What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Effects of burning/vaping

Yellowmoon

I dig vapour more than inhaling burning matter into my lungs. Always concerned about health. Unfortunately, the psychoactive effect when using vapes is different to that from blunts/bongs/etc. Noticeably, body effect diminishes. You're likely to get clearer, into the center of your brains effect. This is not something you always want, indica strains suffer.

Is this bothering anyone else? ;)

Last edited:
You get a more full spectrum effect by smoking, combusting the psychoactive substances. This is why I dont vape. Contrary to the general populus' assumptions, there is no negative long term health problems associated with smoking cannabis. Not even a 20 year 5000 person study found any negative effects on pulmonary function. Smoke on.

B

Baron Greenback

I think that if you are accustomed to smoking then it takes a while to re-tune your brain to a vaporiser. It's definitely a different high, not necessarily better - enjoy both :)

Yellowmoon

I may believe it's not been scientifically proven that smoking cannabis affects your pulmonary functions or increases the possibility of cancer... but in such matters you want to have certainty that even studies can't bring. Short term effects, don't want any either. At one point in history I used to find breathing painful.

But yeah. \w/ I want the full spectrum but at the same time I prefer the uplifting effect of it all, so vapes have their place depending on... well, countless factors. ;)

lawlrus

You get a more full spectrum effect by smoking, combusting the psychoactive substances. This is why I dont vape. Contrary to the general populus' assumptions, there is no negative long term health problems associated with smoking cannabis. Not even a 20 year 5000 person study found any negative effects on pulmonary function. Smoke on.

At the end of the day any smoke you inhale as a result of combustion (so literally any smoke at all) is carcinogenic. There are arguments to be made regarding the ability of cannabis to mitigate these effects or even have anti-cancerous properties, but you're going to find nothing definitive stating that this is always, unequivocally the case in every scenario. The bottom line is that you are at risk for lung cancer (and other cancers) if you inhale smoke of any sort. Keep that in mind and weigh the risks with the benefits.

matt11

I dig vapour more than inhaling burning matter into my lungs. Always concerned about health. Unfortunately, the psychoactive effect when using vapes is different to that from blunts/bongs/etc. Noticeably, body effect diminishes. You're likely to get clearer, into the center of your brains effect. This is not something you always want, indica strains suffer.

Is this bothering anyone else? ;)

bothers me big time, and is why I rarely use my vape (arizer solo). Im concerned about my health as well with combustion, but to me its jut a waste of perfectly good weed putting it in a vape.
I MUCH rather get out my bong and take some nice rips and get faded. I'm a veteran smoker and vaping my bud just doesn't do it for me.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I don't know anything about modern vaporizers, but with Spring just around the corner, it's time for me to get out my old steam pipe...

I guess you'd call it an old school vaporizer.. My rasta friend made it for me , in the back hills of Jamaica, back it 1981...

It's pretty much an "outdoor use only" pipe, since I have to put coals, which I make from coconut shells, in the tin pan that sits on the top of the bowl...

I've had to replace the bowl and the coal pan a few times, but the main body of the pipe has still not cracked or leaked in almost 35 years!..:biggrin:

It's fun to use, sitting around the campfire pit in my back yard, and never fails as a conversation starter with friends who have never seen or used one...

It is a "true vaporizer", and the principle behind how it works comes from the area in or around India, from many hundreds, or maybe even a thousand years ago.

Attachments

• steam pipexx.jpg
    steam pipexx.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 26

matt11

I don't know anything about modern vaporizers, but with Spring just around the corner, it's time for me to get out my old steam pipe...

I guess you'd call it an old school vaporizer.. My rasta friend made it for me , in the back hills of Jamaica, back it 1981...

It's pretty much an "outdoor use only" pipe, since I have to put coals I make from coconut shells, in the tin pan that sits on the top of the bowl...

I've had to replace the bowl and the coal pan every few years, but the main body of the pipe has still not cracked or leaked in almost 35 years!..:biggrin:

It's fun to use, sitting around the campfire and never fails as a conversation starter with friends who have never seen or used one...

