What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin -

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I just want to say I love the smell of fresh squooze bud..
I suk at the return but IDK! Kinda like huffin glue! then the 'freeze' of ballin it up on the glass ball and put on top palate ... I haven't gotten to dabs yet, although I have the equipment.. my mouth is still on fire:hotbounce.. Fd up.. what can I say..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Getting better at returns..

ROSIN.. finally getting it.. vise and hair straightener..
So far, I've made 2 HMKs with one hair straightener (now I have an extra clamp), Revlon (RI) then bought another RI cause Imanass.. then bought a vise then an OSIR (O) hair iron, advertised to 400+*F... the O stopped working in less than a month. POS.. Then eyeballing the 2nd RI.. put it in the vise and immediately broke the backbone, plastic, titanium plate holders and had ... flopping plates.. shit.. then, in a flash of brilliance (once a month), JB Weld! mixed up a half a tube and troweled it into the plastic plate holder, closed it, put in vice w slight pressure and turned it on for 2 minutes on #10. 2 hours later, it was JB welded closed, had to use screwdriver to pry the plates apart.. overflow of JBW to the other plate.. 1/2 tube was too much.. when I did the other sside, used 1/3 tube.. and put parchment paber between them before pressing in the vise.. The other thing I'm finding useful and productive is to make a little parchment paper 'envelope' with the open side up, then into RI>vise... 2-3 minutes... setting 15. I've settled on 1 squeeze and eat the puck...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
more on (moron) rosin findings.. I've been using the Revlon hair straightener and vise for a while now and returns are getting better but still not a definitive process for really good returns.. I've read that hotter temps produce better percentage wise, oily (like honey) rosin and cooler pressing temps produce less but shatter type rosin.. I haven't found a cooler temp that produces stiffer rosin yet.. but being a 'change' person and with the prompting of some members here am now looking to build a press. Looking at these guys in Boynton Beach FL.. DIYROSINPRESS.com http://www.diyrosinpress.com/checkout/cart/ for the plates... since it is only for me, 2" plates with the HF 6ton press.. $500 +|-..
should do the trick.. thought about the arbor press to save desk top space but would have to hold the one ton of pressure thru the entire pressing time. any first hand good or bad about these guys?/

EDIT: will call and with a couple hour drive go there and see for myself if they have a store front..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
didn't go for plates yet... this week.. hari straightener jus fell apart (plastic) ... but let me ask, has anyone given any thought to how one folds the parchment paper? Only using the hair iron but notice that when pressing the bud, the rosin moves away from the heat in the direction of any air source. Just folding the parchment double and in the HI, rosin was all over the parchment... I started folding the paper kinda like a boat... rosin in presses all seem to move up away from the heat and stays together more... like this.

Attachments

• parchment.jpg
    parchment.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 7
  • parchment 2.jpg
    parchment 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 8
  • parchment 3.jpg
    parchment 3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 10
  • parchment 4.jpg
    parchment 4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 9

MrBungle

So you place the parchment on the hair iron so that it tapers in the direction the rosin/heat flows?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
So you place the parchment on the hair iron so that it tapers in the direction the rosin/heat flows?
the rosin will flow away from the closed bottom of the paper.. I face the closed end down in the iron that is in the vise. Bungle, this is just me experimenting..,. this seems to give my best returns.. lemme know if I'm whacked.... could be I'm high though.... sometimes it isn't easy being me..

MrBungle

Cool I'm all for experiments, I'd only be trying it with small amounts anyways.. so this seems like a logical method to try out.

My experiments haven't included a vise... just a lil extra ass when i press it down...

One of our resident Rosin gurus Lapides modded out a hand vise with the hot plates of a hair straightener.. maybe you can do that or something similar with your broken hair straightener?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Cool I'm all for experiments, I'd only be trying it with small amounts anyways.. so this seems like a logical method to try out.

My experiments haven't included a vise... just a lil extra ass when i press it down...

