What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
The Plaza in Vancouver doubling down on the propaganda showing both 'Marihuana' and 'Assassin of Youth'. Signs on theater read 'Marijuana (Weed with Roots in Hell)', 'Reefer' & 'Assassin of Youth'. Vancouver, Canada July 22, 1938

110501.jpg

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I just found this poster stored up in the back of my closet..

I swiped it off a wall around 1970.. It's 16 x 20 inches..on very heavy paper...

think I'll get it framed and hang it up just for laughs!:biggrin:

Attachments

• U.S. Customs  16x20.jpg
    U.S. Customs 16x20.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 44

billycw

Veteran
I just found this poster stored up in the back of my closet..

I swiped it off a wall around 1970.. It's 16 x 20 inches..on very heavy paper...

think I'll get it framed and hang it up just for laughs!:biggrin:

Hell of a grab, had to be a coastal find! I would absolutely frame it up, this one rarely comes up for auction! Thanks for sharing:tiphat:

billycw

Veteran
detay6b.jpg

Meddah story teller, Turkish coffee house pre1900

Mr. Burroughs in Morocco

He smokes hashish, has visions, and sets out to the English chemist in quest of an antidote.

Mr. Burroughs's peregrinations recently brought him to the city of Tangier, in Morocco. While doing the sights of Tangier he dropped into a Moorish cafe, where he regaled himself with coffee (his Jewish guide taking a glass of green tea with peppermint-leaves) and hashish. The hashish was prepared for smoking on the spot. A boy cuts up a few leaves of the Indian hemp along with some tobacco-leaves into a greenish chaff, and the mixture is smoked out of a long wooden pipe with small bowl, which goes the round of the company. Mr. Burroughs took a few whiffs of the hashish-pipe, and appears to have been instantly carried off into the seventh heaven of imaginary delight. Everything grew bright around him. The seasick-complexioned smokers, the string band playing their varied instruments with a piece of bone or tortoiseshell, became objects of joy and pleasure.

"The music, or the hashish, or both," says Mr. Burroughs, "make you feel so light that you could run up the jagged sides of the pyramids (the stone steps of which are 4 or 5 feet thick) without the sinewy Bedouins tugging at your hands or pushing you behind. From the secure but dizzy height you seem to see the Nile flowing among the green fields, and the white and yellow palaces of beautiful Cairo rise out of the gardens of palms, magnolias, and sweet blossoming acacias. You are transported, like Aladdin, to the moonlit Alhambra, and hear the music of its fountains and streams, or down the Red Sea and beyond the pinnacles of Sinai to gaze at distant Mecca, and then you are floated as by an invisible balloon over the snowy peaks of the Himalayas, to the evergreen foot-hills where sacred streams burst from beneath marble temples and flow by the heathen shrines. But the marble dreams of the sons of the Prophet, the most exquisite harmonies of glistening domes and cupolas perched on lofty towers, render insignificant the cone shaped structures of Further India, of which the builders (without faith either in their idols or in their architecture) seem afraid that they will fall down of their own weight.

"And the next morning," continues the traveler, "you try to collect your thoughts, and find there are none to collect. The best thing under the circumstances is to try something as an antidote to the combination of hashish, tobacco, coffee, peppermint and green tea, so you inquire if there is any English chemist in Tangier where you can get something cooling. 'Certainly,' says the proprietor of the Continental Hotel. 'From my door you go to the big offalheap on the corner, and turn to the right through a winding alley till you come to a dead donkey, then to the left under a dark archway. Turning up the legs of your trousers you wade through the muck, and when again in the light of day you reach a place where there are four rats and a cat dead on the scene of the conflict of three weeks ago. A little further on, where there is a cesspool and a well, you hold your nose and jump over the rubbish where a building has fallen and the pavement has been appropriated to repair it. A little further on you come to a Seven Dials sort of place into which the sun penetrates, and at the right of this place (called Wad Ahardan) is the house of Mr. Murillo, the English chemist." 'Quite so,' you say, and set out on your journey. The permanent landmarks are all passed after narrowly escaping several falls, and one or two sprained ankles. There is another shop in front of the pharmacy, which is reached through a passage at the side.

"The pharmacy occupies four sides of an inner courtyard roofed in with glass. The upper portions of the building are surrounded by an open verandah overlooking all parts of the pharmacy.

