What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow 5x5 critique

sldcr16

Hey all. I recently moved to Colorado and plan on exercising my right to grow marijuana for personal use. I have permission from my landlords to grow indoors however I need to control the smell and can't modify the property. Here is my plan so far, critiques encouraged:

5'x5' Gorilla Grow tent
1x 1000w HPS bulb, digital ballast, air cooled hood (enclosed or open?)
8" 200+ CFL fan and ducting
Carbon filter
Negative pressure ventilation to a nearby window
Foxfarm OF soil
3 or 5gal smart pot style containers
General Hydroponics veg (and bloom later on) fertilizer
Small oscillating fan for air movement within tent
pH up and down

I will have all of the grow (Veg and Bloom tents) on a single 20amp circuit that also runs to my and my roommates bedrooms, however neither of us run anything over 200w total each on the circuits. By my calculations there should be plenty of spare capacity. And if necessary I can set up the veg tent on another circuit but it would not be in my ideal location.

I plan on doing a perpetual harvest style grow, with a new plant entering the flowering tent every week for a total of 8 or 9 plants in the flowering tent at any given time.

I plan on beginning the plants on several spacers and removing the spacers as the plants grow so they remain 2-3ft below the 1000w lamp.

I'm asking for critiques in general but I also had a few questions:

Is there enough room in a 5x5 for 9 plants in a perpetual harvest style soil grow?
Are there any common issues with a perpetual harvest style set up?
Would i be able to go with 2x600w HPS bulbs instead of 1x1000w HPS bulb (I'm thinking for a more dispersed coverage, more lumens per watt, and the ability to get the bulb closer to the plants for better penetration, and simply adding a few thousand extra lumens)
Am I able to add additional lighting to the flower tent, probably a high quality 200w LED or something as I need to keep my total lighting on this 20amp/120v circuit under 1400-1600w.
Is a 200 CFL fan and filter combo enough to manage a 5x5 flower tent. Keep in mind I have the ability to vent it outdoors if necessary.

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks for the time

H

Huckster79

think about adding co2 and eitherway you go with hps add a couple leds... when you use hps as your work horse you can use led that wont break bank but add some spectrum and such. mars hydro 300w(140 true) go for $135 for two on ebay, too weak for flower on their own..

co2 will give you cusion with temps.... im running 91 as a high now that its got warm and not a single sign of heat stress... Dont let people tell you co2 is only for veterans,,,, been using it since my first microgrow... bottled is easiest...

mjlifestyle

Looks like you have the plan set up nicely.

The only thing I can comment on (as I'm a rookie myself) is for the air cooled hood to be enclosed AND have independent ducting (so it's separate from the main ducting for carbon filter + air extractor). It will make your life so much easier getting the hot air out of the tent without it ever mingling with the air the plants breath in. And having the hood open won't allow you to do that. Plus, if you seal it (I just used scotch tape) and have the extractor push the air towards the light bulb (instead of sucking it out), you'll have positive pressure within the hood so you'll be able to push the air out without needing an additional carbon filter, even if the seal is not perfect. That's the setup I use and I have no smell whatsoever leaking out of the tent. I push cold air through the hood and it just goes out hot, but with no smell.

As for 2x600W instead of one 1000W, I'm guessing pretty much everyone would advice for it. I can't see any drawbacks, except for the initial hassle of setting them up (and the small cost diff). Good luck!

sldcr16

I've been informed there are ballast splitters which will allow me to run the 2 600's from one ballast. Thanks for the advice with the hoods, venting, LED supplementation, and co2.

H

Huckster79

and btw for full disclosure Im no seasoned vet myself... just these things ahve worked for me. also Im not advising temps that high... tho some say its fine. I was researching that when I seen your post.... even if long term I need to get that temp down at least it didnt totally screw up my girls in a matter of a few days....

and yes I just seen ballasts that would run two lights.... dont know a thing about em but seen em somewhere so yes they at least exist

H

Huckster79

oh also check into heavey 16 Prime.... I beleive can be used with other nute lines.... It eliminates need for PHup and PH down... as long as your starting with reasonable PH water... I hated messing with PH up and down, I added Prime to my line up and havent done it since and not a single defficiency..... just makes life easier, other supposed benefits to the shit too but thats a big one for me

Tynehead Tom

I'm running a 6x6 tent with a vertically hung 940 HPS ultra ace hortilux , 9 plants in 3 gallon wides in a circle around the light is perfect. should be perfect for a 5x5 as well.
I am running open bulb, 450 cfm exhaust, passive intakes. Average peak temps 82F with light on at night.

sldcr16

ive decided to go with a single 1000w set up. does anyone know about DE tech, or hav0e any brand recommendations for bulbs/ballasts/enclosed hoods. trying to do DE/AC (double ended, air conditioned)

H

Huckster79

Best of luck! Your really doing your due diligence which shows you care- that is more important than exact set up any day. And know that you'll likely change something grow by grow as you gain your own style and experience. I'm not long experienced but been fortunate so far, but I'm constantly tweaking things n improving...

You may find as I do the growing is just as or more therapeutic than the end product