What's new

Suncloak - a completely different way to vert

timmur

I know everyone thinks of HID lighting when growing vertically, but this new LED tech is very cool. I posted a link of it on the LED forum, but the interest was very low. Part of the issue is the cost of the systems. The yields are really good and the lower cost of operation are the major selling points. Anyway I'm just a fan of this new tech and wanted to start a conversation around it. I'm actually curious about the yield per square foot that folks are able to achieve using HID lighting against this new tech.

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with the company; I'm just a fan of the tech. There was some question of that when I posted in the LED forum. I just wanted to head that one off at the pass. BTW, I don't do vert, but I'm just starting to look into this style of growing and want to evaluate this new tech vs the standard HID lighting approach.

12465921_1540084399644094_3445139828799715329_o.jpg

City-Of-Trees.jpg

O

OG Tree Grower

I usto grow with an old guy that used the old 4 foot bulbs, he would take the ballast and reflector off them and put them in all his corners stood vertically with the trees. It was pretty cool and I always thought of copying it but never did

timmur

Cool. I would like to see more about this.

I've seen documented grows on another site, but you can see most of it from their website. I've talked to the guy that (owns?) the company and he's really pretty cool. He may show up in this thread to answer questions. Cooling requirements for the system are very low so that needs to factored into decisions about it's ROI. If I hadn't already made a big investment in CMH in a horizontal grow room, I would probably jump on it.

I'm really hoping to see comparisons of this approach to the standard HID vert.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I really like the idea, im sure this will be the future at some point...

But after looking at the grows on their website, the buds look fluffy and not very compact...

And man, those are just cheap Chinese LED's, absolutely nothing special....

COB's and Lenses would really make an impact on the light output....

Just imagine the same concept, but with 4" wide panels with COB W Lens @ 1 ft intervals all the way around the plant...

timmur

I really like the idea, im sure this will be the future at some point...

But after looking at the grows on their website, the buds look fluffy and not very compact...

And man, those are just cheap Chinese LED's, absolutely nothing special....

COB's and Lenses would really make an impact on the light output....

Just imagine the same concept, but with 4" wide panels with COB W Lens @ 1 ft intervals all the way around the plant...

You read my mind. I told the owner that they chose the wrong spectrum to emulate. DE Gavitas that they chose to copy are nice, but COBs and CMH have much better spectrum. Too bad they don't put these together with better LEDs. I was so excited about the idea that I forgot to consider quality in the comparison. Thanks for weighing in krunch.

EL ROBUSTO

Hmm interesting cost would be a factor for sure, as krunch noted better LEDs as well.
It's a shame LED technology is just so stupidly expensive, because light emitting diodes are most definitely not new technology!!!!!

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would be fun to do a room with these JUSt to see what happens ..I have to say I'm intrigued but Krunch's point are well taken.

Latest posts

Latest posts