What's new

Draining Bubble Bags

Keefhead

I have a bit of a problem - and maybe one of you can help me.

I am an MMJ user for severe arthritis. I am plenty strong enough, but my hands don't grasp well, and I have trouble lifting and draining my bubble bags. I can't hold on to them easily. So I tried this:

I drilled a bucket so the water would drain out, but it doesn't work for me.

Although the screens in the bags are very clean, the trichs block the flow of water, sometimes the 45 and almost always the 25. I'd guess most folks have seen this. Am I doing, or not doing, something?

So my question is this - has anyone figured out a better way to drain the 45 and 25 bags? Perhaps with a valve or drain of some sort?

Thanks.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey Keefhead

for your situation a tap at the bottom of the bucket seems ideal.

as far as draining the two stubborn 45 and 25 bags go. there is a trick, but it still involves lifting, i lift the bag up and then push it down and lift again. basically you make the water lift the hash on the screen so it can drain until the hash comes back and collects on the screen.

again if you have a tap and let it drain slowly until there is no more then a few cms of water above the bag. then one can lift the bag and give it a jerk up and down and the rest of the water will drain off.

i imagine one could even use a small bucket to empty the water from n top until its light enough to lift easy. one would have to do it gently without disturbing the layer of hash on the screen. but that's all i can think of, to make things easier.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
The bags that are made now with the screen going up the side rather than just the bottom are much easier to drain. In your case the only thing i can think of is what gaiusmarius stated.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the new bags will help a bit with the draining. but not as much as one thinks. a part of the problem with specially the 25 is the size of the holes in the screen. that really slows the water down. but still it will help, maybe those bags will even drain themselves without agitation with a bit of time and a tap at the bottom. imagine lifting the bags with only the hash weighing it down at the end.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Yeah i consider the smaller micron bags more like a porous membrane, add some triches on top and it's even worse. One thing i forgot to ask was whether Keefhead ever tried using one bag at a time rather than stacking them all in one bucket. That's the only way i do it now and pouring the water through the bag helps it to pass a little better. Only draw back is more lifting. I've got a similar medical condition as Keefhead and what i plan on doing is putting some rope through the eyelets of these bags and making a loop. I can't grip anything either much less pick it up with my hands and wrists so i'll put the loops over my fore arms and it should be relatively easy to lift up.

Here is a pic of one of the eyelets

Last edited:

bubbleman

Veteran
A single tap in the bottom of the bucket, works fine. i have done it with twenty gallons on a few occasions. As for the 45u and 25u bags. if you are dealing with five gallon bags, you should be able to lift it out gently and give it a slight jerk upwards, this lifts the resin off the bottom of the screen and alllows for water to flow thru very quickly. I did a video on pottv that i show this method,, it shows how you can easily drain a 45u and a 25u, in under 10 seconds each>

peace
bubble man

ilife

Swagg Baggs Pulley System

Swagg Baggs Pulley System

This is Swaggs Baggs with there Eyelets and Pulley system. works perfect with a electric winch. Still need to agitate to get it to flow smooth.

Keefhead

Bubbleman - that technique is difficult for those of us with severe arthritis. Sometimes we can't grip the bags. I have done the "snatch and jerk" many times, and it works well, but sometimes, like today, I can't hardly type. And.... I need to do a run - I'm running low. :frown: I also have a 1 gal set, and that is often a godsend - like today.

Chief - Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I need. Yes, sometimes I nest the bags, and sometimes I use seperate buckets. For me it depends on how much I expect.

ilife - great pictures, thanks. I see a set of new bags in my future....

And ..... my dear wife has said I can put a hook and pulley over the kitchen sink to attach the rope to. It don't get no better than that. :jump:

Last edited:

Guest423

Veteran
if you take the back side of a spoon and rub or tap the seam of the the bags it will drain faster, you can hang them from a hook on the wall or short ceiling. but they are heavy to move when full so i can see your dilema especially with arthritis, i was just thinking about upgrading to the 20 gal bags, i bet the last couple of them are way heavy to lift.

p.s. hey bubbleman, can you give us a link to that video? i had it saved but lost it before i could watch it...that would be awesome.

Last edited:

Keefhead

Check out www.pottv.com. I looked around there, but couldn't find the video. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Edit - Oops, do a search on there for Bubbleman. I don't know if it's the one your looking for...

