What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In search of Blue Dream

Robney

Good Afternoon everyone!

I'm currently on the search for some blue dream from seed and I figured I'd try out DJ Short's Azure Haze and HSO's Blue Dream. Chopped both down a couple days ago, so I cannot comment on potency or taste, but I took a couple photos the day before chopping and I figured they could be helpful to anyone interested in either strain.

HSO's Blue Dream was very easy to grow, smelled like blueberry and sugar during flowering, and produced a lot of trichome-laden leaves. Nothing crazy like full fan leaves covered, but all the sugar leaves were covered. I cut at 70 after realizing I had a different date written on it than I remembered. The trichomes are milky with some amber (90% milky, 10% amber). There was a little bit of purple coming to some of the leaves. FYI: I topped this plant as it had barely any lateral growth during veg and I wanted a clone.

DJ Short's Azure Haze grew pretty easily as well, though I ran into some nutrient issues late into flower (I think the girl wanted more nutrients than I was giving her, same schedule of feeding as the HSO Blue Dream fyi). I have never seen a plant with no lateral branching, but here she is. She had barely any lateral growth, but I managed one clone off the side, so no topping here. Smelled like blueberries and something else, something I can't put my finger on. Not as resinous as the HSO Blue Dream, but still produced some crystal covered sugar leaves. Trichomes were mostly milky, with some amber heads in here and there (95% milky, 5% amber).

So yeah, both seem to have little lateral growth, though AH took the crown on that one. AH also seems to be more nutrient sensitive. AH seemed to grow faster in veg. Neither had a crazy stretch, maybe a doubling in height at most. I think they will yield very similarly even though they have completely different structures.

Hope y'all enjoy the photos and I'll be back in a month or two with a report on the taste, potency, and if I find them similar to blue dream. Take care!

Robney

Ayyyyy quick update to anybody checking in; I just finished trimming (things dry fast this time of year) and I hate to report it but it turns out that the Azure Haze turned hermaphrodite, I found tiny pollen sacs under the buds, and nearly all the buds have some seeds in them (explains where those two seeds in my afghani came from). Oh well, we'll see how it smokes later, and if that could justify trying to work it out.

For the comparison: HSO's BD smelled great (still had a nice sugary, blueberry, sweet smell) and was an easy trim, DJ's AH had a musky kinda blueberry smell but it was not very strong or necessarily pleasant, and the plant was a bit more leafy, almost seemed like that leaves that would have grown laterally just grew into the bud. Gotta say I am really surprised to see HSO so far seeming better in terms of stability (no herming), smell, and resin production.

Quick disclaimer: I only popped one DJ AH seed and two HSO BD seeds, I will report on the second BD when she's done. DJ's AH may not herm, but the specimen I received did, so if your plant looks really similar to mine, be careful and check diligently!

Take care everyone

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Good Afternoon everyone!

I'm currently on the search for some blue dream from seed and I figured I'd try out DJ Short's Azure Haze and HSO's Blue Dream. Chopped both down a couple days ago, so I cannot comment on potency or taste, but I took a couple photos the day before chopping and I figured they could be helpful to anyone interested in either strain.

HSO's Blue Dream was very easy to grow, smelled like blueberry and sugar during flowering, and produced a lot of trichome-laden leaves. Nothing crazy like full fan leaves covered, but all the sugar leaves were covered. I cut at 70 after realizing I had a different date written on it than I remembered. The trichomes are milky with some amber (90% milky, 10% amber). There was a little bit of purple coming to some of the leaves. FYI: I topped this plant as it had barely any lateral growth during veg and I wanted a clone.

DJ Short's Azure Haze grew pretty easily as well, though I ran into some nutrient issues late into flower (I think the girl wanted more nutrients than I was giving her, same schedule of feeding as the HSO Blue Dream fyi). I have never seen a plant with no lateral branching, but here she is. She had barely any lateral growth, but I managed one clone off the side, so no topping here. Smelled like blueberries and something else, something I can't put my finger on. Not as resinous as the HSO Blue Dream, but still produced some crystal covered sugar leaves. Trichomes were mostly milky, with some amber heads in here and there (95% milky, 5% amber).

So yeah, both seem to have little lateral growth, though AH took the crown on that one. AH also seems to be more nutrient sensitive. AH seemed to grow faster in veg. Neither had a crazy stretch, maybe a doubling in height at most. I think they will yield very similarly even though they have completely different structures.

