What's new

Need help identifying and treating pests. Please help!

Hello! Im really freaked out right now because I discovered a massive amount of little bugs just yesterday on my plants. Im in day 35 of flowering and Im not sure what I can use, or even what they are. I made a post on Rollitup because I have trouble instertong photos on this forum. I included lots of of close-up photos. If you guys could please, I would really appreciate it. Im going to continue researching on my own in the meantime. Thank you all!

http://www.rollitup.org/t/posted-in-the-bugs-section-but-didnt-get-many-responses.915919/

Really??? Nothing?? I could really use some help figuring out what these damn things are. They are completely onfesting my grow room!

There are hundreds and hundreds lf these things everywhere! Ive squished as many as I could, and Im picking up some sticky cards tomorrow. But can someone help me identify these and help me figure out a solution? Please?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Not sure. Those are large bugs. I had massive problem with microscopic bugs. For them I used something very expensive called Guardian.

Is it outdoors?? If outdoors and in US, north, south, east, west???

Soil or coir? Do they live and breed in the medium?

For some reason I can not post links. In the infirmary, the sixth post in the last sticky at top of screen covers bugs.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

It is indoors, soil. I don't see anything in the medium, that was the first place I checked to see if they were breeding in the soil. Its in the Western US desert. Ive checked all over the place for various oests and closest thing I found are fungus gnats... But these definitely arent those. Its verybdry here, so the humidity is a pretty consistant 35-40%. I don't over water. I wait until the pots are light and top of soil is dry.
Ill hang the traps and see if that helps.

Loc Dog

Veteran
It is indoors, soil. I don't see anything in the medium, that was the first place I checked to see if they were breeding in the soil. Its in the Western US desert. Ive checked all over the place for various oests and closest thing I found are fungus gnats... But these definitely arent those. Its verybdry here, so the humidity is a pretty consistant 35-40%. I don't over water. I wait until the pots are light and top of soil is dry.
Ill hang the traps and see if that helps.

Those are not fungus gnats. I am in north east, so probably do not have them here. Fungus gnats are tiny.

I think only fungus gnats are attracted to yellow sticky traps.

Just some more pics so you can see just how obnoxious this is. The strange thing is that they all came overnight. One day nothing, the next day this. I always have a fan on them, everybtime I water I mix the top of the soil to even it out and make it look nice. I gonin there every songle day and check over all my girls, and rotate them around the room. I mean, I just have no clue where these came from. I only have a out 3-4 weeks to go too!!!! If theyvget ruined now, Im going to be devistated!

Those are not fungus gnats. I am in north east, so probably do not have them here. Fungus gnats are tiny.

I think only fungus gnats are attracted to yellow sticky traps.

So if the yellowe sticky cards wont work, what will? Im gonna get some of those sticky fly traps that hang. Maybe Ill even try hanging a bug zapper or something too. They look like little moths. Theres a bunch buzzing around the light as well. I just dont want them to startvreproducing and then I end up with caterpillars or something thatveat all my plants up.

N

noyd666

looking on some bug sites but not seeing your bug, big BUG IT IS. yes bug zappers are good , I run a few, don't forget to put on timer if need.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Do they seem to be damaging the plants??? Some bugs are just a nuisance. I was freaking out over thousands of little bubs in my runoff, which wound up being harmless (springtails).

Do they seem to be damaging the plants??? Some bugs are just a nuisance. I was freaking out over thousands of little bubs in my runoff, which wound up being harmless (springtails).

So far, no, they don't seem to be doing any damage at all, or causing any problems with the plants. But they have only been there for a day, so who knows what a few more days or a week of this will bring. And they seem to like to hang out on the buds and sugar leafs, so I dont want them getting all stuck in there and I end up with buds full of bugs inside them.

Ive already had to pick out several with tweezers that were stuck upside down to the sugar leafs or buds that are stacked with crystals. They seem to be getting caught in there. Im gonna go throigh tomorrow and clear out every inch of every plant of these damn things amd see if I can put a dent in their population a bit.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I would collect some leaves with them on it, put into mason jar. I bought captain jacks dead bug brew from lowes. Try it on some of the bugs you collected, and see if they live. Probably also want to use a USB microscope, to search for eggs of larvae.

If that does not work I would try Guardian. I actually have all the ingredients to make an improved version of Guardian, but have not had anything but fungus gnats in over a year, so never bothered. I tiny bottle of Guardian is about $25.00 and makes 1 or 2 gallons.

Just read that Guardian added a secret ingredient, Avid, which has been outlawed.

I would collect some leaves with them on it, put into mason jar. I bought captain jacks dead bug brew from lowes. Try it on some of the bugs you collected, and see if they live. Probably also want to use a USB microscope, to search for eggs of larvae.

If that does not work I would try Guardian. I actually have all the ingredients to make an improved version of Guardian, but have not had anything but fungus gnats in over a year, so never bothered. I tiny bottle of Guardian is about $25.00 and makes 1 or 2 gallons.

Thats not a bad idea, I will try that and see if maybe it takes care of them. This is just so frustrating. This whole grow has gone perfecrly, not 3-4 weeks from harvest and BOOM! Infestation... Ugh!

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
The best I can come up with is that they are some kind of "window fly". I'm holding a book, "Insects of the Los Angeles Basin" which shows a photo that resembles your critters... Hermetia illucens. Says that they are attracted to lights, and the larvae feed on decaying fruit and vegetables. Larvae found in mulch piles and garden soil. Sounds like they're harmless, if that's what you have.

It would help with identification if you could snag one and scope it with a magnifier. Are the antennae short and club shaped, or thin and short, or long and smooth, or feathered, or segmented? Are the mouth parts in the form of jaws like a wasp, or a long tube folded under the head like a true bug, or some short weird shape like a fly?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...QkcYMEgLuE#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=hermetia+illucens

Since this link is to a google site, if you want to see the photos you might be better off copying Hermetia illucens and then paste that into a google images search to get there. If you click on the link and go straight to google they'll have a record of you being on this canna site. Maybe it doesn't matter to some but I don't want google having that record on me. That's how they make their money, selling your usage data. Your next potential employer might be able to purchase access to such info. I always head to Duck Duck Go as the first web site after viewing IC Mag.