What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding hermaphroditism traits from Landraces.

l33t

Veteran
I have read the "literature" out there but it still doesn't answer many of my questions. I guess this is because cannabis is pretty unique when it comes to sex so not much research has been done.

I understand most of the things but I would like some input from someone with years of experience ? How successful was someone at getting a strain that hermied extremely and removed this trait ? I know DJ Short believed that many of these exotic sativas are always hermie and it breeds true, you cant really remove this trait, unless you cross it ? How true is that ??

I found some seeds that hermied a lot ( 75% ) but I got 2 girls and one male that stayed true and the kids ( so far ) are ( 25% ) hermie. What should I expect if I use a "true" female and a "true" male again ? what scenarios am I looking at ?? Will using a late male that doesn't stretch like hell or preflowers easily help ? Many believe these traits are tied to the hermie ones ? I find the females I smoked are so unique and superior in many ways to many elite clones ( and I pretty much have smoked all of them ), I wouldn't mind breeding some years to remove the hermie trait. I cull(e)d everything that is hermie and I number and clone everything.

Have fun,
l33t

igrowone

Veteran
not a breeder, but have done some pollen chucking with hermie prone genetics
having to go back to working with those genetics because it has other traits that i want
from what i've read, all cannabis has the intersex trait, it can not be bred out
it's just a matter of degree
so subbing for any useful info

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
The males that flower in veg are likely, and I cull all males
that flower heavy in veg. You can grow many males and find the
ones that flower late, the ones that flower easily in veg
are a no go with most projects.

In my cross project I prohibit all female plants that show intersex to further crossing.
But I flower some intersex females because Gorilla Glue.

Takes a long time to breed a line that shows no intersex, but well worth the effort.

All male plants that later also flower female should be kept, but re veg is iffy.
So take cuttings of all plants that you choose to flower, male or female.

Selfing the best females will also give rise to the potential of the cultivar and
move you faster to what you seek.

Keep us posted, we're all counting on you.

l33t

Veteran
Have you done it with a landrace ? Can you talk more into it ? Thanks for your tips. I clone and number everything.I have seen many people claim it can be done just its a lot of work but noone really got into much detail.... Supposedly an indica x sativa ( that hermies ) is much easier to remove hermie trait but what happens with a landrace ? I guess working with big numbers and trying different combinations helps a lot without inbreeding the line further.

I kill all hermie plants as soon as they show hermie traits. I dont see how keeping a hermie plant would help.

I dont like the idea of selfing as technique for breeding but I would do it if I have no other way .

Thanks

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
My project is wide leaf, short time flowering type.

As an old fart I got no time to fuss with a cross project of narrow leaf
types.

Although I do flower a Thai haze and two phenos of zamaldelica,
all of which flower many weeks.

My wide leaf project has a three year cap, and I am currently
selecting F2 females for a back cross to the P1 male.

Almost at the twelve month mark, but the project's pace will
pick up after the first back cross.

Fuel

Disclaimer : I dont pretend anything but facts that i share as it. If you need a bunch of absolute rules and others EZ ways to think, just read the celebrities of cannabis wich deal with it. And sorry for my average english, i hate online translators.

I was in the same case, years ago. With an africaan strain. Maybe 25% less herm but, the deal is the same ... years after the patient zero. And soon i restart a similar project with another africaan. The ennemy is known.

How successful was someone at getting a strain that hermied extremely and removed this trait ?

I've losted the IBL, today the strain only survive in a F1 outcross. But the last pure state i've worked in 2010 was the 23th generations (pure) lines. Yes, splitting the blood is the holly way to push so far. And you need to.

Successfull to remove, no. But the lowered rate of herms was drastic and below the actual standarts of a bunch of commercial hybrids. That's enough for me to say that if you love this line, you can pressurize it enough to make a decent ratio (on large batchs).

I know DJ Short believed that many of these exotic sativas are always hermie and it breeds true, you cant really remove this trait, unless you cross it ? How true is that ??

I : It's FAR more easy to breed for potency that for intersex trait. If you're good with the first practice, you can dare to explore the intersex madness. If not, choose an easy and stable strain and put yourself a challenge on your own head : the average of each generation must be more potent that the previous one, at any cost. If you complete to the F4 this challenge, let's go, you have learned enough with your hands and your eyes to wash your landrace.

The guy wich do that without have experienced the basis will play Blackjack blind and drunk. The guy wich have suffered on an easy thing will play the Blackjack in counting the cards. At the end only the second guy leave the table with money.

