What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Study: Cannabis alters DNA, leading to cancer in your offspring

getbuck

So here we have the next big "cannabis is bad for you because of X" type study. Only this time the risk includes doing harm to your offspring and their offspring!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...tations-trigger-illness-including-cancer.html

The article/study says that someking cannabis alters your dna, leading to mutations that COULD possibly cause cancer and other serious illnesses and that these mutations COULD be transferred to your offspring.

After a quick look the study seems to be about the fact that cannabis use (like any other substance including foods in fact) changes your DNA (which is changing constantly) and these changes/mutations could be harmful and they are passed down to your children.

Looks like this is another scare-tactic study probably funded by groups in certain interest to throw a wrench into the legalization movement, funny that this study comes from Australia where a big medical marijuana reform just went through..

Any comments?

To me this is interesting, there have been many studies implicating that various substances, chemicals and even life experiences change our DNA and carry that information to our children. ie. war trauma seems to increase certain problems, tobacco use leads to higher cases of asthma in the grandchildren of smokers, rats who were conditioned to fear a certain sound passed the fear to their offspring without being in contact with them etc...

To me there is a BIG leap going from "cannabis alters dna" to "cannabis causes serious illnesses in your children and their children"

getbuck

Apparently Dr Stuart Reece who is behind this study is quite a controversial character, employed by the "Drug Free Australia" and a well known anti-cannabis advocate. Quick google search turned up interesting stuff on this gentleman...

kakaman

This is for pregnant women who smoke it, it is most likely not good for preggos to eat it either but never heard of eating it causing cancer. Round up weed killer is on most of our food and it causes birth defects and cancer but they don't outlaw that. Most of this crap comes from the British media like "Saudi Arabia is your friend" and "cannabis will LITERALLY make you go insane and kill people'' and the ideas tend to go unchallenged because of the restrictions they put on freedom of speech in the UK and European Union.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Well I agree pregnant women shouldn't smoke.

The issue I am having is there is no link to a research paper that has been submitted for peer review. Most any media article is questionable until you research the source. Here it is not given.

Makes the findings skeptical. I have a hard time thinking that it does correlate to cancer because some cultures where it is common (India Pakistan) for millennium haven't seen more cancer. In fact I believe those regions have less (but in part due to spices like curry)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What the seeker seeks,
The finder finds!

This is more than likely another BULL SHIT scare tactic to fuck with the gullible.

FireIn.TheSky

MarijuAna is the devil but GMO corn and soy doused in glyphosate is fine.

You want to really know what is altering your dna and giving you cancer look no further than your GMO food.

I will say however not all marijuana is created equal if your MJ has been sprayed by pesticide or fungicide there is a good chance you are smoking bad stuff which could potentially cause cancer, but that would be the chemicals applied not the marijuana itself. Know your source.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Reminds me of way back when LSD was said to cause chromosomal damage leading to birth defects. Look up Dr. Sidney Cohen, (Cohen, Marinello & Back, 1967). The sample size for his research on this subject was one patient. Of course, the media blew it way out of proportion and the propaganda ensued.

corky1968

Veteran
If Cannabis can do all of that. Just imagine what Big Macs and plastic fries can do? :tiphat:

To be honest, processed meats with sodium nitrite added can produce cancer.
If you react sodium nitrite with an acid. Nitrous acid is released. This is used in
laboratory to actually cause real genetic changes. It's a real Mutagen.

Mutagenesis by Nitrous Acid

Floridian

Veteran
That's bullshit man I only trust the National Institute on drug abuse..wait a minute no THAT is some bullshit lol

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The asshole isn't totally wrong. Humanity has been smoking/consuming cannabis for thousands of years, I'd like to think it has affected human DNA for the better over that time to now and we will continue to 'evolve' as long as humans remain. Didn't Michelangelo use it? and we know about Sherlock Holmes.

Dat Igorant MF!:biggrin:

The issue I am having is there is no link to a research paper that has been submitted for peer review. Most any media article is questionable until you research the source. Here it is not given.

Makes the findings skeptical. I have a hard time thinking that it does correlate to cancer because some cultures where it is common (India Pakistan) for millennium haven't seen more cancer. In fact I believe those regions have less (but in part due to spices like curry)

My first thoughts were take a look at India. Of course they will argue that 'modern cannabis' is different somehow.

India needs to get their propaganda machine rolling to stimulate their own economy. HEADLINE : 'EATING CURRY AFTER CONSUMING CANNABIS PREVENTS CANCER'. There will be a worldwide curry explosion. Then they can slowly raise the price, and cha ching!! $$$ lol

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

i also want to read the findings. so i looked, it is behind a paywall.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0027510716300574

Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis
Volume 789, July 2016, Pages 15–25

Review
Chromothripsis and epigenomics complete causality criteria for cannabis- and addiction-connected carcinogenicity, congenital toxicity and heritable genotoxicity

• School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
<dl style="display: block;" class="articleDates smh"><dd>Received 11 January 2016, Revised 17 April 2016, Accepted 1 May 2016, Available online 4 May 2016</dd></dl><hr id="abs_author-highlightsabs00101" class="artHeader">Highlights

<dl class="listitem" id="list_lis0005"><dt class="label">•</dt><dd>Chromothripsis occurs when a chromsome becomes dislodged from the mitotic spindle, isolated in micronuclei and chaotically re-connected.
</dd><dt class="label">•</dt><dd>Cannabis has been shown to disrupt tubulin dynamics and induce micronucleus formation and chromosomal mis-segregation in mitotic anaphase.
</dd><dt class="label">•</dt><dd>Cannabis has been linked epidemiologically with major foetal malformations and cancer induction in children and cancers in adult populations.
</dd><dt class="label">•</dt><dd>Chromothripsis and epigenetic damage from cannabis form major pathways to oncogenesis, fetotoxicity and ageing in humans and their offspring.
</dd><dt class="label">•</dt><dd>Explication of mechanisms for cannabis and other addictions closes the logical loop and completes the criteria for the assignment of causality.
</dd></dl><dl style="display: block;" class="articleDates smh"><dt>.....</dt></dl>there is a short video presentation describing this work at the above link.

kaochiu

Veteran
Anyway, cancer is the mínimum we should expect from cannabis, as well as lesbianism, communist ideas and piles! As much as Fleet St.'s Ink provokes alcoholic incontinence and lyrical prostitution.
I wonder, really, how much exactly costs to print that kind of "news", and if the deal it's VAT'd, and if it's made through the normal advertising ways or you've got to play golf with the paper's editor. Maybe is affordable, and the community could pay for breaking news such "cannabis makes the ugly fuckable, by Nigella Milfworth Phd" or, "Cannabis link to inmortality? A scientific study, by Cecil Quiddaworth PhD" or maybe a striking "Forget your mortgage and grow a second penis with UK cannabis, by Margaret Thatcherworth PhD"

Last edited: