What's new

Tynehead Tom's 0'degree C , grow and show

Tynehead Tom

Okay my friends, pack the bong, twist up yer phattys and git yer dabs ready..... I'm gonna leave ya scratching yer head and wondering "what the fu....." while I sort my pics and get this show going. it was only a short few weeks ago and I was doing this :biggrin:
picture.php

I've been a backyard and guerilla grower outdoors for the past decade. Prior to that I started my journey of indoor growing discovery and learning, back in the tail end of the 80's. At the time, the old timers who schooled me were long time growers and underground breeders. I continued that journey until about 2004 when life took me in a direction away from indoor growing.

So while sitting in that there 0' Celcius ice hut and looking at it's roomy 6x6x7 interior, I got me a grand idea ;) the guys I'm fishin with are 20+ and 30+ year growers and they have been kickin me in the ass to get my gear on LOL

stay tuned :peacock:

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

So I set the ice hut up in a large spare room upstairs and it takes about 1/2 the volume of the room. Perfect, the room can act as a lung room.
I have electric baseboard heat and wood heat only. This is perfect as I can control the temp of that room with it's baseboard during lights out.
My lights run at night to take advantage of the colder night air.
--> lights on : window wide open, blinds closed, three passive vents on the window side of the tent. small 8" fan keeping the air flowing. Exhaust fan on during lights on only. 14" oscillating fan I took the stand off of and put in a basket on the floor, pointing up 8" under the light. It sits stationary blowing the air up allowing plants to be much closer to the bulb. I'm also running a small room humidifier in the tent to keep humidity up as I live in a very dry climate.
--> Lights off : window closed, black white poly curtain pinned over window, baseboard turned up to keep temp at 70F. oscillator under light is on 24/7. passive intake assist fan off, humidifier off, exhaust off.

Inside the ice hut I fastened paracord tightly around the top inside perimeter and cut sections of blackwhite poly and fastened all the way around. this gives me a highly reflective and light proof interior and it only took about 2 hours and was ready for fans and lights. the natural opening and window features of the ice hut made it easy to pull this off with ZERO modifications or alterations to the Hut itself. When I'm done growing in it, it's ready for fishin ;)

***this ice hut cost me 119.00 Canadian on sale at season end clearance a couple years ago. The big box sellers like cabelas ect blow these suckers out at years end. if yer gonna try this instead of a fancy schmancy premade grow tent, the 2 man versions would be good for a 400/315chm/LED grow and these 4 man units.... well, you can easily stick a 1000 watter in there LOL
And before someone asks, yes, I can afford a well designed and purpose made grow tent but I live in the middle of nowhere and a grow store that sells those is hours away. Not something I want to mail order either. I think I made out okay with the plan I have put into action here

light source is a hortilux 940 Ultra Ace HPS conversion. it runs on a 1000w Cap and Coil Metal halide ballast
here's some pics to get us started
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

Exhaust sytem : inside the tent up in the top I put a 4 foot parabol reflector. It's more or less there to direct air from the fan below the light. The air current created gives a nice and very gentle breeze back down to the plants, mixing the air nicely. The lamp cord passes down thru it to the socket housing and lamp, which is hanging vertical in center of the tent. The exhaust fan ducting runs from the center hole of the parabol, out the window of the tent and thru a 450CFM centrifugal fan and ducted out to the doorway of the bedroom. Door is closed during lights out and is open and venting the room during lights on. Digital inside/outside temp/humidty with high/low recording, monitors both lung room and inside the tent ;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

So i'll fill you all in on the Varieties and Cultivars I currently have in my stable, for those who haven't followed my other threads.

I started the following beans march 1st.:
Ustad seeds -shiskaberry 3 F2 bred from breeder steve shiskaberry 3 stock. (shiskAberry back to shiskHeberry to make shiskaberry3)-->>> TWO MALES kept

Spice of life/breeder steve, circa 1998 seeds - shiskaberry F1(shiskheberryxDJblueberry male)-->>> 1 female kept (male cloned)

Cash Crop Ken - Nuken (shiskaberry x god bud) --->>> ONE MALE kept

and I also have the BC med community clone only , Black Tuna (herijuanaxlambsbread)

I am first and foremost a HUGE fan of breeder Steve and I hope that my endeavors are a tribute to the killer weed he put in my hands in the form of a vial of seed, getting close to 20 years ago now. We don't know each other, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time buying seeds so many years ago LOL
Anyhow, I am going to be growing shiskaberry and Black Tuna for now and plan to start a pollination project in a very short time here.
The crosses will be:

Shiskaberry F1 female x Shiskaberry 3 male #4 branch in bag pollination
Shiskaberry F1 female x shiskaberry 3 male #7 branch in bag
Shiskaberry F1 female x Nuken male branch in a bag
Black Tuna x Nuken -full plant pollenation
Black Tuna x Shiskaberry 3 #4 - full plant
Black Tuna x Shiskaberry 3 #7 - full plant

pics and details of the set up coming shortly ;)

Tynehead Tom

I won't bore you all with the growing up to this point, if you are interested, I have a black tuna thread and ustad shiskaberry threads in the breeding and trying out new strains forums and a shiskaberry journal if you want to read up on the back story.
The O degree grow show will start by chronicalling what's in the tent right now and I may provide the odd interlude to showcase my Black tuna mom I'm aggressively training and the progress of the clones and next phase Veg.

