What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Triploid seedling?

Tynehead Tom

so I picked up some seeds just recently , beanhoarder sweet tooth3 F2. One of the seedlings is a freak and has come up with 3 seed pod leaves instead of the usual 2.

is this a triploid? and if so, what can anyone tell me about such plants. I've only seen this once before, and come to think about it, the plant was also a sweet tooth seedling, but from the original sweet tooth release back in the late 90's

I'm trying to get some decent pics. the first set of leaves are just starting to form in the center of the sprout and I can definitely see, with a magnifying glass, 3 new leaves forming.

comments? thoughts? some please educate me LOL

Tynehead Tom

ya, I'm trying to get my camera to focus on it.... pics are coming, I'll also be keeping weekly updates on it in my journal

Probably nothing to call home about. Mutations are fairly common within blueberry or other inbred lines I think. Hopefully it turns into a nice plant for you

Here's a plant I had recently
picture.php

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Triploid... No.
That term is related to genetic recombos and those plants are more rare than rainbow unicorn poop.

The correct term is whirled (whorled) phalotaxy. Whirled phalotaxy is actually fairly common in cannabis.
Photo above is a perfect example.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
This Auto Lemon Skunk has three of the little round leaves but the larger serrated leaves all came in normally.

Attachments

• Lemon Skunk with triple cotyledon six days after planting.jpg
    Lemon Skunk with triple cotyledon six days after planting.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Lemon Skunk with three cotyledons is lucky like a four leaf clover.jpg
    Lemon Skunk with three cotyledons is lucky like a four leaf clover.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 20

WelderDan

Veteran
MJ Passion is correct. That is called Whorled Phyllotaxy. It is sometimes called a trifoliate, which I think some some folks mix up with triploid.

I've never had a female with whorled phyllotaxy, they have all been males and they all grew out of it. Females do occur, and I've seen some that didn't grow out of it and retained the trait through flowering. But they don't yield any better than a regular plant. Interesting, but nothing special.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Here’s a small whorled girl I flowered out. Three bud sites at each node. A lot of times they revert back to normal structure and most of the ones I’ve grown turned out to be males.

Attachments

• 109.3 KB · Views: 41

St. Phatty

Triploid... No.
That term is related to genetic recombos and those plants are more rare than rainbow unicorn poop.

The correct term is whirled (whorled) phalotaxy. Whirled phalotaxy is actually fairly common in cannabis.
Photo above is a perfect example.

Are the genetic re-combo's ever associated with lab tests done using colchicine ?

I remember reading about triploidy/ triploidal, in an old Ed Rosenthal grow book.

As far as seeing it in practice, TH Seeds' Sage & Sour displayed it. I got a Fem seed of S&S and grew it, and noticed the 3 way branching.

It was also really good, a forest of trichomes when you looked, like a miniature forest in some ganja-friendly Dr. Seuss "Horton hears a Who" type world. Jeez I'm still hallucinating :woohoo:

Would definitely like to get the terminology sorted out.

I observed the 3 way branching structure in a coffee plant too.

If you're growing a plant whose fruits are branch-based, and the amount of branching increases 50% at each node - it offers some hope of an increase in output.

I didn't see any more weight on the three branch geometry cannabis plant I had, though.

Tynehead Tom

ya, I wasn't really hoping it was some 'special plant' , just posting it to get some feedback.
I'll grow it out and see what happens.
now, it it's a male, would one cull it or any other issues breeding it? I suppose it could up the chances of producing more freaks, which would not be the goal LOL

Tynehead Tom

here's a fresh pic (march 21) of the freak, it's actually growing quite vigourously the past few days ;)
Beanhoarder Sweet Tooth 3 F2

chronosync

Well-stoned member
That's kind of cool, the symmetry it has. It's doing hexagonal geometry. That's how you start metatrons cube.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are the genetic re-combo's ever associated with lab tests done using colchicine ?

I think I remember Sam Skunkman speaking on this & I believe the answer is yes.

Triploidy (3n) is achieved by creating an tetraploid (4n) specimen, via colchacine, then breeding it to a dipliod (2n) specimen.

Also, as far as terminology goes,
Ploidy is covered.

'folate... has to do with the number of leaflets coming from the petiol or leaf stem.

A shamrock would be a good example of a "trifolate" plant.

Cannabis can exhibit any number from trifolate OG types to multi-folate sativas throwing up to 13 leaflets per petiol.

HTH

Tynehead Tom

My freak sweet tooth3 f2 is doing well and smells wonderful. I hope it's a female. It's maintaining it's new growth at the top in 3's but side branch tops are normal.
regardless of being a positive or negative find when throwing seeds down, I think it's cool and a neat plant to grow out ;)
maybe i'll snap a pic later to show progress. today is day 21 or 22 from seed.