What's new

coco mulch

dork

i want to start mulching my organic garden. What do you guys think of using coco mulch. I dont see many using it.

soil margin

Veteran
In my mind it doesnt really serve all the purposes that a mulch should. All it really does is block light from hitting the soil, which is important, but I like a mulch that can hold a lot of water, kind of like a sponge, and help mediate moisture release into the soil. When it comes to providing a habitat for beneficial organisms, coco again doesn't really stand up to some other types of mulch mixes.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
coco mulch doesn't make much sense to me either. i think of mulch materials more like straw or rice hulls & even things like burlap or shade cloth. i mulch w/ ewc or compost sometimes to kind of humus in my greener additions {like dynamic accumulators esp alfalfa} but i cover those w/ rice hulls & i also like to shred dried canna stems for a nice mulch

anyway, a separate, drier, high carbon material to shade the top, keep moisture in & create a little habitat in that top layer

dork

thanks for chiming in guys. Cocoa Shell Mulch is what i was asking about.
I spelled it wrong. I do have dogs but they do not have access to my indoor garden.

MicroRoy

They have the same PH.

Did you want to use it as mulch?

Or as part of your soil mix?

NPK 3 1 3

I thought about using it in my mix berore but was worried about my dog.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coco is high in carbon and holds water just fine. Not so sure on the chips.

I love me a coco fiber mulch. Mix in wood chips, plant matter, castings, etc. Easy to wet and the plants love it, I used to get a mat of roots.

Covers up peats major downside re: dry and water tight.

Latest posts

Latest posts