II : Your lifespan is too short to remove the intersex trait from your line. Or Jah have blessed you with extraordinary specimens, and it's the worst that i wish to you. Don't count on it from the start, and try to forget totally my own conclusion on it when you will select your specimens. You will work better like that, without any pity or tolerance. To believe on a potential completion when you do an impossible thing is always a generator of miracles or exploits.

III : The intersex trait is a dominant one. When i mean that, i think about "true dominant". It will eat everything and explode not proportionnally but exponentially. One latent herm in the 9th generation and you're done for years to kill more plants that you ever dreamed in your nightmares. It's why you absolutly need to launch a massive amounts of seeds and to create multiple lines from the same generation. Each time. Not only for that but, this is your only one backup in the intersex work. Don't deal with it considering that it's a common trait like potency, taste, colors ... or you will damn yourself before starting anything.

IV : You appear to have readed enough to understand the naturals equilibrums in games. So consider your landrace in its initial state as naturally stabilized on a mendelian F3 (don't cry pure theoricians, go read your gods instead). And with a "meta-trait" like the intersex one, i don't have to say too much that you will breed recessive for years to maintain the blood clean.

The problem is that you will need to kill desirable specimens, in term of "dank". This is highly lowered with massive germinations but, it remain the worst problem you will encounter. To deal with this paradox the first ten generations. You have to breed in "multilayers" to don't finish with a boring ruderalis lol And it's why it's so complicated to breed with the intersex trait.

I can make an easy analogy with dogs. You can breed them for the standart (the traits) you work with but, you have to take care too in bonus to avoid genetical weakness (displasy etc... and in our case, the herm trait with cannabis). That's exactly the same case (now the pure theoricians are killing themselves right here).

At the moment you never forget that, you're good. You suffer yes, but not for nothing in return.

V : I've readed tons of absolute laws on "how to avoid herms early", i have a specimen in head for each of theses absolute laws. Wich totally destroy them. Vigor, precocity, shape, roots ... well, the more you germinate seeds at a time the more you discover that these gently "all in one rules" are chains that keep you on the ground.

The rules are not human writed. The rules are re-writed at each generation, on the rules of each line, on the rules of each strain.

So each time you cross a male and a female, you re-write three times the rules. Each time. There is no easy way but Jah wich bless your efforts sometimes. You have to read the rules each time, and accept them to best traduct them with the methodology you're used to practice.

Strain A, line 1 (50% herm), IBL3 (40%herm)
Strain A, line 2 (50% herm), IBL3 (20% herm)

If you cross the twos, you will not have an average of both or count on any esoteric predictive manner to see the future. But you can count on it :

- Strain A rules
- line 1 rules rewrited with line 2 rules
- line 1 generation 3 rules, rewrited with, line 2 generation 3 rules
- line 1 generation 3 rules specimen A rules, rewrited with, line 2 generation 3 specimen B rules

This is not a sequence, it's what happend each time in one time in a multilayer level.

It's why that the more and the more often you split your recessive specimens in specialized couples and lines, the more you simplify your work.

I found some seeds that hermied a lot ( 75% ) but I got 2 girls and one male that stayed true and the kids ( so far ) are ( 25% ) hermie. What should I expect if I use a "true" female and a "true" male again ?

If you expect to obtain an epuration in only 1,5 line and 3 generations from scratch, you're simply a dreamer. If you count on your grower skills to avoid them ...

Drop a handfull of seeds in a 50 liters tank filled with soil, let them survive a fews weeks. Then transplant the survivors in the more cutted bottles you can. Think massive and dense to maximize your space.

And if your lady can flower all the time in this type of torture without showing a single banana, then her brothers and sisters do the same in majority ... it's when you can be happy and that you can be sure to don't have used one or twos latent herms as parents.

A lot of growers wich only buy seeds think that they will miss extraordinary specimens in don't take care of each one ... it can be true with ten seeds but not on thousands of homemade seeds. That's simply impossible. The infinite is not ... finished.

You have more chances to select what you want on thousands of vigorous specimens wich survive in hard conditions and that you see in the same times in a very dense condition, that in growing each one in perfect conditions in a very limited slots of specimens.

When you have done your job, you can have fun later on 30 liters pots with your selected pure female:

The more you leave the P1 in term of generations, the less you will use latent herm for pure specimens. So never cross twos females with the same male again.