Last edited:

bubbleman

Veteran
Yeah sure Time2Unite, the link is here

http://www.pottv.net/archive/shows/pottvshowse-3815.html

I hear ya keefhead, i suppose your best bet would be to spoon out some of the resin or, let them hang on a hook> YOu could also scoop a lot of the water out the top. YOu may lose a small amount of resin, but would make it much more lightweight for pulling it out of the bucket.

peace
bubble man

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Keefhead, sounds like your other half is a great lady. not many women will let you instal permanent bubble making machinery in the kitchen lol.

i'm just thinking, couldn't you ask your wife to sew some straps with loops to the top of the bags. then you can hang them from you wrist, or from a hook, instead of gripping them?

but you know i think a bubble machine together with a 1 gallon set should do the trick, stand the bags up in the sink and turn the machine to pumping, hold the hose in the bags moving it around a bit until your screen is starting to block, then turn the pump off, collect the hash and continue, never let too much water accumulate in the bags.

yeah sowing on some straps with a loop would allow you to hang the whole lot over the sink. you could then gently push the hash up from the outside bottom of the bag, letting the water drain. i think just by moving your finger around on the outside of the last (25) bag, will help to let the water drain also.

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Damn that streaming video sucks and i have a fast connection. Very informative Bman. I missed the part between all the pixelation about what you used to stretch the bags over to scrape them. Was it a bucket with the bottom cutout?

Keefhead

Well, I just watched Bubbleman's pottv show (1 hour), and the best thing for me was that it confirmed some of the things I was doing, and the results I was getting - runny 25, that sort of thing. Fair show, but they definately need a better camera, and like Chief said, the pixelation was annoying. Oh, bubbleman, you sure looked different than I imagined. LOL. I don't know what I expected, but you ain't it. Older maybe. Something.....

Gaius - my wife is an internationally known lace maker with contacts all around the world. She's good. But she can't hardly use a sewing machine, I take my pants to the seamstress to get them altered. However, she can sew on a button great. Go figure. I suspect that I'll end up buying another set of bags with eyelets.

And yeah Gaius, the hook isn't all. The kitchen is usually cluttered with my bubbleator, an ice making machine, a big sno-cone machine for making bubble snow, and too much more.

Those bags that Chief had interest me. Sorry Bubbleman, but for my needs the eyelets are important. You might consider them......

I think I'll start by putting a drain in the bucket as suggested earlier. I'm not sure how that would be better than my "holy" bucket sitting in the sink, but I'll try anything.

Thanks to ALL for the help and suggestions. That's what I love about this community, the caring and willingness to help. You guys are the best.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
it might help you to have 2 wooden slats to put under your bucket, it might help with draining more freely. do you have space between the bottom of the bucket and the first bag? as well as between each bag when you stack them? some how i don't see why your bags shouldn't drain by them selves mostly anyway. i mean isn't there normally space around your pile of bubble where the water can still pass? so even if it's a bit slow, it should drain by gravity really. but if the bottom screen is touching the bottom of that bucket, then those holes will quickly get blocked with bubble. but if there is space between the lowest net and the bottom of the bucket then the whole screen can drain where ever there is no pile of bubble. does that make any sense, lol?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
LOL, funny how people never look like you imagine. I'm probably older than Bman and we both could probably eat a whole cake each and not gain a pound.
Yeah the eyelets on those schwagg bags are real heavy duty with that reinforcing top strip. These don't have that so it will be interesting to see how they hold.
Bman i thought you had lived in the great white north long enough to pick up the accent, you sounded more American which i know you are from here.

Keefhead

Gaius - Yeah, it makes sense just fine. LOL. I don't usually have trouble with the other bags because I lift them slowly in short jerk motions. (Yeah, it hurts.) Normally it's just the 25 (and sometimes the 45). I've stopped using the 25 sometimes, and everything goes just great. I lift the others out fine, though I have to grip them "just so". It would be a help to have eyelets in these too. But the water drains out quickly. I have had the 73 stay full, once, but the yield, oh, the yield, awesome. :yoinks: **Sigh**

However, guess what arrived in the mail today.... My okief BHO tube. YES, it's awesome. I got the butane, I got the material, I got the bowl, I got a camera, I got an empty backyard where it's safe. Guess it's time to make some BHO. :yummy: I want to add that the tube was a gift, and I am very grateful to the friend who gave it to me. Maybe he'll read this...

Chief - Yeah, Bubbleman didn't look like I expected. But I doubt I would either. Hey, I'm old enough to be some of your grandfather (I'm 60+). Grey hair, beard, and only 2 years ago I had hair down past my belt. Friggin' biker hippie wierdo.

Time2Unite - I had a problem too on my laptop - it kept wanting to download a small .ram file. I switched to the other computer, and it was fine. I don't know what it was, but you might check your settings, and then click on alternative ways to access the movie. Go to another page which also references it there, and click on that instead. Can you tell I'm grasping at straws. LOL

Time for a bowl..................................cough...................

ilife

Electric Winch

Electric Winch

Here is the electric winch and Swagg bag setup. These bags will rip at the seam between the bag and the screen after many uses. This also will happen with bubble bags after many uses. but more in the case with the Swagg bags.