Hope y'all enjoy the photos and I'll be back in a month or two with a report on the taste, potency, and if I find them similar to blue dream. Take care!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=65450&pictureid=1555035&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=65450&pictureid=1555042&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=65450&pictureid=1555034&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=65450&pictureid=1555043&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Hey Robney, very good and detailed report you have there on the blue dream and azure haze. I am currently running HSO blue dream as well at the moment, still in veg but will be flipping soon.

So far, mine is loving the nutes as well, she eats just as much as I can feed her.

However, a big difference in yours and mine is the lateral growth. Mine has very good lateral growth. Has been topped once and super cropped a few times and recently LST'd. But, before I done all of this training, I still could have gotten several clones off of her and she still had plenty of lateral growth before the training as well.

Your lateral growth problem seems to be the container size. I'm sorry bro, but your not gonna get much lateral growth with a container that small. Also, from the looks of it you must have started that plant 12/12 from seed.

Next time if you want clones you need a larger container for sure and vegging longer would help tons as well. But i'm sure you already know these things. Mine has vegged for a month and a half and I could get 6 to 8 nice large clones easily from lateral branching and still have some nice tops and branches to flower.

The buds look very good though bro, looks tasty.

And there would be no way in hell I could wait no month to try any bud! I don't understand how people do this.... I would try a quick dry of the bud before chop and also be smoking a doob of it while trimming her as well. Definitely stop back by and give a smoke report of the two plants. I love smoke reports!

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Ayyyyy quick update to anybody checking in; I just finished trimming (things dry fast this time of year) and I hate to report it but it turns out that the Azure Haze turned hermaphrodite, I found tiny pollen sacs under the buds, and nearly all the buds have some seeds in them (explains where those two seeds in my afghani came from). Oh well, we'll see how it smokes later, and if that could justify trying to work it out.

For the comparison: HSO's BD smelled great (still had a nice sugary, blueberry, sweet smell) and was an easy trim, DJ's AH had a musky kinda blueberry smell but it was not very strong or necessarily pleasant, and the plant was a bit more leafy, almost seemed like that leaves that would have grown laterally just grew into the bud. Gotta say I am really surprised to see HSO so far seeming better in terms of stability (no herming), smell, and resin production.

Quick disclaimer: I only popped one DJ AH seed and two HSO BD seeds, I will report on the second BD when she's done. DJ's AH may not herm, but the specimen I received did, so if your plant looks really similar to mine, be careful and check diligently!

Take care everyone

Your hermi problem more than likely lies within the genetics. Blueberry is notoriously well known to throw nanner's and have hermaphrodite tendencies, always has. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes ya don't!

Nice buds bro.

I am also running some Azure Haze. Tried to germinate 10 seeds, ended up only 4 germinating, 3 females, 1 male. I am happy with that outcome.

Two of the AH's are completely non existent in lateral growth. One is 50% lateral, 50% vertical.

I am waiting to hear your smoke report.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Robney

Hey MountainBuds! Thanks for the reply! I've been trying to get everything all figured out and container size certainly is something I overlooked! I'll get bigger containers from here on out. If you don't mind me asking, what size containers do you start in? When and what size do you transplant them to? hhaha you're killin me on the waiting a month, I'm def not waiting a month to burn it, but I do wanna be able to give a report where I can say at the chop it's x and after a month in a jar x turns to ____. Also, thanks for the nice words about the bud and confirming the instability of blueberry, good to know I'm not doing too much wrong!

Hey ZenDuddhist! Thanks for the reply! I hope your girls stay girls unlike mine! Def watch out for the male parts. And feel free to upload any photos or replies with how yours go, I'm def interested in what your results will be! I figure this thread should serve as a looking for BD in seed form in 2016 info center

Take care everyone!

souljah1

Im really surprised i thought dj shorts version would win over HSO. Wish you had tried Bodhi version of blue dream as well. thanks for the report

Robney

Hey souljah1! Yeah I'm very surprised too, but HSO hasn't won yet, we'll see when it comes to the smoke. Yeah, I only found out about the Bodhi version after I placed my order. I had also heard some murmurs that some dolce sativa was similar to BD, guess I'll have to debunk those later! Hopefully ZenDuddhist will come back later with some their results of the Azure Haze, my plant might just be the runt of the genetic group

Robney

Hey everybody! Things are sitting in the cure zone right now but I have an update after having a little sample of each. I'm going to disqualify DJ Short's Azure Haze as I think I have a runt of the genetic pool. My plant hermied and I found the buds full of seeds, but I figured at least the smoke would taste good, maybe have some high, but I was wrong. The buds taste like cardboard and I don't think I even had any high whatsoever. In all seriousness, if this was the first plant I grew, I would have probably quit.

