What's new

Why does wax turn dark when heated?

mobin

What is turning dark in there?

In my distillation foolin I've noticed that when i had some clear or close to clear that i added heat to would turn yellow.

If i heat a yellow product it would turn more orange then amber to brown as heat does its thing.

Thc turning into cbn with heat and oxidation is what id guess.

blastfrompast

Veteran
i dunno about the thc-cbn stuff, when someone can heat oil at 122'C for 24hours and only show a .2 to .4 % cbn total after 24 hours of much higher heat...

Shame it cost 150 per test locally I think if it was cheaper there would be more testing getting done to nail down these sorts of questions....

i dunno about the thc-cbn stuff, when someone can heat oil at 122'C for 24hours and only show a .2 to .4 % cbn total after 24 hours of much higher heat...

Shame it cost 150 per test locally I think if it was cheaper there would be more testing getting done to nail down these sorts of questions....

I agree .... it's not turning into cbn. I can take a golden crumble and gently heat it to 100'F in ethanol and it'll turn brown.

mobin

You know how you can heat "oil" without degradation to cbn? Vacuum, the lack of oxygen promotes a lack of oxidation to a point.

You don't need a $150 test, that'd be money better spent on a chemistry class. Basic chemistry explains many "phenomena" we witness when dealing with weed shit.

If i can oxidize a clear distillate by breaking the surface tension while taking a sample with clean sili tool at room temerature that must mean something right?

You made an observation and never wondered why what you saw happened and somehow thought it was proof enough to discredit what i posted. Thanks but no thanks bud.

Next time ask why instead of saying someone else is wrong or better yet, improve on what i said by clarifying or being more specific cause i know i like to lose things i should have said.

superglue

a little while back i took some hash i made about 5 years ago out of the freezer and dissolved in alcohol-winterized-evaporated the alcohol into a condenser ....distilled it, and it was darker than usually and eluted at a higher temp than usual so i naturally thought it would be way high in cbn
i ran a sample through my gc and the result was very little cbn but a metric buttload of delta 8 thc and a small amount of delta 9

something to think about

Gry

Veteran
What does is cost you to run such a test ? How large an amount of hash. Did you make the hash and if so do you recall what from ? What does it smoke like now ?
Reminds me of having read about tests done long ago on a 10 year old chuck of seized hash.

mobin

a little while back i took some hash i made about 5 years ago out of the freezer and dissolved in alcohol-winterized-evaporated the alcohol into a condenser ....distilled it, and it was darker than usually and eluted at a higher temp than usual so i naturally thought it would be way high in cbn
i ran a sample through my gc and the result was very little cbn but a metric buttload of delta 8 thc and a small amount of delta 9

something to think about

2 hydrogens away from cbn. oxidized.

superglue

What does is cost you to run such a test ?
How large an amount of hash. Did you make the hash and if so do you recall what from ? What does it smoke like now ?
Reminds me of having read about tests done long ago on a 10 year old chuck of seized hash.

"What does is cost you to run such a test ?"

without trying to amortize every thing and just go by the alcohol and hydrogen used per test...i'd guess a quarter,maybe 50 cents

half pound of bubble hash from suges pure kush

whats it smoke like now? wouldn't know as i vape cbd mostly now
some friends like it however

superglue

Why is fractioned concentrate not dark ? Isn't it heated during the process?

couple thing come to mind
when distilling,it is in a reasonably deep vacuum so theres not much oxygen to oxidize with but i think the main culprit that darkens as it is heated would be something in the c30+ group or even high c20's that is left as waste when distilling but still present in a extract

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why is fractioned concentrate not dark ? Isn't it heated during the process?

The C-10 through C-15 molecules typically have little color, with most color in the C-30 molecule range, such as anthro cyanin plant pigments.

Not only do the add color, but they are also glucosides (plant sugars) that caramelize and darken with heat.

When I've mostly emptied small glass jars of C-21 Clear fraction, I set them on my electric nail to heat up. I then set them at an angle that lets everything left, melt and run down to one side of the bottom for easier scraping.

What I noticed, is that it also noticeably darkens, suggesting that CBN (or other break down products) may have more color than the light yellow THC.

superglue

2 hydrogens away from cbn. oxidized.
from ethan russo with a bit of edit

delta 8 and it's precursor d8a are considered to be artifacts via migration of the double bond from the 9,10 position to the more thermodynamically stable 8,9 position
then he goes on to say d8 is approx 80% as potent as d9

from other reading taken at face value
it seems d8 exposed to uv will convert to cbn which is only 10% of the original d9

interesting

so d8 is less psychotropic than d9 and cbn is in the basement
my guess without actual first hand knowledge is that they may be better suited to be used in conjunction with cbd

some thoughts