What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blackwater first indoor grow

Fiddynut

Hi all. I am new to icmag forums. I am about 2/3 through my first serious indoor grow and have already learned a lot from browsing this forum as a guest. I want to learn from my mistakes and learn to grow the best buds possible. I have learned about how to water properly, pH my h2o, how to design and set up a grow tent and many other things. Lots of good info here.

A little bit about my grow environment. 3.5' x 3.5' x 7' grow tent. 600w HPS light with air cooled hood. 4" canfan with carbon filter for ventilation. 6" canfan to cool the light. Small fan for air circulation. This is located in basement and temps are good at about 75 with light out and about 80 when light is on. Humidity has been right about 50%.

I have 3 plants that are from seed that I got from a friend who lives in the sf Bay Area. The seeds are Blackwater from Cali connection.

My biggest issue is with fertilization. As I search the forums I seem to be finding that everyone seems to do it differently and there are so many products out there that I am having a hard time getting a base line going. I am going to try to use earth juice grow for veg and budswel for flower allong with ff happy frog soil. I am using spring water from a natural spring near to me. I know someone who has used this water with success.

My girls are 27 days into flower and I am noticing that the older fan leaves are getting pale and starting to yellow. I have read that they will do that late in flower but I'm thinking that it's a bit early for mine to be doing that. Totally looks like nitrogen def to me. I have not given a lot of feeding up tell now so N deficiency seems likely. To be honest I have been scared to give much nutes since I have been reading that is the easiest way to kill them.

Is end of week 4 to early for leaves to turn pale/yellowing?
Is there anything I can or should do at this point?

New growth buds and leaves look good. Starting to get frosty at bud sights.

Should I just give budswel and get this grow over then feed more and consistantly on my next grow?

I will try to put up some pics. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Fiddynut

Joint Lock

Maxiboom 5-7grms per gallon in hydro. 3-5grms per gallon in soil or soilless mixes .

U use this from start to finish google Lucas method: U can get 1000 grams for 12-15$ if using soil or soilless use it as water , water , feed so u only feed on 3rd watering . if u see tip burn back off. u could make a kelp solution and add it to the water for a quick N and K boost mix at 0.5 oz a gallon

Fiddynut

Thanks Joint Lock.
Researching Lucas method. Sounds like a simple way to start consistantly giving nutes.

Fiddynut

A bit underfed

A bit underfed

Hard to see the color under this light. I hope these look ok for a first timer. Was not expecting the tall one to go from 13" to 29" in the first ten days that I switched light to 12/12.
picture.php

Fiddynut

Not sure how to post pictures

Not sure how to post pictures

Maybe someone can help a me post a pic of my plants. I made a photo album at icmag but when I copy the URL and paste it when trying to upload it doesn't seem to work it just shows link and photo doesn't show up. I'm not too good with the tech devises. Am I not doing it right?

Fiddynut

Took some pics this evening!

Took some pics this evening!

So I took a few pics tonight and I think things are going pretty well so far. Other than under feeding through out veg and first couple weeks of flower they have been pretty happy. Since this is my first go at this I really don't know what I should be expecting. I didn't do any training to them and I only topped the tall one late to let the other 2 catch up. That one has been the most agressave grower and is the one that has had the yellowing leaves.

Anyone want to give me some constructive criticism and some ideas for my next run?

I have just set up a veg tent so I will be getting my next baby's going in a week or so. I have Girl Scout cookies and Larry OG as well as more Blackwater seeds.

I'm pretty happy with how this grow has gone so far but feel free to let me know what I could be doing to keep my girls happy.

Thanks...Fiddynut

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
"Is end of week 4 to early for leaves to turn pale/yellowing?

yes, one of your plants is a heavier feeder than the other and needs a good dose of gen nutrients

maybe cut back on whatever "bloom" nutrients you are using and give her a 50/50 mix of "grow"&"bloom" for a couple of waterings

sorry if im overlooking something but what did you feel them before?

Fiddynut

"Is end of week 4 to early for leaves to turn pale/yellowing?

yes, one of your plants is a heavier feeder than the other and needs a good dose of gen nutrients

maybe cut back on whatever "bloom" nutrients you are using and give her a 50/50 mix of "grow"&"bloom" for a couple of waterings

sorry if im overlooking something but what did you feel them before?
Understanding how to use nutes has been the most difficult part of this for me pop_rocks. There are so many products and it seems like everyone does things differently. It was easy to research how to set up tent, lights, ventilation, temps, humidity, ect. Looking back at my daily grow log I see that I never used more than 1/2 strength of the fox farms grow big during veg and only used it a couple times. I think they needed more to get through the stretch. I have been afrade to over nute and therefore have starved them.

I did give 1/2 strength of ff grow big last night with 2Tbs budswel.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Understanding how to use nutes has been the most difficult partof this for me pop_rocks. There are so many products and it seems like everyone does things differently. It was easy to research how to set up tent, lights, ventilation, temps, humidity, ect. Looking back at my daily grow log I see that I never used more than 1/2 strength of the fox farms grow big during veg and only used it a couple times. I think they needed more to get through the stretch. I have been afrade to over nute and therefore have starved them.