I have a seedbay order inbound as well and will be adding some selections from Antenna seeds as well as Chimera...... to be announced ;)

My tent is growing Vertical in 3 gallon sunshineshine mix 4, supplement with XX fine and fine grain dolomite lime.
Feeding ratios of Lucas formula general hydro flora (full strength = 8ml micro/16ml bloom). I am using RO water and using my well water to make any desired PH adjustments when needed. seems to be keeping a slight mag/cal issue in check and plants are rocking right along.
Right now I am feeding full strength with food (about 980ppm) and about .60 to .75 gallon every 3 days. Go for TWO feedings at PH 6.3 and flush on 3rd feeding 1 gallon and observing 10% to 15% run off.
Temps 70F to 82F
RH 40% to 50% average 45%
-edit***** NOTE----> somewhere early in flowering, I changed the feed, feed, flush cycle to PH to 6.8 and dropped feedings to 1/2 gallon (8ml micro/16ml bloom) , every 3 to 4 days, for two feedings. Then flushing with 2 gallons on the 3rd "feeding", PH 6.8 ppm 350- 380 (2ml micro/4ml bloom per gallon). This kept any further PH/nute lockout/deficiency in check for the duration. (** 3 gallon pots)

will add some plant pics shortly ;)

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

These are all 13 days into flowering
shiskaberry is a 42 to 49 day flowering time (vegged 5 weeks from seed)
Black Tuna 8/9 weeks flowering time(vegged 10 days from rooted clones)

Shiskaberry F1 at 17" tall
picture.php

picture.php

Black Tunas average 14" tall
picture.php

picture.php

Tynehead Tom

and the pollen donors in order of appearance , Shiskaberry3 F2 #4 , the bushier pheno with the sweeter old school shisk smell. the shiskaberry 3 F2 #7, minimal branching, strong old school shiskaberry smell. Nuken , just looks exactly like a shiskaberry keeper phenol I used to have. It's got chunky thick branches and super tight node formations for a male. it reeks over old school shiska, which is a sharp mango skunky funky berry candy smell. again 13 days flowering but these got one week in the tent and are now on 12/12 under 4100K T8 florescents and doing just fine as you can see (these were shot yesterday day 12)
SB3 #4
picture.php

SB3#7
picture.php

Nuken
picture.php

that's it for now, feel free to comment, critique, make suggestions, off topic is fine, I'm a pretty easy goin dude ;)

Tynehead Tom

nice show..

I'm just getting started TDK ;)
I have spent the past couple months getting stuff together and building my permanent rooms in my garage. Once those are done I'll be showing what I'm up to. These plants are just for seeds and birthday weed and the use of this tent was a last minute so I could get "something" going.
Also it's my practice run from being away from indoor growing for so long.

Tynehead Tom

Okay, in an effort to keep this interesting and maybe draw a crowd LOL here's some more pics of weed in action !

Some folks thought I was nuts when I posted in my journal that I killed the only Spice Of life original shiskaberry F1 (1998 seeds) male from the 2 seeds that made it. Well, I wanted to keep him in reserve until Chimera's C4 arrives from seedbay. I have plans mruahahaha
So I cloned him last week and at day 7 around noon I lifted the lid to find one of three clones I took off him, blasting roots. I should have taken a pic but needless to say, today is veg day 1
picture.php

and back on mar28 , the day I got the black tuna clones, one came with the top busted off and only had 1 fan leaf and really no visible growth at the remaining nodes. here's a pic, it is on the left and the only one with only 1 leaf. She is now on her way to becoming a mom.
picture.php

leaving it under my slow veg fixture containing 4 x 4ft , maxlight high lumen 4100K florexcent lights and keeping them about 4" off the leaves, she is doing very well now growing her way to being a stellar "Bonzai" style mom.
the idea is to bend and train using HST (high stress training) and have been twisting, bending , crushing to get the main stem and the union of the two branches to level out and balance the plant hormones. It is still trying to favor the one side and today I tweaked the stem under the union until I felt it give and then used a twist tie to pull the dominant side down.
The idea will to have the two main limbs , topped once 4 robust branches form on those. the new side shoots are also being treat with rigourous HST to get them 90 degree to the main beams and growing horizontally out from the plant, topping those 8 branches once 4 nodes have formed on those. It should form a square plant in a "grid" of 32 tops growing straight up. Another week and I will be trimming the tops off the main beams, once the 8 total side branches have started. Hoping for a 1 foot x 1foot square mother plant, ready to feed one 32 site SOG table, every 3 to 4 weeks. For flip room harvest every 4.5 weeks
here she is
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

right on man ;)

