What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HMK Rosin Press - Hair Straightener 2.0

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I was inspired to make this thread after trying to make my own and not finding any good resources readily available. In no way, shape or form can I take any credit for any of this tech. I know that I first heard about these from Heady Blunts on here and most recently from Arthritis Sucks. After processing a bunch of dry trim and popcorn nugs into dry ice keif I knew I wanted to give this a whirl and see what it's all about. You can make your own press for around $50 bucks. This is also a work in progress as I just ordered the materials after not being able to find them locally.

Starting with the hair straightener you will want to find the widest one that is titanium and not ceramic. The ceramic straighteners can crack when under the pressure of the press where as the titanium ones won't. You will find that the vast majority of straighteners are ceramic. The best I could find while searching around was the one that I saw Arthritis Sucks using which is this model here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2ORR4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

610IOxSjmZL._SX522_.jpg

As far as the press goes I got this one because it has the wider surface area grip surface. I opted for the 6" because I knew I would only ever be pressing thin things and didn't want the longer rod hanging out making it more awkward to work with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VND4X0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

71jEyly2hwL._SL1500_.jpg

I also got some empty tea bags to put the keif into prior to pressing. I've also heard that coffee filters work nicely as well. I haven't heard much first hand experience about specifically made 37 and 25 micron bags although I know that they are on the market. From my quick searching it seems that most of those are marketed towards the commercially sized rosin presses.

This is going to be a work in progress and I will update as I get the materials in and build the contraption. Until then if you have any questions please post them. Likewise if you have experience with these please feel free to chime in.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
nice idea WDI.

for posterity's sake: HMK stands for hashmasta-kut, he shared this pic in july on the rosin tech? thread and it has since inspired many reproductions.

fwiw he's got ceramic plates and afaik hasn't cracked them yet. i did crack some ceramic plates when i was using an arbor press tho. i prefer the Ti plates for the HMK press myself, just in case. also, some hair irons that say they have ceramic plates still have metal plates just with a ceramic coating.

melting the plates into the pads was a clever idea shared by thirdeyevision soon after

Just finished making my quickgrip press, thanks for the inspiration hmk. I just used some foil tape to hold it in place for the first few squeezes to make sure it worked before i drilled holes in the plates to add screws....as it turns out the grooves on the back of the ceramic plates were ideal for attatching itself to the rubber pads of the quickgrip...lmao the heat and pressure has welded my hair iron plates to the grip by itself. Its never coming off. No epoxy glue or screws necessary .

pic is mine:

11356580_120795168263344_1327393884_n.jpg

soilgrown was the person that first shared the hair iron tech through youtube and IG.

it was icmag's own comphashon that originally brought rosin tech to our attention back in 2006 with the thread cannabis rosin(solventless hashoil).

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks for the follow up man :yes: I was hoping you would come in here and drop some knowledge. You filled in a bunch of the gaps I didn't know. :tiphat:

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Knowledge dropped ........ damn Rosin Historian over there Heady lol. Nice.

Here's the one I put together after looking at the pics.

picture.php

An some near 25% results....
picture.php

Random shots....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mahalos for all the help Heady.

Heusinomics

Fantastic handy work who dat & AS!

How long are u guys pressing for?

Sounds like a fun project that will b on my list for next weekend!

I'm looking forward to turning on mor of my bros to the rosin and dab afew strains that I haven't been able to run through the extractor.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran

I'm looking forward to turning on mor of my bros to the rosin and dab afew strains that I haven't been able to run through the extractor.

Heady was just telling me that the best terp to dab consistency was around 220 degrees. Stealing his thunder a little bit here but hopefully he'll come in with another knowledge bomb.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran

7 second presses my friend. So easy an safe to make oil now at home. Made some Jack o Hazia rosin today.

I'm already thinking of building a wood holder for this an a lever to squeeze the trigger an faster release.

Gonna press out 3 or 4 ounces this weekend probably.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
7 second presses my friend. So easy an safe to make oil now at home. Made some Jack o Hazia rosin today.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=19165&pictureid=1532316&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I'm already thinking of building a wood holder for this an a lever to squeeze the trigger an faster release.

Gonna press out 3 or 4 ounces this weekend probably.

How do you guys collect it off the parchment paper? Is it as easy as just flaking it off with some kind of knife or scraper? I'm afraid of cutting or tearing the paper and starting to get bits of paper mixed in.

Also, didn't you say that it was setting 14 that seems to get you as close as possible to 220F?

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Depends on the type of rosin. if its more sappy ill put a box from the freezer underneath it and it hardens up a bit and makes for easier collection. If it comes out super shattery (my 73u bubble does) then i heat it up just slightly and collect. Most of the flower rosin im getting from pressing gg4 and sour dubb is collecting up fine without any additional steps

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Depends on the type of rosin. if its more sappy ill put a box from the freezer underneath it and it hardens up a bit and makes for easier collection. If it comes out super shattery (my 73u bubble does) then i heat it up just slightly and collect. Most of the flower rosin im getting from pressing gg4 and sour dubb is collecting up fine without any additional steps

Sounds good. I would be hoping for more of the pull and snap shatter consistency. I hate stuff that is sticky and hard to handle. :yes:

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Sounds good. I would be hoping for more of the pull and snap shatter consistency. I hate stuff that is sticky and hard to handle. :yes:

I get that from my 25 and 160u bubble hash but i think its cause my temps might be a little high. getting a 6ton press like the one heady_blunts made and sourcing heated plates. stooooooooooooooked

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
ringodoggie turned me on to the 6 ton shop press from harbor freight. it's like $75 and you can get it for even cheaper when they have sales.

the jack sucks tho so be prepared to replace it. sunfire has been using one for a long time too and he was kind enough to warn me against overloading the frame. even the 6 ton jack is a little too much for that shitty harbor freight frame.

i replaced it with a 4 ton jack and it works great. presses great. still gettting 1333---2000psi with the 4 ton. of course the first 4 ton i got a harbor freight failed quickly as well, so i didn't even try to fix it that time, and instead i got one at napa auto that so far is working a million times better. plus it was the same price!

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
ringodoggie turned me on to the 6 ton shop press from harbor freight. it's like $75 and you can get it for even cheaper when they have sales.

the jack sucks tho so be prepared to replace it. sunfire has been using one for a long time too and he was kind enough to warn me against overloading the frame. even the 6 ton jack is a little too much for that shitty harbor freight frame.

i replaced it with a 4 ton jack and it works great. presses great. still gettting 1333---2000psi with the 4 ton. of course the first 4 ton i got a harbor freight failed quickly as well, so i didn't even try to fix it that time, and instead i got one at napa auto that so far is working a million times better. plus it was the same price!

You have any pics of what you're talking about? I'm trying to envision what's going on here.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
I opted for the one from home depot after reading the stories about the HF one breaking. The one at HD is only 99 bucks and seems to be of much better quality, but we shall see.

Heady, what size plates are you using again? I was going to source some to heat via your methodology until i decide on heated plates

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I opted for the one from home depot after reading the stories about the HF one breaking. The one at HD is only 99 bucks and seems to be of much better quality, but we shall see.

Heady, what size plates are you using again? I was going to source some to heat via your methodology until i decide on heated plates

Do you guys have a picture of what you're talking about with this big press though? I can't visualize how this is going together.