so I went with Sensi Skunk#1. Im currently growing two Sensi Skunk #1 regs and they are totally different in structure, but the smell on #2 is so much more intense. It has a lemon pledge funk scent.

gallery_2694_5714_60616.jpg

gallery_2694_5714_47200.jpg

I got about two more weeks on the first one, and the second I have about another month or so. They both started slowly in flowering, but have really bulked up now. I like #2 more than one. I will come back in a month once I have smoked them to give a report.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I can't remember too much at the moment, there was the first cross that got femmed then cross to the third parent, so yes it could be possible to redo it, good luck as it may be difficult to sift through the same or similar genetics and get the same result without numbers to find what you need without the same genetics. I would suggest looking to cannabiogen for Colombians, maybe Mexicans, afghan I am not sure, maybe the Pakistani chitral would be close enough or sensi's maple leaf indica?

jahshaka

aint gonna happen in our lifetime...unless sam makes it happen. loved ol skool skunk. all time fave. stuff just dont smell as good anymore. getting nostalgia now...time to roll one...

Dankwolf

I have a good feeling we will see some rks in the next 5 years . there are some top notch breeders working on it now. There might even be a cut still rolling around time will tell .

WelderDan

Veteran
There are only two ways to see a true RKS in the near future (or ever for that matter). 1 - someone, some where has a cut and lets it out. Or 2 - Sam decides to release some of his stash of original genetics. He has the genetics, and he could do it if that was his interest. It's not something he has interest in, as he has already stated. And we have to respect that.

So the only way you will see it is if someone has a cut and lets it out.

And if someone did have a cut, it most assuredly would have been sold for $$$$$$$$

We should just accept that.

Happy Times

I have a good feeling we will see some rks in the next 5 years . there are some top notch breeders working on it now. There might even be a cut still rolling around time will tell .

I think med-Man offers a RKS

And La Plata has the big skunk.

Just read about em online, no personal experience.

mack 10

Veteran
I'm currently trying to source the genetics to remake the skunk.
I'll be going the dank skunky route, not the sweet.
Finding a good Colombian and the Acapulco gold is the hardest part.

Anyone with any tips or ideas, pm me.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm currently trying to source the genetics to remake the skunk.
I'll be going the dank skunky route, not the sweet.
Finding a good Colombian and the Acapulco gold is the hardest part.

Anyone with any tips or ideas, pm me.

Bodhi for the Acapulco Gold!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Usc colombian gold 1972 and mazar from the real seed company and you have the whole pack.

As far as i understand, RSC did the last Mazar i Sharif-repro with a small seed stock ..think they used Mazari seeds gifted back to them By their own customers

Now, this doesn't automatically mean that the new stock isn't any good, but it kinda put me off.
You can read about it on their helpdesk at another canna-forum

Another thing..
Not all Mazaris are extremely skunky, like the one Sam Skunkman used in his Skunk#1, so you'd need a good bunch of seeds to find the skunky ones
:)