What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk IVC Cotton Candy extraction video

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort..................!

Check out this youtube from Medzin/Young Fashion Extract, showing a pot-o-cotton candy from Mk IVC Terpenator SN00013, aka Medizin Maker.

Typically in the high 80's, low 90's in THCa and rife with monoterpenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrjPButrVc

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you get a muffin like that! And how does it turn to powder! What's the solvent blend?

You get a Cotton Candy "muffin" like that, by switching to the high vacuum pump, at exactly the right moment, determined by watching what is going on through the collection pot lid sight glass. Nominally when the liquid butane puddle is gone, but random bubbles still occur.

Typically with the collection pot bath around 70F or below.

Under continued high vacuum, the inflated foam drys into a stiff shatter foam, similar to poly urethane foam.

Placing the pot of dry foam in a 0F freezer before whisking it into dust, makes it even more brittle.

Medizin's solvent blend is proprietary, but we get similar results using from 100% n-Butane to around 50/50%. I predict they are somewhere in that range.

You can also get a styrofoam muffin using 90/5/5 prop/but/isobut with a tr-21 and bath at 66-70F. The muffin needs no further purging after recovery, just chop it into dust and press into a slab. Color is off white to light yellow and good terp retention

KONY

Veteran
This video seems way more like an advertisement than anything else. Didnt think this was your style GW.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This video seems way more like an advertisement than anything else. Didnt think this was your style GW.

Clearly it is an advertisement, but it shows extracting cotton candy, and finishing it, as opposed to the more common pour off.

I have absolutely no financial interest in either of the companies involved. I was trying to take advantage of their youtube snippet, to give commercial cotton candy extraction more exposure.

As the accidental inventor of cotton candy, who's seen the notable reduction on post extraction purging, and knows how much safer it is than pouring, I push it every chance I get.

Consider my point to be that here is a solid in your face example, of premier concentrates being produced with no pour off.

I did indeed design that piece of equipment shown, and even helped with the assembly and installation, before again retiring.

I say again, because I retired in 2005 at age 62 from professional life, and again 09-09-2016 at age 73 from any equipment manufacturing associations stemming from my medical cannabis hobby.

My tax record readily attest that my decade plus with medical cannabis as my hobby, was expensive and without fail a black money hole.

Clearly it is an advertisement, but it shows extracting cotton candy, and finishing it, as opposed to the more common pour off.

I have absolutely no financial interest in either of the companies involved. I was trying to take advantage of their youtube snippet, to give commercial cotton candy extraction more exposure.

As the accidental inventor of cotton candy, who's seen the notable reduction on post extraction purging, and knows how much safer it is than pouring, I push it every chance I get.

Consider my point to be that here is a solid in your face example, of premier concentrates being produced with no pour off.

I did indeed design that piece of equipment shown, and even helped with the assembly and installation, before again retiring.

I say again, because I retired in 2005 at age 62 from professional life, and again 09-09-2016 at age 73 from any equipment manufacturing associations stemming from my medical cannabis hobby.

My tax record readily attest that my decade plus with medical cannabis as my hobby, was expensive and without fail a black money hole.

You need to apologize to nobody ............. everyone else appreciates it.

Gtir

I think the key benefit to this cotton candy(apart from safety) is that when you pull a large muffin at low temps you get more surface area for longer to release solvent And end up w a more stable product

Gtir

How long do you vaccum for before freezing?

You get a Cotton Candy "muffin" like that, by switching to the high vacuum pump, at exactly the right moment, determined by watching what is going on through the collection pot lid sight glass. Nominally when the liquid butane puddle is gone, but random bubbles still occur.

Typically with the collection pot bath around 70F or below.

Under continued high vacuum, the inflated foam drys into a stiff shatter foam, similar to poly urethane foam.

Placing the pot of dry foam in a 0F freezer before whisking it into dust, makes it even more brittle.

Medizin's solvent blend is proprietary, but we get similar results using from 100% n-Butane to around 50/50%. I predict they are somewhere in that range.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the key benefit to this cotton candy(apart from safety) is that when you pull a large muffin at low temps you get more surface area for longer to release solvent And end up w a more stable product

Exactly so! You can't get a thinner film than a bubble wall, so the cotton candy extraction has less residual LPG when it's removed from the collection pot.

I wasn't present for the run shown, but Medzin's first production run of Agent Orange stunk up the whole room when the pot was opened and was below 10% of FDA residual solvent standards after 4 hours in the vacuum oven.

It tested almost 90% THCa and around 7% terpenes.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long do you vaccum for before freezing?

We do it by eyeball, but around 5 to 10 minutes. We back fill with N2 when the bubble walls turn hazy, suggesting they are dry, and there is no slump when the N2 valve is bumped lightly.

jswick93

We do it by eyeball, but around 5 to 10 minutes. We back fill with N2 when the bubble walls turn hazy, suggesting they are dry, and there is no slump when the N2 valve is bumped lightly.

Do you disassemble the lid from the pot before freezing it?

Gtir

How are you backfilling w nitrogen if you are trying to pull a vaccum to get the biggest muffin for maximum surface area?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you disassemble the lid from the pot before freezing it?

I typically do, and just cover the pot with plastic before setting it in the freezer to make it even more brittle.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would assume they leave it in vaccum to ensure it freezes in the least dense form possible so that it's easier to wisk

We vacuum it until it dries stiff and then back fill with nitrogen.

We then open it and place it in the freezer to make it more brittle and easier to whisk into dust.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How are you backfilling w nitrogen if you are trying to pull a vaccum to get the biggest muffin for maximum surface area?

The muffin is already a dried done deal when we back fill with nitrogen.

mobin

I've gotten the "cotton candy" like texture.

High volatility/low bp solvent like the DME i used for this seems to be what's needed.

These puffs happened so fast all I saw were lids rolling around in the chamber.

e16hy1.jpg

2zqet15.jpg

5ebij5.jpg