What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd Build-DIY COB with Vero 29's x 6

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
I hear ya a break is good... other wise you can get burt out as long as you have that stash. Look forward to your results...

Some pics of my last HPS grow in my 5x5. Late summer, will start new LED grow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Peace, Roast.

Attachments

• 20160411_181748.jpg
    20160411_181748.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160411_181757.jpg
    20160411_181757.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160411_181855.jpg
    20160411_181855.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160411_182718.jpg
    20160411_182718.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks db!

I use canna coco a+b. I tried terpenator this run but idk if it made a diff. Enzyme and Rhizotonic were also used. pH at 6.

Peace, Roast.

I like terpinator but had too use it at its highest dose to notice its effect. I prefer Bud Factor X. A lil pricey but the application rate is 2ml per liter. And I see more noticeable results.

Ya man i like the idea of less per liter. I been using about 1/2 to 3/4 dosage so idk if it helped. Gonna take a while to know for sure if it helped. I think next run I'll try that BFX. Thanks for the advice.

Peace, Roast.

For a 4x4 veg/mother tent would you think 3 is enough? Im debating between a COB LED build or 315w CMH. Within the COB options i'm debating between 3 vero29 or 4xcxb3070, vero is about 240w and cree is 200w. Cree has better spread with 4 emitters vs 3, but i'm looking at about $100 more and less total light. Looks like the HLG-320H-C2100A would be perfect for 4 vero 29 emitters, it costs 50% more than the HLG-240H-C2100A (111 vs 72) but i can't find any other drivers like maybe one that can run two emitters (~75v and 160w).

For a 4x4 veg/mother tent would you think 3 is enough? Im debating between a COB LED build or 315w CMH. Within the COB options i'm debating between 3 vero29 or 4xcxb3070, vero is about 240w and cree is 200w. Cree has better spread with 4 emitters vs 3, but i'm looking at about $100 more and less total light. Looks like the HLG-320H-C2100A would be perfect for 4 vero 29 emitters, it costs 50% more than the HLG-240H-C2100A (111 vs 72) but i can't find any other drivers like maybe one that can run two emitters (~75v and 160w).

I would say for a 4×4 you'd need 6 to 8 cobs for your setup. 6 vero 29's will give you about 30 watts per square foot. 2 of the hlg-240's for 6, or 2 of the 320's for 8 cobs(expensive).
If money is no object, get 8 cree cxb3590's and two hlg-240h-c1750b and you'll have more efficiency.

I would say for a 4×4 you'd need 6 to 8 cobs for your setup. 6 vero 29's will give you about 30 watts per square foot. 2 of the hlg-240's for 6, or 2 of the 320's for 8 cobs(expensive).
If money is no object, get 8 cree cxb3590's and two hlg-240h-c1750b and you'll have more efficiency.

Hmm you're using 6 vero29 for a 5x5 tent which is 56% larger than my 4x4 and i'm not flowering, only vegging donor plants and small cuttings, so shouldn't 320w of LED light be enough if 480w is enough for your 5x5? Also the 315w CMH does perfect in a 4x4 so why would you think the LED can't hang? Money is an object because i know the CMH will handle it 100% with good but not stellar efficiency...so thats my reference point, around $300 is my budget.

Im just trying to understand...but now i see that you're shooting for over 600w of LED because you're using your other fixture.

Thing is, i have friends doing very well in veg with just 2 - 120w MARS Hydro panels in a 5x10 tent...remember this is just for basic maintenance veg, not a "veg room" to rapidly grow small plants to fill in a flower room. I grow in large living soil containers so i got straight from rooted clipping to the large containers, no extra transplants or veg. I have been pretty successful in a smaller veg tent 2x2 with only a 25w led shoplight when the 4x4 was my flower tent.

Last edited:
Hmm you're using 6 vero29 for a 5x5 tent which is 56% larger than my 4x4 and i'm not flowering, only vegging donor plants and small cuttings, so shouldn't 320w of LED light be enough if 480w is enough for your 5x5? Also the 315w CMH does perfect in a 4x4 so why would you think the LED can't hang? Money is an object because i know the CMH will handle it 100% with good but not stellar efficiency...so thats my reference point, around $300 is my budget.

Im just trying to understand...but now i see that you're shooting for over 600w of LED because you're using your other fixture.

Thing is, i have friends doing very well in veg with just 2 - 120w MARS Hydro panels in a 5x10 tent...remember this is just for basic maintenance veg, not a "veg room" to rapidly grow small plants to fill in a flower room. I grow in large living soil containers so i got straight from rooted clipping to the large containers, no extra transplants or veg.

Ok sorry for misunderstanding. One of these 3 cob fixtures is enough for just vegging. i will use 10 cobs in my 5x5 for flower and i fear it won't be enough. Vegging needs are much less. You can go higher in the kelvin for veg and gain a little efficiency and more blue in the spectrum. In June, more efficient vero's are supposed to hit the market. Idk if you can use Cree's and keep it under 300 dollas. Maybe 4 cxb3070's for $29 each at pacific light concepts. But they're backordered for at least 4 weeks.

Ok sorry for misunderstanding. One of these 3 cob fixtures is enough for just vegging. i will use 10 cobs in my 5x5 for flower and i fear it won't be enough. Vegging needs are much less. You can go higher in the kelvin for veg and gain a little efficiency and more blue in the spectrum. In June, more efficient vero's are supposed to hit the market. Idk if you can use Cree's and keep it under 300 dollas. Maybe 4 cxb3070's for $29 each at pacific light concepts. But they're backordered for at least 4 weeks.

No need to be sorry brotha, i appreciate your help and input. I was thinking about going higher color but transposing my experience with HID i've always preferred HPS for veg so i dont want anything too blue. what color temp would you recommend that doesn't look too cool? I have a temporary hps i can use so i could wait a few weeks for PLC, but that would still leave me with less light output than the 4x vero29 and cost about the same. I know everyone in the LED realm is concerned with utter efficiency but we're talking about 300w here, if i save 40-50w its not crucial compared to having everything work right. i already run 4 1k and 2 315w in my flower room so its not exactly about efficiency right now. i just want to try the COBS!!! :)

I use the 3500k and they are vegging my garden starts nicely. My first build was 3000k. Vegging plants like more blue so i thought. These lower kelvin are working just fine for me. Running at 70% of max right now. Staying nice and cool.

First run on new LEDs

First run on new LEDs

Fuck waiting till fall. I got an itch to test out these COBs.

First run will be Mephisto auto flowers.
2× sour crack
2× auto blues
2× s.o.d.k.

Beans put in coco today. Canna coco nutes 1/4 strength, and rizotonic is all they get to start.

Questions, comments?

growmau5

this is a great little build you got here. I am totally going to steal that driver "side car" idea. I've never thought of that before.
Cheers

this is a great little build you got here. I am totally going to steal that driver "side car" idea. I've never thought of that before.
Cheers

Thank you and glad you could stop by Growmau5! Ironically i just watched a few of your YT vids today for the first time. You do a top notch job on those and i thank you for that. Your kit is BADASS for someone looking for that easy kit setup. As for "stealing" the side car, you can't steal what is freely given.
I will be watching for more of your great work.

jikko77

Cheers

doh! that nick...a youtube superstar?! :) welcome and thanks :) (for the tube video!)

thanks man, lol. i am going to start using this quote now. Ill be sure to credit you on both accounts. cheers man, and keep up the work you are doing over here as well.

Somehow I missed this. I just try and contribute any way i can. Thanks for all you do as well. Credit is not a concern as I'm trying to minimize my ego.:tiphat: