Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Thai ganja strains - one explanation for the hermaphrodites

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Midweek Song - Buy Cannabis Genetics
Thai ganja strains - one explanation for the hermaphrodites Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 12:04 AM #11

"Research published last week showed clearly that GM pollen can contaminate fields up to three kilometres (1.85 miles) away."

That's from a BBC article, no refs, but note that that is an upper limit

I will find something better in a mo

Old 07-31-2006, 12:07 AM #12

this looks interesting, though it is not the paper with many different studies described

http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0153.html

"Once released from the anthers into the atmosphere, pollen grains can travel as far as ½ mile with a 15 mph wind in a couple of minutes (Nielsen, 2003b). However, most of a corn field's pollen is deposited within a short distance of the field. Past studies have shown that at a distance of 200 feet from a source of pollen, the concentration of pollen averaged only 1% compared with the pollen samples collected about 3 feet from the pollen source (Burris, 2002). The number of outcrosses is reduced in half at a distance of 12 feet from a pollen source, and at a distance of 40 to 50 feet, the number of outcrosses is reduced by 99%. Other research has indicated that cross-pollination between corn fields could be limited to 1% or less on a whole field basis by a separation distance of 660 ft., and limited to 0.5% or less on a whole field basis by a separation distance of 984 ft. However, cross-pollination could not be limited to 0.1% consistently even with isolation distances of 1640 ft."

Last edited by namkha; 07-31-2006 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 AM #13
Raco
secretion engineer

Raco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant future
WoW that´s a lot of info!! :smile:
Thx for the link
and let me tell you that corn was first successfully grown in my neck of the woods (in the north of Spain)
Also was thinking that the possibilities of Rif pollen been still viable when it reaches the south of Spain are higher due to the DRY air(and strong winds too)
I think that Thailand is a "wet" place in comparison
I apologize about my rustic english...I find it difficult to express myself well when it comes to threads like this

Last edited by Raco; 07-31-2006 at 01:50 AM..
Raco is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 AM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkha
history attests to the fact that pollen does not "get everywhere" by the fact that cannabis is a highly diverse genus/species... if pollen was as rampant as some people seem to think cannabis would be close to gentically uniform all around the globe, as it would have homogenised due to cross pollination
great thread, and this quote makes the most sense in any disscussion on pollen travelin great distances.

collectin pollen, with no air movement it falls straight down, does not float around like some would think as well.

on the hermie condition, i think its in all the asian lines, and tryin to grow um in less then the correct enviorment, is what causes the problems. but your point on shitty growers vs local growers, i can see where you would get a better product. grew some asian seed from a line outta vietnam, soldier back in the war had smoked it in a little village up in the mountains. he went back many years later and procured seed. that sativas been grown in that little area for many years. still hermies like a pro. theres been many a top notch grower grow um, and same deal.

hermaphrodites i believe are inherint in all MJ species/strains, any will flip if the conditions warrent it. its a survival mech within the plants. sativas tend to be less tolerant to enviormental changes.

CBF

Old 07-31-2006, 02:02 AM #15
Nate

Nate is on a distinguished road
Very interesting thread, a good read.

These growers in the mountains need to sell their seed! lol.

If I was to travel to thailand what is the chance I could get some good thai seed?
...I consider myself a road man for the lords of karma."
---Hunter Thompson, 2003

Nate is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 AM #16
Raco
secretion engineer

Raco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant futureRaco has a brilliant future
Hi Nate,
A thai OGer sent me seeds labeled "Black Market Thai"(straight from Thailand)
Robust seeds with a hard shell.I germinated one so far,last season and gave the plant to a friend that grew her outdoors....
what a huge tree!!
with exaggerated meandering stalk and branches,and even those were unequal in lenght!!
Unfortunately she never ended....just tiny buds by mid December
I´m not going to grow more of these....

Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 AM #17
Nate

Nate is on a distinguished road
A cool but tragic story Raco! I bet it was an awesome tree
...I consider myself a road man for the lords of karma."
---Hunter Thompson, 2003

Nate is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 02:36 AM #18
motaco
Old School Cottonmouth

Location: The road to Nowhere. But it's a long way away and it's going day by day so it's alright.
motaco has disabled reputation
pollen travel relies heavily on it being dry and windy. if you get rain or high humidity. don't count on such far distances
The point I'm trying to make here... is that there there ain't no point to it. Thats all it is. Because there ain't no point. You didn't ask to come here and you sure can't choose how to leave. You don't know when you're going to go. So don't take this shit serious now. You better have some fun and plenty of it. Because when the shit is over and you ask for a refund its too late. All I can tell you is to keep some sunshine on your face. -Mudbone
motaco is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2006, 03:14 AM #19
Chamba

"Most Thai strains are very late-maturing and subject to hermaphrodism. It is not understood whether strains from Thailand turn hermaphrodite as a reaction to the extremes of northern temperate weather or if they have a genetically controlled tendency towards hermaphrodism."

the high % of Thai hermaphroditism is not related to "extremes of northern temperate weather".......grow Thai seed in Florida or Southern Cali or Northern Australia for example and they'll hermie too with the same frequency as they do in Isaan!.

I've grown Thai seeds on the 25th Lat Nth for many years in the bush in prepared plots and they hermied with regularity (high rainfall, hot temps, two crops of rice per year growing area).....but it's still not that hard to grow Thai sense, plant more seeds than you think you'll need, then simply cull the males, runts and hermies as they appear....I've grown Thais under lights and in pots too..the occurance of hermies was the same as those grown naturally under the sun in the ground. These seeds were from numerous varied sources of commercial Thai bud in the 80's

out of eg 16 Thai seeds you'll get 3 or 4 males (with some showing females flowers), 6 ~ 10 hermies (that will appear at any stage during flowering) and 2,3 or 4 females that don't hermie or show minor hermie tendancies very late in flowering ...rarely are Thai hermies restricted to one branch as seen with some strains, males flowers on females tend to appear scattered thinly or thickly throughout the tree.

I do not believe that these Thai hermie traits are in any way influenced by environmental or photoperiod pressures (within reason that is), imho the primary cause of Thai hermaphroditism is genetic

Raco - it's a pity you couldn't clone that Thai with the asymetrical growth pattern....I found that Thai plants with no central cola that grew more like a "willow tree" tended to have a more trippier high and had several unique traits like complete leaf drop at harvest..but they also tended to hermie more than the Xmas tree growth pattern Thais. the best way to grow Thais and other long flowering sativa landraces is with clones taken in the month or two after they show sex. label them and end up keeping the clones from non-hermie plants......clones will stay more compact and trigger into flowering a little faster than seeds as they are sexually mature....these clones can be kept alive during Winter and planted out in Spring...and they will finish in Nov or Dec..while seedlings started early in the year might not mature until Jan or Feb...but this is not chisled in stone.....I've had seedlings finish in late Nov ~ Feb..if you live in an area with colder Nov ~ Jan , then plan ahead and plant these Thais against a south facing wall so they get warmth and maximum sun in the last trimester of flowering (when they need it!)

Chock Dee!

Last edited by Chamba; 07-31-2006 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 AM #20
Chamba

if viable pollen from Morrocco could travel to Spain then where are all the complaints from Spanish cannabis growers?

In my experience cannabis pollen travels much in the same way as the above study.....very localized..I used to grow from seed mostly, and would partially or lightly seed most of the females i grew...99% of this was controlled, even though males were in the vicinity (on the same 3 or 4 square miles..some were very close....10 metres or less away)...though I did mostly take a few precautions like cutting back the males close to the ground and down to one branch..or simply pushed them down horizontal to the ground and tipped them heavily before pollen drop, allowing only a few male flowers to drop pollen....a tiny branch will provide enough pollen to makes hundreds of seeds...Thai seed readily drops from the tree when mature.

Last edited by Chamba; 07-31-2006 at 06:25 AM..