It is a "true vaporizer", and the principle behind how it works comes from the area in or around India, from many hundreds, or even a thousand years ago.

bad ass piece bro.

lawlrus

Back it up or you're a vape salesman. :biggrin:

Are you saying you need proof that combustion resulting in smoke is carcinogenic? That's just about as basic and commonly accepted as a fact can get. There may be varying levels of carcinogens in one smoke versus another but the actual process of combustion itself is the culprit, not the material lighting on fire. The question is and always has been whether smoking cannabis is a zero sum game in terms of its purported anti-cancerous effects "cancelling out" the carcinogens present as a result of combustion. If you're concerned about cancer and still want the benefits of cannabis the safest thing you can do is go with edibles or sub-lingual drops, patches, etc...or vape I guess, but not sure if that's 100% safe either...

I don't sell vapes, I do peddle common sense though.

dddaver

Veteran
nope, there has been studies proving positive thinking does no good.

Yup. Don't mean to derail or hijack the thread. but this is copy and pasted from cancer.org:

...there’s no good evidence to support the idea that these interventions can reduce the risk of cancer, keep cancer from coming back, or help the person with cancer live longer.-the interventions talked about are the positivity and group interventions

Furthermore, this: In 2010, the largest and best-designed scientific study to date was published. It looked at nearly 60,000 people, who were followed over time for a minimum of 30 years. This careful study controlled for smoking, alcohol use, and other known cancer risk factors. The study showed no link between personality and overall cancer risk. There was also no link between personality traits and cancer survival.

T

thesloppy

When you put a flame to your bowl you're both combusting AND vaporizing cannabis, as some of the material surrounding your bowl's "cherry" isn't hot enough to combust, but is hot enough to vaporize while you smoke, which contributes to why combustion is more effective.

...I also think it's worth mentioning that some vaporizers have you puffing on a higher concentration of hot, dry air for a longer time than you would even when combusting, which can be taxing on the pulmonary system as well, and there's been pretty much no studies on the effects of vaping. I've had vape sessions that have left my lungs/throat feeling just as thrashed as smoking.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I don't agree you do.

I smoked for around 20 years, then switched to vaporizing for the last 15 or so. At first it seemed like something was missing, but we all agreed as we switched over that whats missing is a thick heavy feeling in the chest, a feeling like you actually smoked something. It takes some getting used to not being there, but how it works actually, is vaporizing gets you higher, but smoking gets you lowered, its a very different feeling. And i do smoke still occasionally, smoked a bowl of fine sift on top of GSC bud last night, and it was good, but certainly not getting me higher than vaping the extract from the bud, and stoned in a different way, less cerebral, less "high". Vaporizing is a more pure cleaner stone. Its similar to eating psilocybin, or making tea from them, making tea is like the vapor stone, eating them whole is the smoking stone.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran

It's pretty much an "outdoor use only" pipe, since I have to put coals I make from coconut shells, in the tin pan that sits on the top of the bowl...

I've had to replace the bowl and the coal pan every few years, but the main body of the pipe has still not cracked or leaked in almost 35 years!..:biggrin:

It's fun to use, sitting around the campfire and never fails as a conversation starter with friends who have never seen or used one...

It is a "true vaporizer", and the principle behind how it works comes from the area in or around India, from many hundreds, or even a thousand years ago.

That looks so cool. I thought vaporizers were a recent breakthrough in weed technology until you posted this pic.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There isn't definitive proof, but I think vaporizers are healthier. Smoke has carcinogens. Cannabinoids in the smoke prevent cancer and more than cancel out the damage from the carcinogens. Vaping produces no carcinogens in the first place, so it should help prevent cancer more than smoking.

I'm not worried about smoking at all. When my gf (ex gf? it's complicated) is here, we smoke. I smoke joints at concerts because they're convenient. Overall I prefer the high from vaporizing. Vaporizing comes with a bonus too. I save the vaped bud to make capsules that get me high as fuck for hours at a time. Vaping seems a lot more efficient to me in terms of the amount of high you get per gram.