Even if the offspring is hardly herm on a line, you can count on a dense selection to find somes good recessives in them. It's just more work and dead specimens to find them. More seeds too.

Will using a late male that doesn't stretch like hell or preflowers easily help ? Many believe these traits are tied to the hermie ones ?

Not me.

Sit a second and understand that if you extrapolate with a cold head this view of things ... it mean that we can find herms only in an uniform type of strains. In practice we can find herms in every type of strains. Short, long, stretch, not stretch ... it doesn't matter.

It's like to say me that all humans with blue eyes will suffer later from parkinson. Launch more seeds, grow hardcore with what you have, and prove to yourself for good that you must focus to read what the plants say. Not to imagine what they think.

And with the intersex trait, remember that you don't breed a trait but a "meta-trait" wich will never fix itself the same way everytime with every strain. Learn to see fast when something don't have any sense, in extrapolating the absolute in a infinite condition. Your hands will teach you it fast.

I find the females I smoked are so unique and superior in many ways to many elite clones ( and I pretty much have smoked all of them ), I wouldn't mind breeding some years to remove the hermie trait. I cull(e)d everything that is hermie and I number and clone everything.

If they are unique now, near raw, imagine what they will be with a good selection pressure on.

Cloning everything ... in a multi-lines IBL it's not specially strategic to maximize your limited space and your chances to reach your goal. The herm epuration eat A LOT of seeds, not a lot of clones. Make thousands seeds of each unique couple, then walk forward. It's a long travel. You have all the time after to refine it when the herm trait is mastered.

Don't think one single nano second that you have enough of a life to select the best phenotype of a single line generation. It's a never ending task.

igrowone

Veteran
fuel, a lot of info in your post, sounds rational on the whole
here's my small counterpoint
agree that power seems to come pretty easy
i have a case where i found the right kind of effect in a hermie line
that effect did not come easy in other genetics i've run
so i will take the path less travelled, though the outcome will likely be difficult

idiit

Veteran
seed stock is just a target rich gene pool. even if you get two non hermie parents from a hermie prone line to make seeds the progeny will likely have some plants with hermie issues.

if the seed stock is highly prone to hermies work with clones from non hermie plants.

fritzman at defunct Brazilian seed company managed to do a replication of gypsy's zamal that is remarkedly hermie free. no one else could accomplish this as it was basically impossible to find a single non hermie male.

^ so, it can be done.

l33t

Veteran
Fuel : Thanks, that's a really interesting post to be honest, definitely one of the better ones and I have been around for a while :) Your post does seem a bit more religious than scientific and there is nothing wrong with that, since I will agree with you when there is something you don't understand(science), only faith and instict can guide you(religion).

I do understand your point of views. I am a very open mind individual. I do understand that sex traits are very different to a trait such as trichome coverage or leaf wideness or colour for example but they are still genetic code that can be manipulated. It is more complicated and its dependant on other factors too ( what you call a meta-trait ? ) . Sex hormone traits can also be selected.

Think of it like that. You get 10 kids , 2 turn gay, 5 turn lesbians and 2 "proper" females and 2 "proper" males. The proper males will probably have more testosterone and the kids that the proper males will produce will probably be more "proper" males than gay. Think of it as Vikings vs Thai people for example. Or Blonde people have less testosterone than dark people with more hair. Now how is this tied to the actual sex though is another story, it's a very complicated subject that NOBODY really understands. Just look on the wikipedia article about gays and you will understand that we have absolutely no idea how these mechanisms works. Even with cannabis.

I do believe in large numbers and heavy selection and multiple lines. I know the tricks how to stress plants in small pots and other tricks to see how the stress factor colerates to hermie traits.

But my line is a bit weird. They don't really hermie during stress, the females will stay females even if REALLY stressed, but the plants will turn hermie in early flower without any stress at all , if they don't I can't stress them enough to turn hermie later or I didnt try hard enough ??? Is this how normal landrace hermie lines respond ?? I am not familiar with heavily hermaphroditic landraces....

I can see how the hermaphroditism trait breeds true. Today I am around 35% total hermie plants and I expect at least 5% more to turn hermie. The seeds I grew from came from a female plant and definitely not from a hermie ( outdoor wild grow ). The plants I chose were definitely not hermie and didnt hermie even if stressed a lot. And this generation still has 35% hermaphrodites.

