What's new

Peregrin Took Is Back At It - Seed to Finish Grow Journal - CFL, LED, and 600w HPS

Peregrin Took

After a decade long hiatus, I am back playing in the dirt.

Let's get right to the details. I have 11 plants going right now, all from seed. My intention is to eventually run a seven plant set up, with one mother, three in veg, and three in flower. This allows me to conform to my states limits for a medical patient.

The plants were germinated and broke soil on 8/12. Shortly after germination I discovered that I must move, this put a huge delay in getting an indoor setup put together, so the plants were kept going with just a couple led bulbs in clamp reflectors. I am very impressed with how well these LEDs did for me, the technology has certainly come a long way.

Once in the new place, I was able to begin setting up something a bit more proper for veg, which I will complete once these plants are moved to under the hps. As of now they're under 6 23watt CFLs plus the two 1700 lumen LEDs. This gives me 13,000 lumens for now, and I will be adding an additional six sockets and probably switching all of the bulbs to LED.

The plants are a little over month old from seed now, and are beginning to show alternating phyllotaxis and some small preflowers.

Once the plants are sexed, the females will finish veg under 600w hps, and the males fed to the bunnies.

My flowering area, at 3.5'x4'x7'2" tall, has significantly more height than I am used to. I am thinking I may just FIM for more colas but skip the tying down that I have always done in the past.

I hadn't planned to journal this grow, so the early pics are from me taking pictures of other things, namely a gecko, and a lone gnat.

Last edited:

Peregrin Took

Four males met their fate today. Remaining five females confirmed, two more mostly sure are female.

My plant disposal service loves males.

Peregrin Took

Spent today working on the grow room. Got my holes all cut, ducting in, and cool tube up n' running.

I know it's a mess still, but I am friggin tired, just figured I would snap a couple shots of the girls first night under hps.

Peregrin Took

Everyone survived their first 24 hours under the 600w, so I went ahead and turned the ballast up from 75% to 100%.

I FIM'd the ladies tonight. I am going to continue to veg for a little while, until I am satisfied with the evenness of the canopy, and have taken cuttings from all the ladies.

Picture right after FIMing

Peregrin Took

Everyone was transplanted today into their final, seven gallon, pots. Looking forward to seeing the post-transplant growth spurt.

Should be ready to flip the light in a week or two. My state's seven plant limit (regardless of sex or maturity) means long veg times will be a must.

I will be taking cuttings from each in the next few days or so,* and will pick my mother from those as long as I have a clear cut favorite after harvest.

Some root shots, definitely ready for some more space:

And in their new, more spacious accommodations (as you can see I had to re-tie down some)

Peregrin Took

Well the transplant has been a little bit rough on the gals. I have a thread going in the infirmary, but basically I fucked up and accidentally double dosed the lime in the soil mix. This sent the pH through the roof, leading to some ugly lockouts.

I have began watering with pH adjusted water, and should be able to get things back on track asap.

Or I could be wrong. Either way, the pH is way too high, so this needs get brought back down in range before we consider further action.

Photo dump of the ladies...

GastroGrower

Sorry to hear about the pH issues. Lord knows I've made mistakes like that before. If you can clear it up they'll probably bounce back after dropping the yellow leaves on the bottoms.

Peregrin Took

Quick update, pH issue appears to be on the upswing. Still looking at a good ole fashioned nitrogen deficiency so hit em with a weak dose of 12-4-8 chemical stuff.

Just a quick group shot tonight.

Peregrin Took

pH is finally swinging back in range.

I also jimmied together a replacement reflecter for my cool tube. Much nicer spread now.

Getting ready to hit the flower button real soon.

Peregrin Took

Update: Day 14 of 12/12, 89 days from seed.

Plants have been moved to a 48"x48"x80" tent for the remainder of flowering. I did this in attempts to drop the humidity, which seems to have worked, as my Rh is now hovering in the mid-50's, instead of 60-70%.

picture.php

View image in gallery

Latest posts

Latest posts