"All four sides are crowded with bottles, and packages, and drawers of hashish, peppermint, and tea. There is a large assortment of Bishop's effervescent salts of magnesia, antipyrin or bicarbonate of potash, Eno's or Lamplough's salines, and a general stock of drugs such as you would expect to find in any English pharmacy. The Sultan has heard of the fame of 'Sequab,' and got a dozen of the oil from Mr. Murillo. This is a departure from the usual rule of fastings, and prayers, and incantations, amulets, and charms against the evil eye, which, in the view of the Moors, is the cause of most diseases. They have a number of herbs from which they make decoctions of teas. Chief among these for usefulness is the Origanum compaction for diarrhea, dysentery, and the thyme. Hot infusions are drunk ad lib, or as much as the patient can hold.

"they are also great believers in the virtues of sarsaparilla, which with them appears to act as a tonic. They are quickly acted upon by European drugs, the curative influence of the mercurials and fodides being very prompt, so I am informed by Dr. Churcher at the Medical Mission.

"Dr. Churcher tells me that the effect of hashish is not as bad as that of opium. Taking it is, however, a slavish habit, exciting the imagination, seeming to make a second self which from the outside contemplates the original, and watches its thoughts and movements. The drug is also made into a confection, the consumption of which causes bursts of laughter on occasions when levity is not specially called for. We have all known somebody who must have stolen a pot of this hashish jam in his youth and consumed it all at one sitting, thus ensuring a lasting effect."

- 'Mr Burroughs in Morocco' from the magazine Chemist & Druggist in 1892

Mr_Burroughs_in_Morocco_Chemist_Druggist_1892_Wellcome_L00342.jpg

geneva_sativa

I touched up this earlier story a bit transferring it to blog, thought I would just repost it.

Happy Easter everyone!

"So high, the highest Hemp"

-'Big Hemp' Slavic Easter song

View Image
Family around the swing, 1890's

Easter in Full Swing

Across the world families wake Easter morning to hunt for eggs with a huge meal to follow, sliding smoothly into that nice food coma. Moving outside into the yard to enjoy the nice spring weather, many families unknowingly include one of humanities ancient Hemp traditions...

The swing...

View Image
Family around swing, early 1900's

To discover the origins of a holiday still celebrated throughout the world today, we need to look at its ancient 'roots'.

Dating back to at least the Pagan festival of 'Eastra', celebrating the goddess of spring and coinciding with the spring equinox, the holiday was a ancient festival celebrating the end of hemp sowing season.

This ancient Easter party would last 4 days, much like it still does in Slavic villages throughout Europe.

On the morning of the first day of the festival a ancient tradition would take place, the shooing of the birds...

View Image
'A farmer sows his seed while his dog chases birds which are eating from the bag of seed', Drawing dating from 1100

Armed with brooms, shovels or other imposing objects, villagers would run around their farms with a hoot and a holler scaring away all the birds from the fields and house. Many believe the birds symbolized evil and illness, thus must go in a spring cleaning but this act most likely stemmed from a sowing necessity.

With a freshly seeded hemp field to protect, farmers would need to keep away hungry birds ensuring a successful sow. With necessity a tradition is born!

With the birds chased from the fields, it was time to make these seeds grow.

View Image
a Cyanotype photograph of a family around a large swing, dating from 1895-1900

Choosing a spot high on a hill, construction would begin on a giant structure, a swing. The swings were constructed with one purpose in mind, to make the hemp grow...

Legend has it, the higher you swing, the higher your hemp will grow...

With the fate of their hemp on the line, farmers would vie for the largest swings on the highest hills in hopes to be the farmer with the highest hemp in the land.

During the four day celebration, this swing would be the center of the festival, a place to sing, dance and of course swing!

View Image
Swinging on Lieldienas (Easter) at festival in Latvia

With the party in full 'swing' special folk songs called 'sūpuoklinė', which imitate the actual swinging in its layering, are sung by the dancing onlookers while villagers swing for the sky.

Many of these songs still hint at their ancient roots...

'Jurgelaici'

Jurgi Jurgi, Jurgelaici

Jurgi Jurgi, Jurgelait

To whom do you curl up?

To whom do you cross the curtain?

