What's new

Outdoor growing without canopy at 2500' elevation?

AyoRiver

I am completely new to growing cannabis, though I have grown hops and various other vegetation for several years.
I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on growing at 2500' elevation without a canopy?
The grow site is located in Ashland, OR with silty loam soil, though I think I will be potting the plants on pallets with soil from an outside source that is already amended and next season after I am more proficient in growing, plant directly into the ground possibly.
Will 2500' in elevation be too cold without a canopy? Or, what are the benefits of adding the cost of a canopy? I know a lot of people are obviously growing at higher elevations in colorado and 2500' is not much to compare to. Any advice about higher outdoor growing would be appreciated!

Hello AyoRiver, I wouldn't be concerned about the elevation! But sounds like your concerns are with low temps. I grow at 8000' and do use a cheap greenhouse for privacy and for the colder temps late summer, early fall. Cannabis is a very hearty plant and can withstand mild freezes. What are the temps in your neck of the woods?

russjcan

Advantages of a screenhouse setup are elimination of flying insects that like to lay eggs in your flowers and some control over the weather. Hard rain is reduced to a mist. Sleet or hail is caught before it hits the plants. Temperature is warmer and wind is reduced. Smell is dispersed up instead of out so neighbors aren't impacted. I'm in a suburban neighborhood in the San Joaquin Valley and have used this setup for years with minimal problems. When I do release ladybugs they have to stay.
I get the cover at megagreenhouse supply. It's for covering row crops and will last for years. Frame is 3/4 pvc. Sides are two layers of 4 foot orange fencing,two layers of sunscreen and two layers of reed fencing all sandwiched and wired together. A 10 foot high wall with the sunscreen fabric anchored at the top of the wall and the reed fence and freeway fence at the bottom will provide privacy and airflow. I've got 350 sq feet and pulled 22.5 lbs last year with this setup.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen plants survive 23°F for less than an hour and 28°F over night in my very dry climate. Ashland's way more humid than me so you're plants may not endure those temps well.

I'm at 7K and my OD plants performed better than my GH plants.
They are more dense & taste better OD, IME.