HSO's Blue Dream, however, has been a success in my book. The buds retained a nice, sweet berry smell. While smoking it tasted a bit more grape than blueberry, and it kinda reminded me of blue dream. The high was really enjoyable: a nice UP, get stuff done, get motivated high that lasted a good two hours before tapering off.

I've seen a few different kinds of blue dream so I kinda categorize them between elite blue dream (has the wild flavor, sweet smell that lingers in the area, kinda hazey high, can't say I see this often) and common blue dream (similar smell and taste, high doesn't last as long, but still some nice blue dream). I would say HSO's Blue Dream is def in the realm of common blue dream; however, I find the high of HSO's Blue Dream to last longer. I can't say HSO matches the magic of the elite Blue Dream clone, but it's a damn good option for those who want that UP high with a similar berry flavor.

Last thoughts: I think DJ Short basically created a pheno hunt by breeding the mother and the father of Blue Dream, so if you can afford a DJ Short pheno hunt, more power to you. I think HSO just hit some blue dream with some colloidal silver, and called it a day; which, will probably result in a much more blue dreamy offspring. I can't verify the HSO claim, but I think it is the most likely explanation as to how they produced blue dream seeds.

I'll fill out an official smoke report at the end of the month so she has a little bit of cure time in there. Take care everyone!

somerandom

Everyone seems to bash HSO Blue Dream . I run it and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I most likely never had "the real" blue dream but how would i know . The one i had smells just like blueberry muffins cooking in an oven . I use a 5-6 gal container and usually get anywhere from 3-5z avg , I shared this with my buddy who grows it in a rainforest 66 and he gets anywhere from 7 - 13 z's , Yeah 13 !

I never had an elite strain i don't think but HSO blue Dream is damn good . Smells great ,smokes and tastes great has copious amounts of resins, huge buds and gets you really high .

I go 73 days minimum some times much longer (it's said that it's possible to double in weight between weeks 9-11) My buddy i guess grows what's considered beasters , It comes down after 8 weeks regardless . I'm currently going through the rest of the pack looking for that blueberry muffin pheno again . I don't want it back from my buddy because he has bugs lol . If worse comes to worse ....

I have never seen any pollen but i do usually get a few beans , maybe i go to long . There's really only one plant that i don't get any beans from and that's cannatonic .

bushed

Great post Robney, its always interesting to see comparisons between the cheap and expensive versions of a similar line.

Its been my experience from the 10 or so packs that Ive bought that the seeds from the cheap dutch companies (GHS,HSO,DINAFEM) almost always out perform the fashionable seeds that can cost up to 4 times the amount.

I hope you run the rest of your packs and report back what else you find, I will be certain to pick up a pack of blue dream next time I get the chance.

Robney

Somerrandon - Yeah I think a lot of people parrot one person's bad, anecdotal advice, but at the same time, if you name your strain after an amazing, elite cut, you're asking for people to hate it if it is not the same. I completely agree with you, HSO blue dream is some excellent bud and does not deserve the hate it gets, especially when it is a lot better than a lot of what goes around being called blue dream. I hope you find the blueberry muffin pheno, I have a second one going, I would love to see that pheno in person. Def don't take it back from your buddies bug ridden garden, no need to risk a whole garden for something you can find in a pack! Best of luck man, hope the rest of your pack has that pheno! but if you find the grape-ish one I got I don't think you'll be disappointed!

bushed - Thanks! Yeah it really is surprising to find a breeder with shady rep outperforming one of the legends! I have a second HSO blue dream currently flowering, I'll update this thread more when that one comes to harvest time if you wanna see what other pheno I received. So far it seems pretty similar but it's only at mid flower now

Robney

Hey everybody! Woke up this morning way too early and decided to have a smoke, didn't want to smoke anything too strong so I figured hey, I'll smoke the azure haze since it doesn't seem to really do anything and I'm just sitting on this anyway, why waste something I'd like to be awake for? So I rolled up good sized j, well for me anyway, and had a smoke. It still doesn't taste very nice, but I realized that there is a high to it: a really lighty, airy, and chill high. I'm out on the east coast so I do not have access to just try strains but I have been lucky enough to see a lot of very nice things, and in my travels I have seen super silver haze a handful of times, and to be honest, I've never been impressed by it or really enjoyed the high it provided. I just chalked it up to me being on the east coast and probably just seeing poor representations of the SSH. Now I'm kinda thinking, maybe the high of SSH just isn't my thing, I mean I love sativas, but SSH just might not be my sativa. damn I'm just blabbing, might be better than I thought...