I'm curled with a curl

I'll give you a seat

I will give myself a chair

I will plant a girlfriend

I will plant a girlfriend

- liaudies sūpuoklinė daina (Lithuanian swinging Easter folk song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizQFGeKMl4
[YOUTUBE]aizQFGeKMl4[/YOUTUBE]

Awesome stuff, Billy :biggrin:

Love the picture of the guy sowing hemp seed and the bird and dog. . . notice the unusual way the bird takes flight after having eaten the seeds. . . the guy is taking note. . . also couldnt help but notice the amazing technique the farmer is using there !

billycw

Veteran
"There will be no festival. I can assure you of that,"

-State Sen. John Pickett of Middletown

1_6td_Bp_H3_Egb_H5_V_KAElj_Re_A.jpg

Crowds at Powder Ridge Rock Festival July 31, 1970

Party At Powder Ridge

The Festival that never was would quickly turn into the drug scene that definitely was...

If You Build It and Cancel, They Will Still Come!

powder-ridge-festival.jpg

Powder Ridge Music Festival event poster 1970

Billed as the Powder Ridge Rock Festival, $20 bucks would get you into a woodstock like event on the slopes of Connecticut. Bands such as Fleetwood Mac, Joe Cocker, Richie Havens, Jethro Tull, Van Morrison and even Janis Joplin were all scheduled to perform at the weekend festival.

Days before the festival was scheduled to begin, the town of Middlefield filled an injunction with the courts worried about the impact of such a large event on a small city such as theirs, officially canceling the Festival.

Although the police and media urged crowds to 'Stay Away', they still came.

warning1.jpg

Signs posted on the highway to Middlefield, Connecticut. 1970

The police decided to head off the concert crowds by posting signs on every highway leading to Middlefield, "P. Ridge Fest. Prohibited Court Injunction".

The signs did little to stop the swarm of ticket holders and gawkers alike.

An estimated 30,000 people showed up to camp on the slopes despite the festivals cancellation and media urging to stay away.

No food, no bathrooms or even lack of any form of entertainment would await the swarms of campers. Local food vendors from ice cream trucks to hot dog carts would cash in along with the many 'community' funded eateries that popped up in the camps.

204338056-_Powder_Ridge_Rock_Festival_drug_bucket_and_topless_hip.jpg

Grubbing at the 'community' eatery that popped up in the crowd, Powder Ridge Festival 1970

Along with a handful of local bands, only one performer who was originally booked would defy the court order to brave the crowds to play. Folk singer Melanie decided to leave the national press conference in town to see what was happening up the mountain.

"...everybody warned me not to go, it would be dangerous. Any performer who ventured to this site would be arrested. There was a press conference held at the ski lodge with the organizers, officials and several performers.

At the press conference I didn't say very much. It seemed so ridiculous...
All these people were there to hear music and have the time of their lives!

I too wanted to have the time of my life ~

I slipped out of the room at the press conference and hitched a ride, pretended I was a 1010 WINS newscaster squished between the other press and threw my guitar in the trunk !"

- Folk Singer Melanie

Hooking into the PA of a Ice Cream truck, she would play an impromptu show for the grateful crowds.

hipiiiiieeesaaar_75402931.jpg

Melanie performing for the crowds at the Powder Ridge 'Rock Festival' 1970

billycw

Veteran
Party At Powder Ridge Continued, part 2 of 3...

PR814c.jpg

Hitting the waterpipe at Powder Ridge Festival 1970

But it was the festivals open drug markets and drug fueled crowds that would make the lasting impression that weekend in 1970.

The Police would pull their men from the venue grounds concentrating on locking down and protecting the nearby town of Middlefield.

An announcement from the main stage as thousands of ticket holders arrived signaled the start to the party!

"Power to the people. The pigs have run away in their Cadillacs. This is a people's festival now."

636217153-_Powder_Ridge_Rock_Festival_acid_dealers.jpg

Guys selling lsd, 2 way acid(?) and mescalin at Powder Ridge Festival 1970

In the absence of police "At least 70" dealers set up shop selling everything from cannabis to lsd.

Hash, marijuana, lsd and even mescalin were all sold right in the open. Many even using sign's to sway the curious crowds business.

1261208301.jpg

One stop shop, Powder Ridge Festimal 1970

With authorities concentrating on the roadways and in town, very little if any Police presence was at the actual camp grounds. Drugs could be vended openly without risk to a crowd hungry for a good time.

