What's new

Glyphosate, primary ingredient in herbicide Round Up, is in 40% of products tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
ANH Releases Study of Glyphosate in Breakfast Foods

April 19, 2016 — Today, the Alliance for Natural Health-USA (ANH-USA) released the results of food safety testing conducted on an assortment of popular breakfast foods. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) testing revealed the presence of glyphosate; the most widely used agricultural herbicide, in 10 of the 24 food samples tested.
Glyphosate (N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine) is an herbicide developed in 1970 by Monsanto, who began developing GMO crops designed to withstand high doses of Roundup. Today, these seeds account for 94% of all soybeans and 89% of all corn being produced. The prevalence of these crops means that hundreds of millions of pounds of glyphosate are dumped onto the land every year.
“We decided to do this testing to see just how ubiquitous this toxin has become in our environment. We expected that trace amounts would show up in foods containing large amounts of corn and soy,” explained Gretchen DuBeau, executive and legal director of ANH-USA. “However, we were unprepared for just how invasive this poison has been to our entire food chain.”
This poison, recently named a probable carcinogen, or cancer-causing agent, by the World Health Organization (WHO), was detected in 10 of the 24 breakfast foods tested. Analysis revealed the presence of glyphosate in oatmeal, bagels, eggs- including the organic variety, potatoes and even non-GMO soy coffee creamer.
“Glyphosate has been linked to increases in levels of breast, thyroid, kidney, pancreatic, liver, and bladder cancers and is being served for breakfast, lunch and dinner around the world,” said DuBeau. “The fact that it is showing up in foods like eggs and coffee creamer, which don’t directly contact the herbicide, shows that it’s being passed on by animals who ingest it in their feed. This is contrary to everything that regulators and industry scientists have been telling the public.”
The presence of glyphosate in eggs and dairy supports the fear that the chemical is accumulating in the tissue of these animals, and therefore presumably also in human tissue, in a process called bioaccumulation.
Furthermore, testing for glyphosate alone does not even give us the full picture. The amounts detected by the ELISA test for glyphosate do not include any analogs of glyphosate, such as N-Acetylglyphosate, which is used by DuPont in its GMO formulations. These analogs may also be present in food and would add to the amount of glyphosate accumulated in human tissue. Glyphosate and its analogs are known endocrine disrupters for humans.
Clearly Americans are consuming glyphosate daily. The true safety of this chemical, just last year identified as a probably carcinogen by the WHO, is unknown. Current EPA standards have not been rigorously tested for all foods and all age groups. Evidence linking glyphosate with the increased incidence of a host of cancers is reason for immediate reevaluation by the EPA and FDA.

mowood3479

Veteran
Well that's lovely.. nothing like eggs and round-up to start ur day off right.
But it's cool i suppose cause they told me round up was ok to use up to the day of harvest...

shithawk420

Veteran
Yep.me too Lester.no disrespect to any one here but the farmers here do not give a damn about nothing but there selves.fuckers killed my bees with whatever they were spraying and made my animals sick.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
The farmers here spray Roundup on the plants so they all ripen at the same time and can be harvested. For this slight convenience we get Roundup in our toast. MMMMMMM tasty.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocrine_disruptor

Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that, at certain doses, can interfere with the endocrine (or hormone) system in mammals. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders.[1] Any system in the body controlled by hormones can be derailed by hormone disruptors. Specifically, endocrine disruptors may be associated with the development of learning disabilities, severe attention deficit disorder, cognitive and brain development problems; deformations of the body (including limbs); breast cancer, prostate cancer, thyroid and other cancers; sexual development problems such as feminizing of males or masculinizing effects on females, etc.[citation needed] Recently The Endocrine Society released a statement on Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs) specifically listing obesity, diabetes, female reproduction, male reproduction, hormone-sensitive cancers in females, prostate cancer in males, thyroid, and neurodevelopment and neuroendocrine systems as being affected biological aspects of being exposed to EDCs.[2] The critical period of development for most organisms is between the transition from a fertilized egg into a fully formed infant. As the cells begin to grow and differentiate, there are critical balances of hormones and protein changes that must occur. Therefore, a dose of disrupting chemicals may do substantial damage to a developing fetus. The same dose may not significantly affect adult mothers.