I agree that we see hermie traits on all sorts of plants but dont you agree that they are tied to the stretchy taller plants that want to flower earlier than others ??? I grow big numbers and I dont think this was random... It might be strain specific though.... The shortest and latest to show flowers females will almost be true females ?? They do have skinnier leaves than their stretchy brothers/sisters which means the stretchy ones are not more sativa than the others, they just have more flowering hormones, or thats how I see it. I can definitely see a pattern between the tall stretchy I-want-to-flower now and hermaphroditism.... Do you disagree ??? It's also why we get so many female ( preflowers that later turn hermie ) and not many true males . How come the shortest females that show sex latest are mostly pure females ? Is this coincidence ? I don't agree with hard rules, especially in a subject as complex as genetics, but what about soft rules ? :)

I can push many generations in a year. I mainly grow 12/12 from seed by day 30 I know the sex for all plants. It takes 4 months to complete one generation, thats 3 generations in a year. And multiple lines can be tested at different locations simultaneously.

I believe it might be easier to work to remove the hermie traits purely than trying to remove the hermie trait and keep the potency/special characteristics of some ( female ) phenotypes. If you remove the trait then you can work for potency. The potency trait is not recessive , it's dominant too.

Don't worry about my emotions, this is a scientific question and I expect scientific answers that deal with my question, not with my emotions or my god beliefs . I never thought it would be easy, I might be a dreamer but I don't have any problems killing specimens that don't cut it and trust me I go through a lot of seed.

Unfortunately, I only get around 5-10 good males per 100 plants and this tell me a lot about the hermie strain population. There is a lot of male dominant characteristics missing in those lines and I believe that we need to find this true male that will reestablish the line to mainly male/female again. Many people are caught up with the females but I don't believe the female plays as much role as the male for the, it's like the absence of male"ness" that created this problem in the first place and that's how it should be fixed "back".

I clone everything not only for breeding purposes but because I also find amazing individuals ( fems ) . Also when I test the progeny from each dad, the line that hermies the least will also be backcrossed to this dad and retest.

Anyone agree ? Thanks for your tips.

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
But my line is a bit weird. They don't really hermie during stress, the females will stay females even if REALLY stressed, but the plants will turn hermie in early flower without any stress at all , if they don't I can't stress them enough to turn hermie later or I didnt try hard enough ??? Is this how normal landrace hermie lines respond ?? I am not familiar with heavily hermaphroditic landraces....

this is not weird and is exactly what i have, except for the landrace part
if a female shows intersex, it does so early and the intersex trait is strong
otherwise the females appear to be rock solid with no intersex
i believe this is a common form of intersex, and very much based on genetics
stress intersex is another beast, and not really like this trait

Mystic Funk

I believe it is possible to breed out intersex traits from a given line. I have done this with two lines in the past. what I have found in past experiments is that the male side of a given line is less likely to carry the intersex trait. just like the "purple" trait effects mostly the female side of a line. I have no DNA or genetic testing to back this up. this is just in my personal experience in past experiments..... so what I have done to breed out the intersex is take a nice male from the intersex line and cross it to a line that has no intersex traits that closely matches your male and then grow out the f1's and find a nice female that doesn't have nanners. (if there is any) and backcross it to your male and then grow out the backcross line and look for nanners...ect..ect..ect.. if you see a lot of intersex traits then you'll need to select another male and try again.
it's a lot of trial and error.
like I said before I can't guarantee this will work. but it has worked for me in the past.

I have also noticed that a heavily seeded female is less likely to throw nanners. because most times nanners pop out in mid to late flower and if they are seeded early they have no reason to throw nanners..

hope this helps good luck!!:tiphat:

-mystic

Fuel

Good exchange, good respect. It's shared.

I consider the herm trait as a "meta" yes, because one can breed herms for theyr potency (it's an example) just like we can do with pure specimens. It will not affect the herm rate, and vice versa.

It's why i separate so brutally the twos process, but it's a very personnal manner to see the things too. I consider/treat the hermaphrodism like a "disease/genetical weakness" but it's totally stupid in the case i will breed this plant for its fiber by example. Because in this exact case, the fiber quality is directly linked with what i consider for my blunts like a disease.

The genetic code can be manipulated yes, but i'm personnally unable to do it with my hands and my eyes. So i use methods of pressure described just in up. And i'm not sure that in that point the colloidal silver will help so much. I don't known, it's not truly my ground. I'm specialized with regular only and don't really care about ruderalis (auto) too.

