What's new

Drug lab explosion in Bronx home kills firefighter

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
An FDNY battalion chief was killed by flying debris when a Bronx drug house explosion tore the roof off the home early Tuesday, injuring another 20 people, authorities said.

Chief Michael Fahy, a 17-year fire veteran who followed his father into the department, was mortally injured by the flying debris as he stood outside the two-story home around 7 a.m.

“We had a tragedy today,” Mayor de Blasio said in announcing the death. “A tragedy has befallen a family, a fire department and our entire city.”

The blast in the Kingsbridge section came about an hour after a passerby called 911 to report an odor of gas around the home at W. 234th St. and Irwin Ave., authorities said.

The rental property, an attached brick residence, was under investigation as a marijuana grow house, said Police Commissioner James O’Neill.

The lone resident inside the house Tuesday exited the home when firefighters arrived.

It was unclear if the pot production contributed to the explosion, and an investigation by the NYPD arson and explosion squad was underway.

“It’s a crime scene, and it will be for a few days to come,” said FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro.

Nine firefighters, six police officers, three Con Edison workers and two civilians were injured by the blast that threw pieces of the roof into the street and smoke billowing into the sky.

Fahy, whose dad Thomas was a decorated FDNY battalion chief, was struck in the head and “various other parts of the body,” said Nigro. He was the father of two boys and a girl, all under the age of 11.

An FDNY battalion chief was killed by flying debris when a Bronx drug house explosion tore the roof off the home early Tuesday, injuring another 20 people, authorities said.

Chief Michael Fahy, a 17-year fire veteran who followed his father into the department, was mortally injured by the flying debris as he stood outside the two-story home around 7 a.m.

“We had a tragedy today,” Mayor de Blasio said in announcing the death. “A tragedy has befallen a family, a fire department and our entire city.”

The blast in the Kingsbridge section came about an hour after a passerby called 911 to report an odor of gas around the home at W. 234th St. and Irwin Ave., authorities said.
Scene of an explosion and fire at 300 W. 234th Street in the Bronx on Tuesday, September 27, 2016. New York (Michael Schwartz for New York Daily News)
25 photos view gallery
Deadly drug lab explosion causes chaos in the Bronx

The rental property, an attached brick residence, was under investigation as a marijuana grow house, said Police Commissioner James O’Neill.

The lone resident inside the house Tuesday exited the home when firefighters arrived.

It was unclear if the pot production contributed to the explosion, and an investigation by the NYPD arson and explosion squad was underway.
The home was being investigated as a marijuana grow house.
The home was being investigated as a marijuana grow house. (Theodore Parisienne for New York Daily News)

“It’s a crime scene, and it will be for a few days to come,” said FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro.

Nine firefighters, six police officers, three Con Edison workers and two civilians were injured by the blast that threw pieces of the roof into the street and smoke billowing into the sky.

Fahy, whose dad Thomas was a decorated FDNY battalion chief, was struck in the head and “various other parts of the body,” said Nigro. He was the father of two boys and a girl, all under the age of 11.
Smoke rises from a home in the Bronx after a drug lab caused a powerful explosion early Tuesday morning.
Smoke rises from a home in the Bronx after a drug lab caused a powerful explosion early Tuesday morning. (AP)

“One of our rising stars,” Nigro said of Fahy. “He was on the rise, he was a star, he was a brave man. ... It’s a loss, a terrible loss, not just for the Fahy family but the fire department family.”

Fahy was pronounced dead at NewYork-Presbyterian/Allen Hospital, officials said.

None of the other injuries were believed to be life-threatening. The death was the FDNY’s first in the line of duty in more than two years.

“When it exploded, 3 blocks away me and my son were in my apartment and the entire building shook,” Instagram user advocateofwordzw wrote.

Onesimo Guerrero, the owner of the residence, knew little about the blast or the current renters.

“It was a very bad accident,” he told the Daily News. “I didn’t know the people living there. It was a starter house.”

Asked about the drug lab, Guerrero replied, “Nobody told me anything about that.”

More than 100 firefighters eventually responded to the blast.

The last FDNY line of duty death came in July 2014, when Lt. Gordon Matthew Ambelas died while fighting a fire in a Brooklyn high rise

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
goodbye bho hello rosin? or will ny make it a concentrates a straight felony?

Tynehead Tom

pretty sad really.
all the asshats out there setting up labs in residential areas. Unfortunately this mirrors what was happening 100 years ago when folks were runnin stills full of corn or potato mash out behind the barn. The main reason we can't own stills and make our own hooch is the same reason there will be laws put in place banning at home weed labs using explosive solvents.

I see my buddies kid doing it all the time, out back by the shop with his pressure cooker , hot plate, vacuum pump and heat gun in his hand the whole time monitoring everything. I get as far away from that mess as possible LOL 20 feet away is 2 4ft tall bottles.... one is oxygen, the other acetylene. Don't wanna be anywhere near that yard if the butane goes off LOL

did we all learn nothing from Breaking Bad? Walter White was a smart guy LOL Mobile lab and cooking his shit in the dessert.

feel bad for the firefighter's family, they don't deserve to lose a husband and father over some dumb stoners exploding drug lab.

wake the fuk up people, shit like this is not cool. If yer gonna run a lab with explosives solvents, do us all a favor and don't do it in residential areas.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
someone made the point it could have been propane for co2

either way it could spur more strict manufacturing laws

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Ice and water never killed anyone...

Try telling that to the family's of the people that went down on the Titanic....

....and yes, I agree that it's totally stupid to make a drugs lab in a residential neighbourhood......go get a Winnebago or something if you need to do that.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
That whole street was destroyed.

No arrests?

It says they were being investigated already due to a tip there was a grow op.

I wonder how sophisticated it could have been.

Either way if it was for co2 or for dabs, not a good look.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if it really was a gas leak that caused the explosion, they will still try to use the "drug lab" as a scapegoat.

corky1968

Veteran
Jessie Pinkton how many times do I have to tell you?

No Cooks while I'm driving.

Sorry Mr. White.

rv_fire.jpg

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
if it really was a gas leak that caused the explosion, they will still try to use the "drug lab" as a scapegoat.

One of the reporters something asked to the effect of, how can we feel safe if we smell gas, there might be a grow room in the neighborhood.

Wtf?

As if the growroom is the dangerous part not the gas.

He also made it seem like if someone smells gas that they should let the police know because there may be a grow nearby.

picture.php

The new one is gonna be, "If you smell something, tell something."

picture.php

Thats 8 million noses.

geneva_sativa

yeah. . . this piece has seemed strange since it appeared as news.

not sure if this is just the case of never letting a disaster go to waste for propaganda or what. . . but the media and officials are going on about the dangers of grows.

tragic about the man that lost his life

Last edited:

sadpanda

I can't help but wonder if marijuana was legal and easily accessible/affordable then this might not've happened ... people forced to do clandestine home crap because they don't have the option to go to a shop and buy something properly and safely made.