What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2016 Shipping container hybrid building

HillMizer

Here's the plan:

2- 20 shipping containers (8'x8'x20' ea.)
a 10'-12' space between.
Roof over entire structure, possible loft on one side.
entire building insulated and sided with rough sawn pine boards.
Gravel base on top of ground.

This space will be used for:
Drying of sungrown product
Trimming "
Bagging "
Moisture management "
Storage "

Production of indoor product as well.

There is a 100amp panel and #4 copper service being run to the site now.

One container will house an 8kw grow. I may use aircooled 1 kw hps that I own now, once I get in the swing I may install 315 watt ceramic metal halide in the other container. The CMD bulbs may have the perfect footprint for this project. I will put a 3' row down each side and have about 18-20" walkway in the center.

2.5 ton mini split and air exchange every 2.5 minutes

I'll be using lab tested living soil in beds, watered by microsprinklers. Any ancillary equipment may be installed outside or on top of the container, reservoirs ballasts etc.

Spray foam seems to be the insulation of choice for containers. The foam bonds to the steel to prevent condensation. I have not found a local spray foam contractor yet. google says prices are $.44-.$.65 per board foot applied. On the high side that works out to $832 per container to spray 1" thick. DIY tiger foam is $.64/ board foot. I've seen where folks only spray the ceiling and then add rigid foam to the ceiling and the walls. I have the option to insulate the outside as well.

More to come. Schematics etc. give me your input!

HillMizer

Rad :lurk:

Wish I wasnt zoned residential..shit makes no sense

Are you sure you're not zoned rural residential or res-ag? You could possibly get a variance if you're not in a subdivision. I'm not sure where you are but R zones are rare in these parts.

Anyway it doesn't matter much. Shipping containers are usually not considered buildings, they have their own permit in some communities though. Damned if I'm getting one.

What's really in compliance anyway? Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

Got the panel installed.

Called and ordered a rental Takeuchi TL-140 Rubber Track Loader. Some might say bobcat with tracks. I made sure to get the 80 horse rig for pushing more dirt and brush and moving the containers. I had to fill out a credit app this time. That was just this particular more commercial rental outfit. I have an LLC that's listed with Dun & Bradstreet so that should pan out and have the machine Thursday.

I'll be usings a trenching attachment for putting in pipes, bucket for earth moving and spreading gravel, an auger for installing fence posts, and possibly a brush grapple for moving...well brush.

Trying to chase down alternative options for CMH ballasts, I've read about $35 magnetic ballasts (without enclosures, wire etc)
and Mogul base CMH bulbs that would fit in normal hps/mh fixtures. Things like this would really help offset the cost of using more lights to get the job done.

I think I could use 6-7 315 watt CMH lights per side of the container. Assuming a footprint of 3x3ish a Total of 14 lights would only be 4400 watts. That's huge power savings

HPS container would be 8000 watts or 50 watts/sq ft

CMH container would be 4400 watts or 27.5 watts/ sq ft

I'll have to dig through some more threads, I was reading that 35-40 watts/sq ft CMH equals 50 Watts/sq ft HPS.

HillMizer

Here's an update. Got a subpanel installed on my existing shed, it's for veg and living quarters for worker. Running another underground from that panel to shipping container. I was able to dig a 2' deep ditch for pipe with the toothed bucket on this machine. It's an 80hp rubber tracked loader, a smaller machine wouldn't handle these jobs well.

I dug a terrace out with the rental track loader and pushed the 1st container up and in on log rollers. I got some 2" crushed stone and put it in the area that will be between the containers as a floor.

The second container will be arriving early this week.

It's a lot less hidden than I thought, this always happens. A few more trees get taken out...
I look forward to getting it painted. Intend to side it, but it feels like a winter project. Maybe a shot of brown primer will mellow the look.

I'll post some pics when I get on a PC.

FoothillFarming

I would love pics of the project for sure.....

