What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY BubbleBag Construction

G

I have some lab-grade filter screens and I want to sew them into a set of extraction bags. The filter part is covered, but what material should I use for the shell of the bags?

I am guessing some sort of waterproof nylon? What are suitable materials and what should I avoid? The screens I have are real nice, I don't want to waste them by sewing them onto the wrong bag material.

Of the bags for sale on the market, are they all made of the same material? What material are Bubbleman's bags, and how about Mila's bags? (Or other competitor bags?) What is the strongest and most durable?

I'm also assuming the inner-most (220micron) bag needs to be of a thicker / more rugged material since it is closest to the mixer.

If anyone knows or has experience in making their own bags, please chip in. I'm great with a sewing machine but I need help with what material to order.

Bubbleman: I hope you read this and can help me along. I've heard you are friendly to the few out there who want to sew their own bags. Your professional advice of what types of material I should be looking for would be really helpful. Thanks. =)

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
theres somewhere on here of a couple things liek this...diy bubble bags.. just search out for your information and it will be there...

bubbleman

Veteran
a real cheap method would be to buy some used windbreaker jackets, you could defintily use one jacket per screen.
just an idea

bubble man

G

Would that be strong enough? Some windbreakers are made of pretty thin material, plus there are water-resistant ones (not waterproof). I have to sew them myself so I want them as tough as possible. The local fabric stores do have windbreaker material if it really would be good enough.

Bubbleman: Is windbreaker material really the norm? Are there certain grades of it? I have a 3-bag kit and they seem stronger than windbreaker fabric to me, especially the inner-most bag; it seems like a thick waterproof nylon. I don't really know jack about fabrics though so I'm just guessing by the feel. I'm also reluctant to take my hash bags to fabricland to ask the lady what they are. =)

I've got a few samples on the way of some waterproof nylon. If it's suitable I'll only need a small order and I can get started soon. Otherwise I search on. Aside from windbreaker material, what should I look for?

bubbleman

Veteran
Hey ryoko, yeah windbreaker material is quite thin, but most of the cheaper bags have material much like this> Ours are made from heavy duty gortex, and nylon, but it can be quite expensive. However you can find left over rolls of it sometimes online.
It realy depends on how much you want to spend, and how good a quality you want your dyer's bags to be.
anyway good luck and let us konw how it works out.
peace
bubble man

ps, if your having a problem with a particular size screen, we sell single bags now, so you dont have to buy a whole kit.

tainted

you should just use a solid bucket...sewing leaves holes...plastic weld of sorts...check ebay

and dont use gore-tex...its chemically bonded and treated blown microporous plastic lamenate...its not just a single fabric..its major function is its breathability WITH waterproofing which is hard and expensive--luckly we just need water resistancy...you dont need breathability in a sieve...serves no purpose...and the water resillient outter layer typically needs to be replaced as with gore jackets...so could be ending up in your hash when you bat it around..

trya heavy duty nylon shell...thin elastic epdm rubber would be sweet...

bubbleman

Veteran
hey tainted, thanks for giving out an informative post, without slagging me, i appreciate it.

peace
bubble man

G

Thin elastic epdm rubber? I don't think it would be good if the bags were stretchy.

G

I got some material today, time to see what the sewing machine thinks of it...

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
There is type of soft coolers for camping and sports that seem ideal for the work bag - sitting here on my bum they seem ideal, butt I'm working from memory here. There are soft buckets for camping/military out there too.
H

G

I looked over a few samples and decided to order some waterproof urethane coated nylon. It also happens to be 420 denier (thickness rating of the thread).

I also found some really strong material (practically invincible) for the inner-most bag that will be near the mixer. It's waterproof PVC coated polyester, 600 denier. Stuff is so thick it is hard to sew it on my machine, but I only have to use it for one bag so it will be OK.