What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh frozen Quick Wash questions

I am sitting on around 150 liters / 40 gallons of compressed freshly frozen bud and leaves (entire plants except branches). I want to take the goodies out and I settled on alcohol extraction.

Last night I started experimenting. I am confused - 100g of bud and leaves soaked in 600ml of 99% methanol for 10min yielded just a tiny bit of hash.

picture.php

picture.php

Can't weight now but I think it's far too small for that much material, there's quite a bit of bud in there. I tried the extract, а piece the size of 3 lentil grains got me blasted, however I am not amazed.
It melts fully, kind of tricky to smoke in a bong.
_______

I assumed I should have soaked the plant material longer, so I did a second wash. Soaked the same 100gr for 25min. After I cooked the alcohol out, I ended up with black gooey oily shit that doesn't do anything, doesn't even burn for that matter.

picture.php

So it seems that a QUICK wash does extract the goodies right away.

People seems to yield comparable amounts from a fraction of what I used - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=4744884&postcount=686

But I feel like the yield is not adequate? Any feedback?

Last edited:
Did another run with same the quantities. This time I only washed for 30 seconds each time (instead of 10 minutes). Very similar results like the first run - first wash gets you buzzed the same way and second wash is no good (for smoking?). First wash this time was more amber though. And maybe even yielded a bit better.

The taste of both runs is sub par. Potency above average, but this stuff does smoke weird - it melts quickly and the fumes sometimes are more to the unpleasant side (I might be using too high temperature when I am vaping it? so not yet sure)

Any advice?

here now be

Freeze your solvent prior to extraction. I wouldn't suggest a quick wash style on fresh frozen material, yields are going to be lacking for sure. Run your fresh frozen into ice hash and then rosin that would be the best route imo.

Thanks!

Any suggestions on how I could start with Rosin right away instead? Havent heard of it before, now I am looking it up and it looks quite interesting.

What would be the best approach for extraction with no electricity involved? I am rather limited to the woods and even freezing this amount was quite a stretch and I am trying to extract quickly... and hopefully efficiently.

VortexPower420

Veteran
Is your yeild low because you are using fan leaves as well.

I only go for the sugars when I process anything.

You can really lower you THC % by adding stock with no trics

I have some fan leaves, but I managed to closely trim at least half of it and I went only for the fan leaves on some of the rest.

The taste of today's run is quite sub par and I had weird aftertaste at the back of my throat for an hour after smoking. This really makes me feel uneasy as I feel a bit like I am left with no viable options here?

Or is alcohol extraction from fresh plants an OK method and I am messing up somewhere?

hash head

you are likely extracting moisture if you aren't keeping everything frozen.. also you have to consider a 20% yield when running fresh material compared to dry as most of the weight is the moisture content...

soo say you are shooting for a 15% return, 100 grams fresh material; would be equivalent to 20 grams dry material, a 15% return would be 3 grams.. looks like you got a couple grams there..

its possible the material you are using was picked too early or late to produce high yields?

The trichs were starting to turn amber and the plants smelled quite strong, so I assume they were ripe enough when I harvested.

I did the same math before, but looking at the amount of bud and the amount of hash they produced, makes me think "Holy shit! I am fucked if this is all I got from that much work!" :)

What sort of prices do extracts commend there guys? I doubt that I could charge as much as I would for 20g of bud for this piece of hash.

Any idea why the taste is weird?

Also, what results could I expect if I rosin pressed what I have? There is this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cE7OjOm4dI that did uncured bud extraction...
EDIT: Here's the results of freshly pressed rosin HAHAHAH http://imgur.com/0XmUMLM :D

Furthermore, regardless of what extraction method I go with, is it possible to defrost and dry the bud (which would be a bitch, but it seems that it might turn out to be necessary)?

Last edited:
Is getting some bubble bags a option?

Best hash I ever had was fresh frozen bubble.

Unfortunately no... I am currently looking into buying metal screens, they are available in all sizes.

My idea is to make a 200 microns cuboid filter that fits into a barrel (I am going for 'street hash', not really bubble hash). Load ice, plants and water, stir with hand held bore machine and drain water through another filter (I am thinking 30 microns?) to collect the goodies.

I'd still have to buying that much ice... + be working at a property of mine... which I don't really like, but I will if I must... How serious is the smell when doing ice water extraction?

А downside of this approach is that I'd have to dry the hash somewhere as well... I will do a few more alcohol extractions, this time I will keep the alcohol in the freezer and I will run it through a coffee filter before I purge, but it seems to me that alcohol dissolves chlorophyll instantly and it also doesn't play nice with water (therefore fresh frozen...).

And what really gets to me is that there is no clean gas propane / butane for BHO on the market... We only have "propane butane" sold for gas stoves, which smells like shit... Otherwise I would easily do a BHO extraction in the woods and purge elsewhere... :fsu: I could get CO2, but that's not really an option for the woods...