How much of the work are you doing, and how much is hired out? I have been doing 100% of all my projects, and I am tired. Need to start hiring reliable subs.

Nice work, tagged up.

HillMizer

Well I got an old stoner electrican and his helper doing the electrical. They are working on trade for herb and clones now.

I called in some helpers but they are flaked. I've been working long days, it's hella dusty so I haven't brought out the camera. I'll get some pics.

It's just me running the machine now until it goes back. I'm clearing a fenceline and moving some brush. I'm making some tent sites for trimmers. My girlfriend wants a spot for a 60' round pen, but with how steep our land is we'll need a good erosion control plan and at least a water truck this time of year to get the dirt to stay put.

zizration

8 lites in one 20 ft can is overkill. maximum 5, if you want to be able to move around at all. i would suggest hanging the lights horiz not vertical . build a 54" wide table against one of the walls running the length of the can. one lite every four feet = 5 lites.

if you cover the table w metal roofing and build on a slope you have a ready to go fairly cheap drain table.

HillMizer

8 lites in one 20 ft can is overkill. maximum 5, if you want to be able to move around at all. i would suggest hanging the lights horiz not vertical . build a 54" wide table against one of the walls running the length of the can. one lite every four feet = 5 lites.

if you cover the table w metal roofing and build on a slope you have a ready to go fairly cheap drain table.

Thanks. I appreciate the input.
I know that 8 is on the high side but I don't want to waste a 3'x20' walkway either. I was thinking 18" right down the middle. @ 1oz/square foot the 18" walkway makes 30oz more per cycle than a 3' walkway. That's the width I use for greenhouses (if I even put walkways in).

8 1kw lights makes 50watt/square foot. That's on the money right? It's 61watt a square foot if we account for the walkwa, even better. From what I see is other people run from 50 to as much as 100 watt/square foot.

I am running horizontal aircooled fixtures, minisplit AC, sea of green with trellis support. No veg, just plant and flip. It's all lab tested soil and auto irrigated, the sprayer lives outside and I just drag the hose in.

Try a shot of green background and brown vertical lines to make it disappear like trees and such. I would run a single aisle down the center, as you are not going to be in there that much except to tend to gardening. The veg you always need more room. I say pack em in and low crawl under tables and pop up where you have to. peace

zizration

im not saying it can't be done. just that it will be very tight in there.perhaps make the table 60" wide. i believe the containers are only 7'6" inside dimensions? if you need to do maitenance/spraying etc etc. for me to max my work i need easy flow. if its hard to get at things sometimes i get lazy and can put it off. IMO you are better off getting another container and having some dance room.

either way,i look forward to any pictures. good luck!

HillMizer

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

OK I'm here, swear I'll get the sideways pictures under control. I tried resizing them, one still got sideways.

Second container shows up tomorrow. Today 2 loads of 2" Rock came to add to my road and some trimmer van parking sites.

I worked with the electricians today to get the pipe laid to the container and weld some brackets for panel on the container. I backfilled most of it so the container can travel in. I watered the road and used my pickup with firewood in back as a roller.

I'm waiting on some of the help I want to use as labor. I'm hoping someone with building skills materializes or I'll be bust. Considering a lot of steel framing for this job. Trying to get my head around framing the roof with steel.

I lost a big ass lift chain somewhere in the dirt. I'm working on getting a metal detector to find it, then painting it red.

Actual building starts this weekend.

I'm very excited to have permanent power around the property! I had direct burial romex and 10 gauge extension cords on the ground and in trees to run fluorescents, tools, irrigation controller etc,

FoothillFarming

I had direct burial romex and 10 gauge extension cords on the ground and in trees to run fluorescents, tools, irrigation controller etc,

I have run most of my electrical properly, but a do have a couple extention cords laid out on dried oak leaves. Fire waiting to happen. I Electrical tape all the ends to prevent sparking, and I blow the leaves away from the joints. But I ALWAYS worry about it.

Staying tuned.

Latest posts

Latest posts