One of our resident Rosin gurus Lapides modded out a hand vise with the hot plates of a hair straightener.. maybe you can do that or something similar with your broken hair straightener?
i have 2 600lb clamps over there < on the floor V. vise is better going to move on the plates and HF 6 ton bench press... not using the reloading press right now so theres already a place for it. funny, I just had to re JB weld the hair iron today.. again.. cant last much longer anyway...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
heres the HarborFreight press $69 w coupon, with the DIY 2.25" plates and dual e-nail, complete $450. that's first squish after I bled the jack.. I can manage to weigh out a gram bud but that's as small as I can go... so return % is : I can tell you this, its close to double what I was getting with the hair iron and vise. and they threw in a meat thermometer. Measured the temps from the hair iron... 343*F! on 30 setting.. sappy, this squish with the press, was done at 237*F stiff.. cant imagine a 20-30 ton press. Made in Boynton Beach Florida... 6 ton HF press: all parts present and accounted for. Parts could use a little quality control but only needed a 14MM,17MM, 18MM openend wrenches and 18MM socket & wrench..$69. took an hour by myself. Oh yes, all hydraulic fluid drained during shipping with no experience and I'm giving youall with no experience the benefit of the doubt... pay attention to the pics..2.5hours .. YTube for bleeding jack. I had to come up with a thinner base plate to realize enough room between the plates for inputting the parchment/bud... lovin it..

EDIT: I don't know why but the figures you see on the e-nail is after some cool down.
the enail was set at 307*F wich by the meat themo was 237*F.. dono why..

Attachments

• 102216 003.jpg
    102216 003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 102216 002.jpg
    102216 002.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 10

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
bleeding the frikkin hydraulic jack has become a PITA.. I've donem before but this one is not cooperating.. I took the temps up to 320F on the e-nail Temp control box (EB) actual temp-> 270F.
At the higher temp, when collecting the rosin, it seemed as if some of the wax from the parchment adhered to the collected rosin, making it whitish. I'd put up a pic but my camera wont show the difference.. new camera on the way, I'll save a piece and see if I can show you what it actually looks like. I've seen the vid with the dude in the white lab coat and the white contaminates.
Don't know if this was mentioned previously but it takes a good 10 minutes to get the plates to the target temps but after the 10 minute warm up, set at 320F, temps are 261F: at 301F it gets 240F..ish... just reporting what happens. makes no sense to me.
I use the 10 minutes to set up and flatten 3-4 pucks, cut the parchment, foldem and stage them for pressing at one sitting.. then a little vaping, and go... squishes are stiffer at 301F/240F.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Here is where I did the bench vise 4/4/15. It works well the only problem is the hair straightener is to hot...

Attachments

• DSCN1134.jpg
    DSCN1134.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
that vid is what put me on to the vise. I don't know how they do that with the hand press/hair iron. vise was better but I didn't make the lexan pieces.. the vise jaws just ripped the shit outta the HI case.. JB weld is your friend. Have some on hand when the HI breaks (the plastic parts) it will still heat but the irons will flop around. Fill under them with JB weld, one side at a time, and put in vise snugly for couple hours. then do the other side.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I have a commercial.set up. I've pressed well over 3lbs trim (200g kief), qtr lb flower, I've got my tek down solid. Superb returns.

1st pic is a chaos by seed pac flower run

2nd pic is darlins net Dansbud pheno popcorn/teim run

Attachments

• 20161004_000809.jpg
    20161004_000809.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161025_205455.jpg
    20161025_205455.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 7

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I have a commercial.set up. I've pressed well over 3lbs trim (200g kief), qtr lb flower, I've got my tek down solid. Superb returns.

1st pic is a chaos by seed pac flower run

2nd pic is darlins net Dansbud pheno popcorn/teim run
HAHA! I have nothing down!:laughing:.. and have pressed ??? maybe 3/4 OZ... but I like to experiment... so heres what I've come to understand an experience.. this is NOT to say I know what the hell I'm talking about... as you suggested, I did a couple presses at 225F and a couple again at 250F, the 225F squishes gave back little bit less than 250F squishes, the 250s a little darker, 225s a little lighter.. but for me, and here is where I know only one way, the 225F is much stiffer than the 250s.. pic (ha, got the new camera, thanks OGTW, I think orwasit oti$?) anyway... on the left is the result of 2.5 grams of bud as was the one on the right... the 225 rosin wont com off the glass ball. the 250 is stiff but not like honey and can actually pick it up delicately with out sticking. Enlighten me what do I do with the rosin on the glass ball? chip it off w razor? I don't dab.. ingest it.. thanks for input DT..

Attachments

• 102616 003 - Copy.jpg
    102616 003 - Copy.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 7

DemonTrich

Veteran
Warm.up.the glass with a lighter. It will melt/drip off.

Higher temp, more stable, less flavor. Less heat, more flavor, less stable

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Warm.up.the glass with a lighter. It will melt/drip off.

Higher temp, more stable, less flavor. Less heat, more flavor, less stable
not sure about what stable is but as pressing temps rise the product is more like oil than cooler presses, which more like shatter.. yes?

heat the glass.. funny shit! duh! I already chewed it off.. my teeth feel like I ate a candle..

Latest posts

Latest posts