What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chronos bag-seed coco grow

chronosync

Well-stoned member
What's up y'all starting this thread mid process but this is where I'm at so far.....starting from the beginning.

Six seeds given to me from a friend, supposedly a gg4 or CP made seeds and I decided to pop them.

Put seeds in a glass of water overnight.
Seeds sank when poked.
Placed seeds in a Tupperware with damp paper towels.
1-2 days later tap roots are showing.
Put germed seeds in coco prepped with 250ppm (0.5ec) @ pH 6.0 grow+bloom cocotek.
Fed gently bottom feed mostly with spring water and low ec at first and transitioned to my regular feed including well water @ 0.6ec. Current feed is 0.8ec + 0.6ec well water = 1.4ec (700ppm Hanna)

Now, at 45 days from hatch.
Plants have been topped and cuts placed in coco cups to root. All cuts numbered to corresponding mother plant.

***Put germed seeds in these, its all i had, but dont do it this way it sucks, there are better ways.

***Then put in 9oz clear cups, again don't do it this way, it grows algae so I had to make sleeves for the cups, again, its all I had on hand

***Doing nicely on full dose grow

***Now in 18oz party cups

***Cuts in coco, dont even know what hit em

Last edited:

Bwanabud

They look great, amazing you just throw your cuts straight into the coco...I'll be checking in to watch the action :)

best wishes,

Bwana :tiphat:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Sup bwana good to see ya! Thanks for checking it out.

Rooting in coco can work good, I wanted to top them around here anyways so why not try for cuts? Couple weeks and those plants will be pretty branchy I'm hoping, either way I want them topped and I gotta take cuts. Get two birds stoned.

Bwanabud

Do you still use a cloning gel/agent ?...how damp do you keep the coco ? Looks like a great option that would save me tons of time :)

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Subbed. Hate to say it but keep your eyes peeled for nanners when things start getting interesting :yes:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Do you still use a cloning gel/agent ?...how damp do you keep the coco ? Looks like a great option that would save me tons of time :)

Yup I use gel or this time powder actually, that's a first, and I prep my cuts pretty much standard; I like to bury nodes, sometimes I scrape the stem. It seems like you could easily skip the hormone because it seems that time is what wins here. This method......you're gonna wait. I wet my coco to saturation and then squeeze the excess out in a fist while I load my stuff. Field capacity? Probably about what you'd want a cube to do. I use clear cups so after about a week if they start looking dry I let them wick some water. Heavy cups won't root.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Subbed. Hate to say it but keep your eyes peeled for nanners when things start getting interesting :yes:

Hey man how's it going? It s great to see you here! Should be interesting :)

Ya I know..... I'm fully prepared for some funny business lol
These are some of the first seeds I've ever sprouted so this is kind of a practice grow and show, why not? Right? Let's see what happens.

I was told that a whole grow hermed and supposedly they were growing cuts, so.......that would be a best case scenario and blame it on nurture, not nature ;)

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Branching.... some aberration...

Branching.... some aberration...

Plants are finally showing some growth after being chopped nearly in half. I cut my feed to 600ppm (1.2ec - 0.6ec well water + 0.6ec CocoTek grow) to give them a break, I feel this was wise except I can't tell if they are having Ca issues or it the CEC of my coco out of whack. pH is also questionable at this point. I can't figure out how to read GH reagent, the fish tank test is all I know.....and that ran out. I've got a few rolls of litmus on the way and I'll be ordering a new fish kit. Lol. (You'd think general hydroponics would offer a better pH reagent)

I know what you'll say; get a pen! I will, its coming with gavitas

***cuts plugging away, not dying, that's good

*hmmmm something is awry

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Branching.... some aberration...cont.

Branching.... some aberration...cont.

Here is some similar that showed up after first transplant from coco *plugs into 9oz cups, I write it off to cation exchange because I don't believe this coco I've been using is buffered. I'm pretty sure its just washed. Even though I "charge" the coco ahead of time I think it needs like a week in buffer solution? Or however they do it.

***earlier problem now showing on other plants, newer leaves

***a few are doing this kind of thing, like a menorah :)

Last edited:

yazdan

Hi chrono,

Cool thread by far :)

Got a newbie question: How often did you water them when they were seed(lings) and how wet your coco were back then?

Bwanabud

Chrono,
From afar the first group of pics looks like high PH to me, the first pic in the second group looks like the roots aren't established yet and it's over watered.

You said that you lowered your feed to 600 ppm, what were you feeding them before that ?

Thanks for the info on coco cloning, I'll give it a run this weekend.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tend to agree with Bwana.

Any way to cut the EC on well water down?

Try not to overthink (what a fuckin' hypocrite I am). Keep it regular.

My boss has an interesting method for spotting hermies early.

Regular parallel nodes with no variation - male.

Parallel nodes transitioning to alternating - female.

Parallel mixed up with alternating and/or tight slightly offset - Dick Tracy.

I've yet to see it myself but others give it credit.

Bagseed FTW!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Hi chrono,

Cool thread by far :)

Got a newbie question: How often did you water them when they were seed(lings) and how wet your coco were back then?
Hiya how's it growin?
Coco was wet with nutrient solution and rung out to field capacity. About when you squeeze it in your fist a small amount drips out. Wet, but not soppy. Seedlings were fed very gently, mostly by wicking and very carefully top fed in spots until roots filled in. Feed was raised to 300ppm after the second set of true leaves. No plain water, pH always 6.0

Chrono,
From afar the first group of pics looks like high PH to me, the first pic in the second group looks like the roots aren't established yet and it's over watered.

You said that you lowered your feed to 600 ppm, what were you feeding them before that ?

Thanks for the info on coco cloning, I'll give it a run this weekend.
:tiphat:
I was feeding around 700ppm (300ppm well water + 400ppm Cocotek grow. So call that what you will....1.4ec, or 0.8ec(nutes) I never did set up that rain barell, but I found a water co. That will deliver RO for cheap (cheap enough for me, for now)

Give coco cloning a try, it has its merits. I've been trying different things as I go, but putting them in cups in my veg tent like they're supposed to know what to do (!) works for me. I'm actually going to order/get some rockwool cubes and try that next.
:tiphat:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Oh ya bwana,

I know the pH is off, so that's not good but I'm aware and in process of remedy. Doesn't matter how good your environment and nutes plus lights, if yr pH is wrong.

Over watered is always something to watch, I'm paranoid about over watering this is what my cups were doing the DAY AFTER going 9oz to 18oz

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Tend to agree with Bwana.

Any way to cut the EC on well water down?

Try not to overthink (what a fuckin' hypocrite I am). Keep it regular.

My boss has an interesting method for spotting hermies early.

Regular parallel nodes with no variation - male.

Parallel nodes transitioning to alternating - female.

Parallel mixed up with alternating and/or tight slightly offset - Dick Tracy.

I've yet to see it myself but others give it credit.

Bagseed FTW!

Hey Mikell glad you stopped by!

I'm definitely making plans to fix my water and pH, its kinda pointless doing hydro unless.....I'm slowly falling onto proper ranks. As you can see I use what I got :)

Node spacing to determine intersex....very interesting indeed. I'll let you know if I notice any of those things. But they are all going to show true colors eventually. We should be able to test the theory here if there's any correlation.too many variables for me, people talk about sexing seedlings ahead of time and culling likely males.....uhhh but what if half those males......aren't males. Pheno hunting you'd have culled a huge portion of potentials.....

Cheers