What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Closed loop explosion, with video

deadkndys

Thanks for posting.
I wonder if this is the one the instructor on the class im taking was talking about. I haven't seen the vid but he said 2 people got burned. One with 30% burns. And one with over 80%,sadly he died later. The one with 30% survived.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
There must have been a leak. On the video dude has one hand on the butane bottle and in the other hand is a heat gun. All the money spent on the CLS and they resort to a heat gun to do the purge?

I would like to know what the basis was for the $13,000 fine OSHA imposed. I know they don't have guidelines for making BHO. Probably some generic code of workplace safety when working with flammable materials. Be safe when working with flammables. There is lots of options when it comes to flame resistant clothing. The clothes look just like regular street clothes except they are flame retardant. You can tell these clothes apart because they have orange FR tags sewn on the outer clothes area.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
aren't they supposed to be purging in an artificial environment with negative pressure and brushless motors so this simply doesn't happen?

EastCoast710

shouldn't of been using a fucking HEAT GUN to begin with. ? what kind of SLACKER DISPENSARY or PRODUCTION COMPANY IS DOING WHAT KIDS DO IN THEIR MOMS BASEMENT?

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
I always pictured butane explosions to be much more violent in my head. That doesn't look much worse than a grease fire.

A little digging and you can find the news articles and they state they cant pinpoint cause of ignition, however the guy was using a heat gun and everyone assumes that is what caused it.

BigJohnny

The point of ignition seems to be the tray in front of the guy.

Does that guy have a fucking pool of liquid butane that he's heating with a heatgun? indoors? Like seriously, how stupid.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

"A report from the Santa Fe Fire Department said a butane leak from one of the lines met with an ignition source to cause the blast, which was powerful enough to separate the roof from the wall and melt fluorescent lights close to the explosion. Fire inspectors couldn't pinpoint what caused the ignition, but noted that the extraction equipment is moved often and could have caused a leak in one of the butane lines."

Lyfespan

"A report from the Santa Fe Fire Department said a butane leak from one of the lines met with an ignition source to cause the blast, which was powerful enough to separate the roof from the wall and melt fluorescent lights close to the explosion. Fire inspectors couldn't pinpoint what caused the ignition, but noted that the extraction equipment is moved often and could have caused a leak in one of the butane lines."

does anyone else see the door hit the table?

Lyfespan

sad, he got blasted in the face so bad, he ends up right by the door but cant see to get out, he just stands there burning to death.

this is such a level of suffering i fear more than anything in the world

montroller

kinda unnerving to watch your greatest fear happen to someone... I actually left work early when I stumbled on the /r/wtf post earlier. Too many bad vibes.

But seriously what was he doing?!? Purging with a heat gun right next to the machine and doing it all where a door can just knock over the whole system. They were asking for an accident, but it really is horrifying to watch.

deadkndys

So its safe to say you should be wearing a fire resistant coveralls and a havig a fire extinguisher near by.At least then he would of had a chance of surviving.

blastfrompast

Veteran
the heat gun had to be the ignition source, i thought mebbe the door bumped something but it flashes just as the door opens but before it hits the column...