What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

peat free organic soil mix?

Cork144

Am a novice in the art of building a soil mix and going to full organics, done a fair amount of research as of late and a lot of soil mixes are suggesting peat.

Problem is I cant seem to find a UK supplier of the bloody stuff, so I am wondering what is a good alternative? bagged top soil?

I was currently planning on a 40/25/25/10 compost/coco/perlite/EWC and feeding with aerated compost teas, can any organic Gurus chime in and point a notive in a decent direction on what to do and what to add?

Much gratitude will be returned for your wisdom:huggg:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've seen leaf mold suggested as a peat replacement. haven't tried it

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Leaf mould would be the ideal choice, but given the breakdown time required (one to two years, can be accelerated with nitrogen and grain meals), would be something to start now for future use.

Unless of course you could find a local source. The legwork would be stiff but the payoff beauty.

Here's a Guardian article on the subject.

And another from the RHS.

Given the direction the UK has gone re: reducing peat use over the past decade, your local information/experience eclipses ours.

50 percent humus material is far too high of a ratio. If one were to look at a cross cut of an ideal in ground soil, the humus layer would comprise 5-10%. Growers increase this to maximum (as a general rule) 1/3 volume to increase growth/compensate for artificial mixtures.

The bulk of a good mix is aeration and inert (sort of) substrate. There are peat free mixes based around top soil but these are usually too heavy for our purposes. Too high of a bulk density (fine particles including sand, that comprises much compost) in a soil mix needlessly taxes root growth, restricts oxygen/CO2 exchange and negatively effects water movement and retention.

Wood fines and/or bark fines are another option, but require much processing to obtain ideal particle size. Mesh screen, an angle grinder and a concrete mixer would make short work of it. One could even extend the barrel to increase processing volume.

LostTribe

Premium user
Leaf mould would be the ideal choice, but given the breakdown time required (one to two years, can be accelerated with nitrogen and grain meals), would be something to start now for future use.

Unless of course you could find a local source. The legwork would be stiff but the payoff beauty.

Here's a Guardian article on the subject.

And another from the RHS.

Given the direction the UK has gone re: reducing peat use over the past decade, your local information/experience eclipses ours.

50 percent humus material is far too high of a ratio. If one were to look at a cross cut of an ideal in ground soil, the humus layer would comprise 5-10%. Growers increase this to maximum (as a general rule) 1/3 volume to increase growth/compensate for artificial mixtures.

The bulk of a good mix is aeration and inert (sort of) substrate. There are peat free mixes based around top soil but these are usually too heavy for our purposes. Too high of a bulk density (fine particles including sand, that comprises much compost) in a soil mix needlessly taxes root growth, restricts oxygen/CO2 exchange and negatively effects water movement and retention.

Wood fines and/or bark fines are another option, but require much processing to obtain ideal particle size. Mesh screen, an angle grinder and a concrete mixer would make short work of it. One could even extend the barrel to increase processing volume.

I must say good show old boy good show!

G

Take a look at super coco. Not supposed to be any peat in that prepared mix. Possibly you could replicate.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wait until the crops over for that. The only coir organic mix I've run ran out of steam half way through flower, it would be wise to keep something like EJ around to supplement if need be. That is just my experience with a particular mix in 8-10 gal pots though, many others do great start to finish.

Coba

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=265469

you will be hard pressed to find another soil substitute as good as SPM... Baked clay/DE comes to mind. Coco and leaf mold just doesn't have the cec. and like Mikell said (great post btw) everything else that SPM replaces... would be too heavy for indoor containers.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
not any leaf mold but BLACK leaf mold, rotted for at least 4--6 years.

leaf mold in the 1--2 year zone makes great mulch but for an spm replacement you want that perfect spongy medium that comes after it has fully broken down over several years.

definitely a project i'm interested in trying myself!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I bought a bag by mistake of ground up trees very well composted with chicken shit that I am experimenting with. I germed a seed for a joke to see if the media was too hot and the seedling did sprout. The seedling is a little slow but otherwise healthy. I don't like the structure of the media which is too wet so I will use it up to mix in with my base. It should have a lot of Myco in it as it is very black and well composted.

betshtick

Can't really get cheaper or easier or gooder :p than coco imho...

Nice fluffy bags or cheapo 5kg bricks, they all work great. Throw in some perlite or growstone or something for aeration. Amend if desired (no need really if bottle feeding).