I have the following inbound
Antenna Seeds- Imag private breeder- purple lazerlite and blue lazerlite
Chimera Seeds- C4

there are not many packs left in the world of C4 so I just snapped up a couple from seedbay and those will also be on the way ;) I have been a huge fan of chimera's since waaayyyyyy back but have not grown their stuff in years n years. One of the few breeders I immediately recognized when I joined icmag.
Antenna seeds is brought to us by Icmag member fabvariousk and I am really excited to try his offerings. He has sent along a free pack of the bluelazerlite, a shiskaberry(female) cross that I'm dying to try out.
so if you've been curious about Antenna's offerings or you want to see some old school chimera gear C4 (also a shiskaberry cross) , stay tuned, hopefully the seeds arrive in time for the full moon germination ;)

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

Dear Grow Diary..... :D
update :
A car rolled up my driveway today and it wasn't the wife coming home early from her vacation. Caused quite a stir seen as I don't get many un announced visitors where I live. My rottweillers were in full on spazz mode, which they don't get to do very often it's so quiet around here. Anyhow, long story short, I had mentioned in another thread about my buddy who was one of the first to get the authentic UBC Kimo cut back in the turn of the 80's into the 90's. I also mentioned he has bred 1980's Purple Afghani seed stock with the UBC Kimo. Well, the car coming up my driveway unannounced way out here in the sticks contained my buddy sandy and he dropped some beans on me. They are vintage, original UBC Kimo clone only x Purple Afghani Male ( 5 males were used in an open pollination of 4 Kimo plants that were vegged for 2 months under 1000 watt lights.
I remember helping run all of that harvest thru window screen mesh to save the hash material and collect the seeds. No idea if these will sprout but I'd say there is 20 or 30 in the baggie. They were stored in a tin his deepfreeze. these seeds are 25+ years old so don't keep your hopes up. Gonna sprout them this week I think.

gorilla ganja

UBC Chemo was one of the first plants I seriously grew. Grew clones of it for years back in the day.
Nice gift from your friend. 25 Yrs is a long time, but if they didn't dry out and were frozen the whole time, they might just work.
Best of luck with those.

Cheers GG

Tynehead Tom

Ya I don't know what to do with these. I'll keep them frozen as I have a commercial freezer (I'm a hunter) , while I source some of the treatments guys are using to sprout old beans.
That and I have committed the next seed batch to be Chimera's C4 and 2 new varieties from Antenna seeds , purplelazerlite and bluelazerlite.
I also broke down and took advantage of some of the 30 buck fundraiser deals and grabbed some "bred by a respected icmag member" F2 10 packs of Bodhi dragon blood, Apollo 11 and F2's of OG raskals fire alien OG.
surprised all those beans are still there at that price, might have to get more LOL

as an update, shiskaberry3 F2 #4 male is popping!! Male pollen sacs are opening and pollen collection time is gonna start tomorrow.
Shiska F1 female is developing a real nice bud set and should be ready to have a branch pollenated within a week.

now Black Tuna is gonna be an issue as it is much slower to set flowers and is concentrating it's energies on stretch and filling out. Next time I try and get these to grow in a SOG fashion, I'm gonna veg under metal halide and flower the first 3 weeks with a halide to control that stretch some. At least I think it will anyways.
It truly blows my mind the size of the Black Tunas , They are really putting a smile on my face and I'm glad I didn't veg them any more than I did at 10 days LOL

I'll add more pics in a couple days. hopefully my seedbay order arrives this week and I can get to work layin down the next batch of beans.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I took 3 clones from shiskaberry F1 female and the first one had good roots blowing out of the peat puck today at day 8 or 9(?)
the other 2 look like they are feeding off roots now but haven't sent any out of the peat puck yet. First clones I've taken in 10 years or so and happy it's working out.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

okay here's some pics to keep things interesting
first up is the Black Tuna, there is 4 of them in the tent, all twins. Seems the stretch is done, I've pruned off some larfy low branches and a few minor lower bud sites. Should be good to leave em be now. gonna get some stakes for the pots in next few days.
picture.php

picture.php

and the surviving female Shiskaberry (circa 1998 Spice of Life)
I am really liking how this plant is stacking up
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tynehead Tom

well, Happy 420 everyone!
my seedbay order arrived today :D so I'm celebrating 420 early with all you folks from the other side of the globe

So, why delay, I immediately got to work and have sewn 9 Purple lazerlite by antenna seeds and a blast from the past Chimera C4 , threw down the whole pack.
will update on those once they germinate and break free from the soil.