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
I use a glass jar and shake it hard for at least ten minutes after a ten or twenty minute soak. I'm just trying to get as much out as I can I end up with 1.5 or two grams per quarter ounce of brick weed of the more gooey looking stuff. I at first would do 5 minutes of shaking no soak then I tested the weed after I dried it and I still caught a light Buzz so I started soaking for at least ten min or 20 while I smoke a j then shake hard for ten in a closed glass jar I haven't tried smoking this longer soaked stuff I'm sure I get most of everything out this way. I know I'm pulling chlorophyll but I'm still making hash that's stronger than the brick weed and it always smells and taste the same when burnt. After 2 or 3 days drying it's not so hard to handle. I also use foil paper to put the hash on it. This is my method and it works great for me when you smoke buds your smoking a bunch of chlorophyll so I don't see how smoking long wash Iso is any different. Thc ain't the only thing getting you high. Stems don't yield much but a long wash of a hand full of stems will give small amounts of hash that will get you high I have tried it a couple of times when I run out of bud and save the stems from like a half pound of brick weed

Have you tried putting the alcohol back to the freezer after soaking, then running it through a coffee filter before purging/cooking?

The funny thing is, there isn't a big difference in the 10min soak run and the 30sec soak run?!

I am mostly concerned with yield... and potency :) So I am also looking into extracting as much as I could and then cleaning it.

From another forum:
Filtering
Why go through all the trouble of reducing chlorophyll uptake to then use a cheesecloth? Besides not filtering very well it gets wet and you end up losing product. Use coffee filters, solids will get stuck, that's the idea of filtering.

Winterizing
When extracting THC and CBD some lipids and plant waxes will get into your alcohol turning into a shade of green. An easy way to get rid of them is to stick your alcohol in the freezer for about 48 hours at -18C/0F, for the waxes to coagulate. The waxes will precipitate out of solution as the temperature drops and clump together so that they are easily filtered out with a standard coffee filter. THC and CBD will not be affected by temperature so only the unwanteds will be filtered out.

Removing minor green coloration:
After increasing the PH of your ethanol, winterizing and filtering you will still see a green hue to your solvent. These green hues are easily removed by putting your alcohol prior to evaporation but after winterizing and filtering in sunlight or a light from a high UV source, like a grow lamp.
The UV radiation in the sunlight will quickly break down the chlorophyll and cause your oil to look more amber like pancake syrup.

UV radiation also destroys cannabinoids, but fortunately at a much slower rate, so this last step requires careful monitoring and leaving it out the bare minimum of time.

Anyway, I seriously can't see myself getting the return on my investment with extracts as with classic bud... which is sad. But I still have to get to the point of having a marketable product. If I manage to extract everything there is and then remove the impurities that would be optimal, hehe...

Last edited:
The only reason I make $ on live resin at $10/g wholesale is not paying ppl to hang dry and trim. Dry ice hash gets $4/g here. Crunch the numbers and see what's best for you.

I harvest and trim the best 10% of the plant, let the rest of the plant mature for 2 more weeks then extract 90% fresh frozen

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
the taste is bad because your solvent is still in it. probably gonna get sick if you smoke too much methanol.
save it for your race cars.

use ice water extraction, find out where restaurants buy their ice and get busy or use dry ice.

how are you freezing the bud in the field?

Aha! Thanks!! Makes sense, cause the first time I purged well and tastes better, but scraping it was quite hard. So the second run, I didn't let it dry out 100%, so I can scrape easier, thinking that the methanol will eventually evaporate on it's own.

I mentioned in an earlier post that freezing it was quite a stretch and that's why I am trying to extract quickly, meaning that I froze it somewhere and I am trying to get rid of it asap.

I have already found where I could get bulk ice and seriously considered switching to ice, because the alcohol extraction is not what I am after it seems - poor yields of sticky full melt, the masses here wouldn't be impressed, in fact they would find that too weird even if I purged properly and taste was alright. Where I am at, people only mix hash in their joints and very rarely smoke it in a bong.

What screen size do you recommend I use for maximum yield of hand rub grade hash? As long as it tastes good and it does get you there, I am after yields. Still, better grade hash is not available here, so being on the good quality side would be nice.

Last edited:

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
The few times I have tried an ISO wash I always get a powder. I would consider the runs I made similar to a woods extraction. Fresh trim, everclear, mason jar, and panty hose all at room temp. Here is what I get after room temp evaporation from one mason jar full of trim. They were two different runs with two different plants.

The other day I found a local walk-in source for 99% alcohol. So, I think I am going to try this again with a little more refinement to my method. Maybe I can make some oil.

picture.php

picture.php

PDX Dopesmoker

That powder already looks like it should melt down to nice shatter, really impressive for room temp with fresh material. How long was the wash?

Latest posts

Latest posts