There has been controversy over endocrine disruptors, with some groups calling for swift action by regulators to remove them from the market, and regulators and other scientists calling for further study. Some endocrine disruptors have been identified and removed from the market (for example, a drug called diethylstilbestrol), but it is uncertain whether some endocrine disruptors on the market actually harm humans and wildlife at the doses to which wildlife and humans are exposed. Additionally, a key scientific paper, published in the journal Science, which helped launch the movement of those opposed to endocrine disruptors, was retracted and its author found to have committed scientific misconduct.[3]

Found in many household and industrial products, endocrine disruptors are substances that "interfere with the synthesis, secretion, transport, binding, action, or elimination of natural hormones in the body that are responsible for development, behavior, fertility, and maintenance of homeostasis (normal cell metabolism)."[4] They are sometimes also referred to as hormonally active agents,[5] endocrine disrupting chemicals,[6] or endocrine disrupting compounds (EDCs).[7]

Studies in cells and laboratory animals have shown that EDs [?] can cause adverse biological effects in animals, and low-level exposures may also cause similar effects in human beings.[8] The term endocrine disruptor is often used as synonym for xenohormone although the latter can mean any naturally occurring or artificially produced compound showing hormone-like properties (usually binding to certain hormonal receptors). EDCs in the environment may also be related to reproductive and infertility problems in wildlife and bans and restrictions on their use has been associated with a reduction in health problems and the recovery of some wildlife populations.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You are correct Shithawk, the farmers I try to talk to about the goddam roundup get hostile at the mention of the stuff. I simply asked what they did before roundup. I thought I was going to get shot. I told the fucker that if he's going to sell poison vegetables by the road people have the right to know what's sprayed on them. Farmer told me if I persisted, he would burn my house down. So yeah, this shit is a huge problem.

Glad I have a fence and no chemicals whatsoever have been sprayed on my land in the last 40+ years at least. Buyers beware what you are buying, roundup is common, and mass sprayed. Non-GMO is the way to go because the Non-GMO plants cant survive roundup. People need to form organizations to stand up to these farmers and get them to stop using the crap. Just be careful, it makes their life way easier so they get very testy about it.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yes.that's exactly what it boils down to Lester.it makes their lives easier and say fuck you to the little guy and or consumer.my buddy claims he's all organic but when his neighbor sprays I wonder how organic it really is.and yes I'm dead center of Ag country.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Time to go Organic..

Time to go Organic..

I do not use pesticides on my grow.

If it's not organic or free range I generally don't eat it.

Peace

redlaser

Veteran
A large part of the problem with Roundup getting out of control is the 90 days of testing required for pesticides. 90 days is not enough by a long shot, and if that doesn't get addressed little will change. There are at least 2 different two year long studies, one in France by Gilles-Eric Seralini, "Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Round-up tolerant genetically modified maize". The study showed massive tumors, kidney and liver damage in rats on a genetically modified Roundup ready maize diet. Some of the rats were given .1 ppb roundup in drinking water, a rate found in some tap water normally. Tumors showed up in 7 months. Monsanto claimed the study was no good because those type of rats are prone to tumors, even though Monsanto used the same rats for their own "trials" that lasted a whole 90 days.

FireIn.TheSky

The World Health Organization has come out a recognized Round Up as a known carcinogen, spread the word, no one should use this stuff for anything.

Abolish Monsanto, these greedy @$$holes don't care about your health, they want you to get cancer and die but not before you shell out thousands of dollars to the medical and pharmaceutical industry trying to save yourself.

Buy organic when ever possible, if you are buying conventionally grown food chances are you are eating tons of round up and much worse. GMO crops and round up go hand in hand, they are sold to be used together.

If you don't care about yourself enough think of future generations, we are poisoning our fields, our water, killing off animals, bugs, bacteria, and ourselves while playing russian roulette with our naturally occurring food crops.

shithawk420

Veteran
While I agree with you the fda and big ag and big farmers will not allow it to stop anytime soon.we are all gonna get cancer eventually from this shit.so who cares? That's the reality of it.sorry

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
what ever happened to pulling weeds or burning them....yeehaw....I have never used that crap...and anyone that does should be ashamed of themselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts