What's new

Running hemp through a butane extraction machine

Josh@Summit

I was wondering if anybody on this thread has every put just hemp into a butane extractor? A few questions regarding the process.

1. What kind of yield is typical for hemp extraction? Is it different between butane and ethanol?

2. Has anybody gotten a butane hemp extract tested for the different types of oils?

3. What kinds of post processing techniques would you need after a butane hemp extract? Can you sell just the purged extract kind of like shatter but with hemp instead?

Your insight would be much appreciated!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

Hopefully people will make clothes, paper, and other products with it so we don't have to further ruin this planet.

Josh@Summit

Yeah, I've seen a lot of new companies at tradeshows who use hemp in a lot of unique ways. I think hemp plastics will be common in the future. This plant is so versatile. No wonder big pharma and large corporations are against legalization, they could lose some business cannabis and hemp products.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering if anybody on this thread has every put just hemp into a butane extractor? A few questions regarding the process.

1. What kind of yield is typical for hemp extraction? Is it different between butane and ethanol?

2. Has anybody gotten a butane hemp extract tested for the different types of oils?

3. What kinds of post processing techniques would you need after a butane hemp extract? Can you sell just the purged extract kind of like shatter but with hemp instead?

Your insight would be much appreciated!

Solly, no direct experience with 100% landrace.

Some of the early high CBD medical strains were pretty close to land race and the oil yield was under 6% from prime bud, but they extracted exactly like those bred for high THC.

They had velly small trichome heads.

Sorry, never tried it with Ethanol. It should be the same as for recreational or medical strains.

We tested ours for THC/CBD/CBN, but not its terpene profile, and it wasn't completely land race. As I recall (?), THC was around <5%, CBD was around 12/15%, and I don't remember what the CBN was.

Yield was bad enough we sought alternative high CBD strains like Maui Bubblegift, and Cannatonic. If you extract in larger batches, yield becomes less of an issue.

CBD isn't brittle at room temperature, so won't make shatter, but a viscous resin instead.

No clue on the marketing aspects.

Josh@Summit

Solly, no direct experience with 100% landrace.

Some of the early high CBD medical strains were pretty close to land race and the oil yield was under 6% from prime bud, but they extracted exactly like those bred for high THC.

They had velly small trichome heads.

Sorry, never tried it with Ethanol. It should be the same as for recreational or medical strains.

We tested ours for THC/CBD/CBN, but not its terpene profile, and it wasn't completely land race. As I recall (?), THC was around <5%, CBD was around 12/15%, and I don't remember what the CBN was.

Yield was bad enough we sought alternative high CBD strains like Maui Bubblegift, and Cannatonic. If you extract in larger batches, yield becomes less of an issue.

CBD isn't brittle at room temperature, so won't make shatter, but a viscous resin instead.

No clue on the marketing aspects.

Awesome, thank you for the run down GW! That is a good start as to what to expect. I think you're right on the money when it comes to comparing hemp with high CBD strains.

I may have some opportunities in the future to process hemp in a large butane machine. I will post results and findings if I can.

I haven't processed any hemp with butane but have done quite a bit with ethanol and depending on your process the yield could be a bit higher with ethanol. Because CBD is predominately a nutraceutical/medical product, many customers have concerns with hydrocarbon based extractions, ethanol and CO2 are most common for hemp. Many of the newer hemp cultivars are 10-17% CBD and around .5% THC so the yields are pretty good.