I did give 1/2 strength of ff grow big last night with 2Tbs budswel.

no doubt brother
there are more nutrients and optimisers out there than you can keep track of

i like that you are using them at half strength and keeping a grow log
/make a note, strain "B" likes more fertilizer

again, sorry if im missing something obv but what is your base growing medium

lets start there

Fiddynut

no doubt brother
there are more nutrients and optimisers out there than you can keep track of

i like that you are using them at half strength and keeping a grow log
/make a note, strain "B" likes more fertilizer

again, sorry if im missing something obv but what is your base growing medium

lets start there
Growing in fox farms happy frog soil pop_rocks. I have the 3 basic fox farms nute combo grow big, tiger bloom and big bloom but have been under using them. I also have earth juice grow which is an organic veg fert and budswel for flower. I have read that using these organic products is an easy way to feed without having to worry about burning your plants.

My goal for now is to learn how to grow quality buds. I am not worrying about getting a great yield right now just high grade to puff and maybe make some wax. I have heard that bud quality is mostly genetic so I started with good seed from a friend who has ca med card and can get them from Cali connection. These 3 all from same pack of seeds that are feminized Blackwater.

Checked in on the girls this morning and things are looking good. Plenty more crystals and buds getting bigger and fatter by the day. Still not sure what to expect but if I can keep going for a few more weeks without doing something stupid I should have this first one under my belt.

Thanks for taking interest in my grow pop_rocks.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
im just trying to share my experience and help out,brother
happy frog is quality dirt and should sustain a plant
ima big fan of fox farm and i have used their products in the past

so the lower leaves are greening up and the new growth looks good?

"My goal for now is to learn how to grow quality buds. I am not worrying about getting a great yield right now..."

im glad to see you have realistic goal in mind
you are on teh right course
keep your feedings light and jsut watch and learn for now,im sure you will acomplish your goal of some good puff

ive been growing for quite a while and i feel like im still learning

Fiddynut

im just trying to share my experience and help out,brother
happy frog is quality dirt and should sustain a plant
ima big fan of fox farm and i have used their products in the past

so the lower leaves are greening up and the new growth looks good?

"My goal for now is to learn how to grow quality buds. I am not worrying about getting a great yield right now..."

im glad to see you have realistic goal in mind
you are on teh right course
keep your feedings light and jsut watch and learn for now,im sure you will acomplish your goal of some good puff

ive been growing for quite a while and i feel like im still learning
Glad there are people like you to share and help out pop_rocks. Nice to know that I should be able to have success with the soil and nutes. I can't really say that the lower leaves are greening up but they are not getting worse and it doesn't seem to be spreading to other leaves. New growth looking great with new and fatter buds every day.
I am thinking about flushing them next time they need water. Having not used a lot of nutes it's unlikely that there is much salt build up but maybe there is something in soil causing lock out or something.

Fiddynut

Day 32 of flower

Day 32 of flower

Pulled the lady's out to have a look today and things seem to be going well. They were thirsty and I also wanted to give some more nutes. Been giving them 1/2 gal h2o per watering and added 8 ml grow big + 1 tablespoon molasses to the 1.5 gallon and ph'd to 6.6. Gave 1/2 gal each and had about 1/2 cup runoff. They must be using more water because I use to get at least a full cup runoff.
Here is a couple pics I took of them.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
I am thinking about flushing them next time they need water. Having not used a lot of nutes it's unlikely that there is much salt build up but maybe there is something in soil causing lock out or something.

i would hold off on this
i checked out your new pics, lookin' good man!
but im not seeing anything that would suggest that you need a flush
you would typically only flush mid cycle because of overfeeding
your plants look fine

lock out is possible and you could always optimize your grow by checking the ph of your soil and water
but for real, as long as the plant are happy lets keep things as simple as we can

Fiddynut

i would hold off on this
i checked out your new pics, lookin' good man!
but im not seeing anything that would suggest that you need a flush
you would typically only flush mid cycle because of overfeeding
your plants look fine

lock out is possible and you could always optimize your grow by checking the ph of your soil and water
but for real, as long as the plant are happy lets keep things as simple as we can
Thanks pop_rocks. I really don't think there is a soil issue either. I checked ph in and out a couple waterings ago and had 6.5 going in and 6.5 was the runoff. I think I will keep giving some veg nutes every watering. I know you are suppose to feed every other but they seem to be begging for some N. I have been using about a teaspoon of grow big per gallon which is pretty light. I have been watering every 3 days. Some feeding charts have you using 2-3 teaspoons grow big + some big bloom + tiger bloom per gal but these girls are not use to much so I think I'll keep feeding slight. Maybe one teaspoon each of grow big and tiger bloom per gal every other and just a teaspoon grow big on the other watering. Since this strain is suppose to flower in 55/60 days I think only a couple more weeks of nutes anyway and then a flush and just h2o for last couple weeks.

I got a 10X loupe today as well so I will be able to check trichomes a little more closely. I can hardly wait for the light to come on so I can take a close look at those crystals.
I will take more pics when they come out for watering tomorrow evening.

Latest posts

Latest posts