What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Far red leds (730 nm)?

brown_thumb

Has anyone considered adding a few old style incandescent bulbs for the far red light? I realize they're inefficient and hot but they make so much red, far red and IR that it might be worth their efficiency shortcomings.

Has anyone considered adding a few old style incandescent bulbs for the far red light? I realize they're inefficient and hot but they make so much red, far red and IR that it might be worth their efficiency shortcomings.
If you are that keen on adding these wavelengths then HPS is your answer. HPS make those wavelengths in abundance and are very efficient.

Cheers.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Incandescent bulbs output 90% of their energy in the infra red range.
The overwhelming majority of this infra red is 1000 nm and longer, good for heat but not enough energy in the photons for chemical reactions.
The 750 to 900 nm light stimulates tip growth in the roots and branch ends. This is not a benefit on an otherwise healthy plant. Spindly and weak if the spectrum is not balanced.

Low energy ornamental plants are often grown with residential fluorescent bulbs mixed with incandescent bulbs to good effect.
These are not the plants we grow.

h.h.

Veteran
Incandescent bulbs output 90% of their energy in the infra red range.
The overwhelming majority of this infra red is 1000 nm and longer, good for heat but not enough energy in the photons for chemical reactions.
The 750 to 900 nm light stimulates tip growth in the roots and branch ends. This is not a benefit on an otherwise healthy plant. Spindly and weak if the spectrum is not balanced.

Low energy ornamental plants are often grown with residential fluorescent bulbs mixed with incandescent bulbs to good effect.
These are not the plants we grow.

I think overuse of my 1750 Vero COBs led to foxtailing in my top buds.
I limited it to just one plant, so no real harm. I just wanted to see what would happen.
While not limited test, I won't be repeating it. I'm cutting back to just using them an hour or two a day.

My Growthstar LED has a multiple chip on board (MCOB) setup which has UV (380nm) and far red (730) incorporated into each cob. The MCOB consists of 30 x 3w chips run at 50% plus a 5w fan. Their full spectrum light produces extremely resinous flowers of the highest quality.

picture.php

picture.php

G

https://www.rapidled.com/supplemental/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=111s&v=e0OPv7CfI3s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLFeGgzTAA8vmCCFeN9Ajb9dokk1VBnPLJ&v=lwYk4L14vd4

The Emerson Effect Booster board is just a bit to long for my tent or I’d have one and add a controller. For now I just ordered the Puck and will use a powerveg 660 2’ T5 on timers until I figure out how to build a shorter version of the booster board or find a comparable quality one with the same ability to dim and control each spectrum separately.