Powder_Ridge_Middlefield_CT_USA_August_1_19701.jpg

'Emerald City' camp selling "Real South Mexican Gold" for $10 at the Powder Ridge Festival 1970

Powder_Ridge_Middlefield_CT_USA_August_1_1970_1.jpg

Guy selling 'Mexico Grass' at the Powder Ridge Festival 1970

billycw

Veteran
Party At Powder Ridge Continued, part 3 of 3...

900x9001.jpg

Selling LSD at Powder Ridge Festival 1970

In the open drug markets of camp, hits of acid could be found at roadside convenience openly advertised for as little as a $1!

But it was the "Electric Water" containers around camps that really sent people down the rabbit hole.

Free for everyone to consume, it was encouraged for people to make a 'donation' of drugs into the liquid brew making an unknown cocktail of drugs at an unknown dose.

According to volunteer doctors helping at the festival, this 'electric water' accounted for the majority of 'bad trips' reported during the festival weekend.

1_bgo6_SKH2r_Vcs_A2a_TX4_Y08g1.jpg

Selling lsd at the Powder Ridge Festival 1970

With no authorities running the festival, the gathered crowds were forced to feed each other, cleaned up trash and police themselves all with no major incidents...

powder_ridge_Looking-the-other-way_Powder_Ridge_Middlefield_CT.jpg

Voyeur cops, 'looking the other way' during the Powder Ridge Festival 1970

Faced with an overwhelming number of festival fans flooding the small town slopes, all local forces could do is watch and laugh it off with the intoxicated crowd.

Archive-_Images-24826965-7287464.jpg

Police talking with festival crowds on the main road, Powder Ridge Festival 1970

In his book Plenty of Sex and Drugs, But No Rock ´n´ Roll, author William Manchester tells of a story from the Powder Ridge Festival that weekend in 1970...

"One of the more sensational scenes, attested to by several witnesses, occurred in a small wood near some homes. A boy and a girl, both naked and approaching from different directions, met under the trees. On impulse they suddenly embraced. She dropped to her knees, he mounted her from behind, and after he had achieved his climax they parted—apparently without exchanging a word."

The story would serve as the metaphor for the canceled Festival weekend...

Beautifully fucked, fading into oblivion as only a passing memory.

900x9003.jpg

Slopes at Powder Ridge, Connecticut

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
holy cow billy! what a score .. i was nine years old and grew up not too far from here .. i remember this ...you just knocked some brain cells

billycw

Veteran
Looks like the website I use to host photo's crashed, again... I'll have to go back through and reupload every picture when I get time. I've already done the last 3 pages:yoinks:

holy cow billy! what a score .. i was nine years old and grew up not too far from here .. i remember this ...you just knocked some brain cells

Couple more years and you could have been partying along:biggrin:

I want a shot of that 'Electric water'. Lol.

With all the uppers, downers and sideway's floating around the scene, couldn't imagine the carpet ride:biggrin:

billycw

Veteran
'La Grande Odalisque' by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, 1814

1024px-_Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres_La_Grande_Odalisque_1814.jpg

Ottoman hashish Pipe and incense box closeup
Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres_La_Grande_Odalisque_1814_1.jpg

billycw

Veteran
'llo Billy

I guess this one would even be more fit for this thread, this is the same guy:

Posted somewhere back there although its all blank atm, actually its 2 of 4 'self portraits' Camille took by himself in his studio in the same day in 1843. He left the pipe out of the other two. Thanks for sharing Pepe:tiphat:

Camille Dolard Self-portrait/selfie Daguerreotype in Lyon, France 1843

Camille_Dolard_Autoportrait_en_fumeur_de_narguil.jpg

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^it looks like they are running with rifles at their sides?? don't mess with the soviet police!

hey billy U ever smoke thai stick? here's a shipment confiscated by the bangkok police circa 1974...check out the fellow on the right.. he has a sample

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
hey billy U ever smoke thai stick? here's a shipment confiscated by the bangkok police circa 1974...check out the fellow on the right.. he has a sample

Never have myself. Had a buddy call me mid 90's all jacked he scored some thai sticks. Instantly hung up the phone and jumped in my car to headed over and sample the find. Got to my buddies and sat down to smoke and he throws out a bag of these marker sized sticks each about 4 inches long. Looked weird to me so I took one out and snapped it in half. It was a cinnamon stick rolled with layers of shake stuck to it... Never laughed so hard:laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts