What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Liquid Co2 extractions

whereisbrianV.

Greetings and welcome,

In the following thread I will profess my love for all that beautiful oil that comes from the Sub critical extractions.

Lets start with some examples of Liquid Co2 extracts.

picture.php

picture.php

whereisbrianV.

We run under 1056 psi and set the chiller to 0c.

These extractions were ran in a 5 liter Apeks.

The water content is around 2 to 5% largely due to the way the Apeks moves Co2 around. Our new designs have in filtration to remove impurities like water.

Crumble and shatters are possible but you must fraction off the water and terpenes to create a stable extract.

whereisbrianV.

Chris@psico2 can't see the pictures guy

Here is a little experiment I ran, wanted to see how much extract was left in the Co2 at the end of the cycle.

The extract is Purple Nug Bud that tested at 71% thc.

Chris@psico2

Weird they were there the other day. Hopefully these work.

Attachments

• extract.jpg
    extract.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 2015112295132254.jpg
    2015112295132254.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2016-03-07_21.56.11.jpg
    2016-03-07_21.56.11.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
  • product.jpg
    product.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8
Weird they were there the other day. Hopefully these work.

How is the flavor? And is it easy to handle? We've had similar results before however it was unbelievably sticky, contained some residual water still and wasn't a particularly tasty product...

What was the water content of these extracts?

Chris@psico2

How is the flavor? And is it easy to handle? We've had similar results before however it was unbelievably sticky, contained some residual water still and wasn't a particularly tasty product...

What was the water content of these extracts?

The consistancy of the extract is very similar to hydrocarbon extractions. Crumble or crystalline consistany. 12-15% returns and 68-75% THC without having to winterize(with good sugar trim). The flavors are excellent, people are always shocked that it is a CO2 product. Terps average around 1.5-2% and there is currentlys terp trap in the works . The unit is unique to the industry if the fact the it focuses on pulling solid compounds, not botanical oils. It uses a patent pending inline fraction system, which targets cannabinoids and this in turn speeds up extraction times up to 5 times faster.

Below is a pic of some of the concentrate after going straight into the vac oven. Able to get a consistent snap and pull without having to winterize.

Attachments

• DSC_0943~2.jpg
    DSC_0943~2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 8

whereisbrianV.

How much THC-A compared to THC?

You are using a mechanical fractional separation by depressurizing into a cylinder with a down steam turned at a angle to cause a vortex which centrifuges the extract into fractions. I have a problem with this style of separation because it works fine on a clean cylinder, but as soon as extract starts to accumulate on the walls of the cylinder the drag created disrupts the vortex. This combined with the inevitable accumulation of Liquid Co2 in the bottom of the cylinder will spell doom for all things down stream from the separator.

Chris@psico2

There are other systems that use this method, we do NOT. We have a patent pending separatory technology that is NOT being used by anyone else in the industry.

Here are a few lab results.

Attachments

• 12487224_1321800584504127_3955776106581240255_o_1.jpg
    12487224_1321800584504127_3955776106581240255_o_1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 10
  • StardogBotanicals_A154_PineappleStardog.pdf.pdf
    291.5 KB · Views: 42

whereisbrianV.

Those test look good, however I would prefer to see less decarb THC. The terpene levels seem really low, so much so that I wouldn't bother running strain specific loads if I couldn't expect to have more than 3% terpenes. My question to you would be, were are the terpenes going?

How about some Terpy Liquid Co2 Goodness?

Weedpaws

About the consistency of CO2 final product. Is it possible to end up with a shatter like form that actually shatter? Even if it requires wintherization or not.

Chris@psico2

Shatter is possible. Some strains obtain shatter consistency more easily than others.

Attachments

• Co2shatterbigslab.jpg
    Co2shatterbigslab.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Co2shatterpieced.jpg
    Co2shatterpieced.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 7
  • blue dream shatter.jpg
    blue dream shatter.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 9

Chris@psico2

Those test look good, however I would prefer to see less decarb THC. The terpene levels seem really low, so much so that I wouldn't bother running strain specific loads if I couldn't expect to have more than 3% terpenes. My question to you would be, were are the terpenes going?

How about some Terpy Liquid Co2 Goodness?
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66703&pictureid=1590098&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=66703&pictureid=1590097&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

We find that it is better to use the PSICO2 method that targets cannabinoids, especially when looking at the price points that other systems cost. Why target the terpenes when you want cannabinoids? It isn't that terpenes aren't valuable or beneficial, but current CO2 tech has not been producing extracts anywhere near the quality that BHO extracts have produced, so why focus on terpene rich concentrate if you are missing what you were going after? BHO has set the standard and these sappy CO2 oils drenched in ethanol and PG aren't up to par.
Terpenes don't "go" anywhere which is why were are developing new methods which collect those compounds, without taking from the efficiency or quality of the cannabinoid extract. There are phenotypical differences from extract to extract. We hosted a dab bar last week and had a High Times cannabis cup judge try three samples, one shatter, a pull and snap, and a crumble. He has never liked CO2 oil. Though unofficially, he stated it was the best he had ever had and that he actually would use it for personal. Many imitators will try and retrofit botanical oil technologies to apply to cannabinoids, our systems are not retrofitted nor are they standard by any means. We design for cannabinoids and in turn we get extracts that are similar to butane.

I'll take crumble and crystalline over oil any day!

Attachments

• extract.jpg
    extract.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 8
  • product.jpg
    product.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 7