anyhow, Azure Haze def has a high to it, just not necessarily the one I'm a big fan of. If anyone else has Azure Haze experience or pics, post it up!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
for another option...
look @ ,... Loud Seeds ... Blue dream ... excellent seed stock ... F0certain

Still growing out my Azure. Will be a while. I like to veg for 2 months, in general. Gives me time for the plant to get nice and full while also getting plenty of cuttings.

blue dream clone onlys will herm also if you wind whip them. Blueberry will get ya if you let her. Here is a pic of my clone only blue dream I recently stopped running it's @ week 6. Extreme berry smell very floral and intense berry. The clone only is all sativa in structure I see all the seeds have broad ass leaves would you describe the flavor and smell as super intense berry? good luck I'm sure you will find a winner I'm interested to see a seed keep this gem going. happy growing

Attachments

• IMG_20160131_192110.jpg
    IMG_20160131_192110.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12

Robney

yortbogey - I'll keep that in mind, but I do not see myself getting investing any more into looking for blue dream as I'm pretty happy with how the HSO turned out (the taste may not be an exact match, but the high is excellent), but if I get a hankering for that flavor I know who I'll try next. Haven't heard too much about Loud, but then again I don't know too much either, what are their best strains?

Zenduddhist - nice! def take some pics and let us know how it goes, I hope you get a much nicer specimen than I did! I have a second BD from HSO and it is looking much more sativa, we'll see how it comes out. Do post some pics here or elsewhere, always nice to have a visual of what a strain does!

thirdeyebowl - these blueberry strains can be tough! way to go on having the clone! if you don't mind me asking, why did you stop running it? I can tell you that my first HSO BD pheno tastes far more like grape than blueberry, but doesn't have that same complicated flavors they make the clone of blue dream incredible. Though I will say, I think I actually enjoyed the high from HSO BD more than the majority of BD I see being sold. I def already found a winner from the two seeds I popped, the clone I took off her is already being put into flowering, and I have a second pheno, that looks much more sativa, mid flowering. I'm hoping to see something a little closer to the real BD but time will tell! Also, I need to know, what is going on with the circle of ducting around the plant??

The ducting is definitely an LOL. The ducting was just to support my branches that were hanging to far for my taste. I run an LED in that room as well which makes it that much more comical. he only reason I stopped running the blue dream is because I am focusing on nothing but seed popping and breeding to create really stable lines that I can pop when I want and don't need to mother. So basically my interest in making my own solid gear and to save space, resource and plant count. I am really glad that you found a blue dream you like. She is a giver as they say and a great A to B simple plant to grow. I will keep my eyes out for your new pheno there is still a lot of dank to be found in the blue dream seeds look at how DJ made vanilla, chocolate and blueberry from the same stock. Good luck man keep the dream alive.

yortbogey - I'll keep that in mind, but I do not see myself getting investing any more into looking for blue dream as I'm pretty happy with how the HSO turned out (the taste may not be an exact match, but the high is excellent), but if I get a hankering for that flavor I know who I'll try next. Haven't heard too much about Loud, but then again I don't know too much either, what are their best strains?

Zenduddhist - nice! def take some pics and let us know how it goes, I hope you get a much nicer specimen than I did! I have a second BD from HSO and it is looking much more sativa, we'll see how it comes out. Do post some pics here or elsewhere, always nice to have a visual of what a strain does!

thirdeyebowl - these blueberry strains can be tough! way to go on having the clone! if you don't mind me asking, why did you stop running it? I can tell you that my first HSO BD pheno tastes far more like grape than blueberry, but doesn't have that same complicated flavors they make the clone of blue dream incredible. Though I will say, I think I actually enjoyed the high from HSO BD more than the majority of BD I see being sold. I def already found a winner from the two seeds I popped, the clone I took off her is already being put into flowering, and I have a second pheno, that looks much more sativa, mid flowering. I'm hoping to see something a little closer to the real BD but time will tell! Also, I need to know, what is going on with the circle of ducting around the plant??

Robney

hahahah well that does seem like a good use of ducting, you had me imagining some new co2 delivery system! Best of luck on your endeavor, some home grown genetics will be awesome! Keep the bay in mind as I'm sure you'll make some nice crosses and you know we all want in on it!!!

Robney

Hey everybody! Here's a little update photo with the second pheno I have of HSO's Blue Dream going, seems to look a little more sativa with some more narrow looking leaves than the first one, so we'll see how she grows!

Latest posts

Latest posts