If i extrapolate, i will say that i will choose only the clones wich can't be reversed with CS to increase my chance and my speed. I knowned somes spanish seeders past years wich encountered the problem (to produce fem seeds from a cut wich can't be reversed), it's not so rare but not common. But, one more time it's not my ground and it's just a theorical comment on that point.

I don't share your point of view about the sexuality of humans. Hormones can play yes, but it's a bit more wide and erratic in fact. Some low testosterone man can find high testosterone woman and have fun without having specially an homosexual attraction for high testosterone males. And vice versa, and all variations possible.... It's an example between millions of case. I'm happy to don't have to breed humans to smoke them in fact lol

The sexuality of our plants are not dependant on the partner/affinity and physically determinated (i mean by that that our seedlings are not going out the shell with flowers or bananas) ... and they really don't care about alpha males btw ^^ The cannabis females are builded to be gangbanged and the male to cumshot the world without any segregation.

The "1 liter" stress have a double usage in my case : to optimize the space of selection to an hardcore point of density (and permit to do it in small spaces but in large scales) and to do a stable stress during all the life of the plant. But you have the photoperodism too, to play with. If i don't use it it's because i don't only grow for seeds.

But for your more complicated specimens to decypher you just need to traumatize them with an alternative photoperiodism. 24 hours ON, 24 hours OFF and you will see fast all the latent herms revealed. When i need it to validate a cut, i just use a big paper box with a 30W domestic CFL on. That's the "last test of the death".

35% herm is a pretty good ratio for a raw stock. Jah blessed you ^^

dont you agree that they are tied to the stretchy taller plants that want to flower earlier than others

I absolutly don't agree because i remember somes strains and somes lines that totally destruct this point of view massively. To stay on landrace, i remember a pure Ketama directly imported wich hermed badly but ... not the recessive stretchy specimens wich gived it :

They was sexed in last but i've in mind stable afghani wich hermed on late declared specimens ... trust me you have to accept to don't accept any form of absolute rules wich is very theorically applyed to everything. Or you work will suffer from it, and at a point you will stop to understand what happend in your crop because blindfolded with fake "god laws".

BUT, what you describe can be :
- the strain rule
- the line rule
- the specimen rule
(one or the three in same time)

for the intersex trait, wich express in ease in this exact case. It don't mean that the others specimens are not herm latent by the way, the work is too fresh to determine that. What i exactly mean it's that you need a bunch of generation to determine with objectivity if this link is :

- temporary or not
- truly linked with all latent and active herms
- must be avoided from the entire initial project or just "inbred in the inbred" to be epurated because the presence of good phenos in it (in term of quality of smoke).

It's all about adaptation, the only trap is the absolutism and considering the plants like a recurent algorythm.

So no, i don't disagree with you if you're very prudent on your conclusion and isolate this pattern only in the exact line you're working. Depending on the lines you create, this pattern can radically change within twos generations. I hope you get it, it's just prudency to don't be blindfolded with the hermaphrodism in considering it like another common physicall trait.

What say igrowone is perfectly in this subject. If ever you create a specific line with twos "hard" latent herms with destruct the pattern "stretch, fast sexing" in the offspring but with the same 35% herm ratio ... you will just cry to have been too confident.

We are all used to bless the sacred law "quantity VS quality" in cannabis. For good and bad reasons, but we are more to share it (i'm in) by a true universal experience that to don't share it. Because it can be applyed to every conditions and case. You appear to grow organically, i'm sure you're sensible to it btw.

If you take one big female wich produce a mountain of low potent nugs, it will be not hard to understand that to increase the potency of this exact quality will need sacrifice in the vegetal mass. The more mass you have, the more potency you need to fill it and concentrate it in a portion.

If by breeding pressure you reduce drastically the yield of this strain, you have more chance to get an incredible potency that the reverse. Initially the strain is created to produce decent potency for high yield, it mean killer high for low yield. See the Kush madness lol

But it don't apply to hermaphrodism. No matter you breed for yield, potency or stretch it's not a mechanical trigger but more a representation that you can use at a specific instant.

One more time i remember you to focus on the real deal : you can find herms in every type of strains. It's not for nothing, and it's why i use the term "meta" to share my toughts on it. By prudency, in exposing it like an encapsulation.

Soft rules don't exist, it's just human mistakes like the aborigen wich call the airplane a "magic iron dragon wich pass in the sky to prevent that the wheat harvest will be bad". It's just an airplane, it mean nothing special but the company wich buyed the sky mirador ^^

No offense in it, i just make my best to be sure you will push the experience far more that the twos first generations where everyone let it go with pures sativas.

To believe in Jah don't push me to find a reason behind every little things wich are too superficials to be considered with it. It's complicated to explain in three lines. I can be more metaphysic about the relation i have with my plants and about the things they learn to me, or somes strains that i consider myself as sacred, but it never affect what my hands do. I don't mix the metaphysic and the physic reality. Be sure on it.

Now i understand what you think in exposing your sequence of selection : herm then qualities. By experience i will only give you the same answer each time : multi-lines IBL.

We don't need to debate on the necessity to avoid without pity the active herms.

But the herm trait is so compatible with all triggers possible that you can supress very good equilibrum from the genpool and it's where i come back to the numbers of seeds used and what you are ready to sacrify for it.

Let quote an example to best show what i mean.

One launch 100 seeds. On the 100 Seeds, 20 finalists.

10 can be considered as "hard latent" herms or pure specimens, they must be used to lower the herm rate in the next generations. No debate on it we are ok. They will produce the lines, ABC.

But the 10 remaining are herms but possess very good qualities that the ten others don't possess : taste, potency, yield ... no matter what, they are good to smoke. They will produce the lines DEF.

Trust me you want to reproduce these herms for later selection on DEF lines. Just because you have isolated the very good qualities (you're not responsibble, it's like that sometimes) so increased the chances to have something good AND herm to smoke in offspring. BUT it mean too, that on the 100 DEF seeds you will launch you can find a latent herm wich is desirable like a latent herm of the ABC but with the qualities you selected. And it value the efforts for this 1%. That's the worst scenario, but you can generally get one good couple and continue the pressure on herm trait on this specific line.

In every strain, line, project .... you will always find recessive phenotypes wich are in counter current. It's maybe the only rule you can count on lol

You declare that the potency trait is always dominant, i answer you that the fiber and bark quality is more dominant that potency for cannabis.

It's easy to breed for potency yes, but i don't consider it as automatic. Try to reverse engineer a critical mass / big bud, it's easy only if you have learned your basics and that you're able to draw mendelians ratios mentally in seeing your crop. If not, it can appear impossible for the common grower within twos generations. To the fact to appear darwinian for somes. More than ten years ago, everyone maked seeds and nice personnal strains. Now it's becoming a rare exception, specially with my favorite smoke : hazes and sativas.

I share you opinion on males, and i dare to generalize it to a lot of different projects. Males are the key in my opinion. To say more, the lines i've failed was generally maded in pissing in this opinion for the fun or to experiment something different.

It's too early to backcross, the strain is not enough epurated for that very high pressure. It's more the time to make a million couple and offspring like the moon sect imho lol

Have fun !:tiphat:

l33t

Veteran
Thanks for the further responses !

Storm Shadow : can you talk more about it ?

l33t

Veteran
OK here are some results so far * early flowering *, the true females seem stable..... :

1rst generation : I grew 13 seeds and I got 13 plants two females and one male. Rest hermie. 15% "true" females , 7% true males . x2 female to male ratio.

2nd generation : Out of ~100 seeds from fem1 and fem2 I got 85 plants, 20 are "true" female, more than 11 "true" males . 23% "true" females , 13% "true" males for an x1.533 improvement for the true females and an x1.85 improvement in true males. x1.76 female to male ratio. I guess someone could call that overall improvement over the wild seeds I got. Pattern ? More truer females and males and a more equal female to male ratio.....So using the true male and true females didn't hurt so far ( as far as the intersex trait is concerned ) . I don't keep any of the hermie plants and I cull them immediately.

I don't really have a plan but after reading some posts from Neville and others I have something in mind but also have back up plans in case my selection doesn't go as planned....

Have fun,
l33t :huggg:

picture.php

2:1 7.2K MH/HPS
Pink pistils.... :peacock:

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
some fine concrete numbers
most detail i've seen for intersex growing results
at least on the cannabis growing sites i've searched

Mystic Funk

I didn't catch what strain yours is?? but I love to see when a plant has that staggered fringed leaf!

I think people call that alligator tails??

I see that in a lot of sams skunk.

post up some more pics. those are some nice looking plants. I can see why you want to breed out the intersex.

Mystic Funk

Alligator tails?

sorry this is not the best pic. if you look at the leaf on the left you can see that the leaf fringe is split that's what I think they call alligator tail. the one on the right is symmetrical (normal leaf)

on left (skunk)...right (thai)