What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PBP or fox farm?

Floridian

Veteran
I started growing using FF grow and tiger bloom.After a little trouble with the grow ,I switched to PBP grow and never went back.In my opinion trying both PBP grow and FF grow,PBP grow is superior(my opinion).However,I've grown such hoglegs using 1K HPS and tiger bloom that I haven't switched up on my flowering fert.I guess I'm wondering if any of you have used tiger bloom then switched to PBP bloom and got better results.Its hard to give up on tiger bloom it works well but if PBP bloom works even better,I'd give it a shot.Thanks for any replies.

I can tell you that I switched from GH FloraDuo to PBP and it's been fantastic! No more nute burn, doesn't seem as harsh on the plants if they go dry, etc. I don't think I'll be switching any time soon. I do still add Hydroplex and Calmag though and it's being grown in a mix of FFOF and some professional unamended soiless mixture and has been great. I think you'll like the PBP Bloom.

whiteberrieS

Ignominious and Pale
Veteran
Tigerbloom works well but if you run into sensitive plants it'll give you nanners if you overfeed it. Pretty much goes for all chem-nutes. I just finished a plant outside using only PureBlend tea and that stuff inspired me to give the PBP a go. No more nute burn is awesome. Big plump hairy roots :good: Thought it was fungus at first but nope, just root hairs that aren't burnt off from the salts.

Just wish I'd asked the same question back in 2011 :laughing: Spent two years with FF, a year on a organic coco-mix (was decent)..half a year on V+B and am switching over to PBP finally.

Bog uses PBP and his SourBubble nugs were big and chunky compared to mine on the V+B.

Floridian

Veteran
fox farm and pbp

fox farm and pbp

Wow actually I'm pschyed that in many cases PBP seemed to outdo tiger bloom.This is great.I never had a problem with tiger bloom at 10ML burning my flowers but I damn sure did with fox farm grow big.I think that shit likes burning vegging adolescents lol.No problem with PBP grow with 15ML I've never so much as scorched a vegging plant.I cant wait to switch to PBP bloom now.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I run pbp in my promix and my ebb and flow table. I love it and dont think id consider switching it out. I use both grow and bloom as well as LK and sweet raw plus calmag.

My only complaint with PBP bloom is not enough nitrogen.

I thought the same thing, but then I got to thinking. The CalMag has 2-0-0 in it, so between that and the PSP , it adds just enough of a boost to keep them light green in my experience, but you have to feed more often than you would with chem nutes. I have to add CalMag every watering or I get a Cal def in bloom and yellowing.

Granger2

Veteran
I used to use PBP years ago when I thought it was organic. It is organic based. I thought it was excellent. Sticking pretty close to their chart, I never had any problems. Karma is one of the best additives out there. Has humic and fulvic. I still use it. Now they're got other additives that help on aromatics. I'd use them if I were to switch. Good luck. -granger

1-4-5 is not a balanced diet for me. I still follow the 2-1-1 for veg and 1-2-2 for flower. Has worked for me for 20+ years.

Try the CNS-17 line. Half the cost and performs as well and a better balance of nutes'.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
The PBP Bloom for soil (1-4-5) works very well you just have to watch out for early yellowing because of the lack of nitrogen. If you add some Cal-Mag (2-0-0) into the mix that is no longer a problem. I like top dressing with Roots Organics Foundation (3-1-1) as well.

-Funk

Floridian

Veteran
I use R/O water so every gallon that goes on my plants get 5 ml cal-mag plus.I usually continue PBP grow for the first10-15 days of 12/12.Hey thanks a lot folks.Ahh a song about Chicago and Mayor Daley..Damn I'm aged

LostTribe

Premium user
go PBP all I use since I switched like 8 years ago. I ran everything GH, floranova, earth juice, advanced and been with pbp ever since.

You can also use hydroplex and soil formula late in flower for added P!

R

Rhinogain

Was never too thrilled with FF. Don't don't what the other is. Aside from getting a bale of pro max off of Amazon, then waiting at the door for it to show up, unbound, in the full light of day of what it is, I always had good results with just peat Moss, a lot of lime pellets, and additives, set for a month to brew into soil.

R

Rhinogain

FF is better that Walmart soil. So it has that going for it. But it isn't a whole lot better IMO.

Floridian

Veteran
I use 2 parts ocean forest and 1 part roots( some amendants).No need for perlite as roots has plenty.Its a good combo and now flowering with PBP I cant wait.Unfortunately 2 days before this post I bought a 32 oz bottle of tiger bloom.I'm sure she will do my multi Paradise strains justice.The clones of these plants gets PBP bloom Yea!I'm glad I posted this.I don't know what I just hit,but suddenly my letters are a lot bigger.I think it has to do with font?I don't care this is badass for a half blind motherfucker such as myself.Man the letters are huge.

All my nutes from my hydroponics DWC setup are sitting on the shelf expiring since I've switched to PBP when I went to soil :) I still like DWC better, but for practicality sake I have to stick with soil for the time being.

LostTribe

Premium user
I run it exclusively as follows

veg/gallon
ro water
5ml calmg+
10 ml LK
10-15 ml pbp grow
2.5 ml silica blast
2 ml sm-90
2 ml hydroguard(switching to cannazyme)

bloom/gallon
ro water
5 ml calmg+
15ml pbp bloom
10 ml LK (first 2 weeks only)
3 ml silica blast
start week 3 I add hydroplex and stop LK
2ml hydrogaurd about to switch to cannazyme first 3 weeks only
sm-90 2ml first 3 weeks only

I use it with clonex and calmg+ 180ppm pbp grow 220ppm for cuts takes about a week.

thats it a classic recipe is ro with 5ml calmg+ and 15 ml bloom thats it.

LostTribe - do you use that every watering or do you alternate that feeding with waterings? I usually water 4 days a week and end up doing a full nute mix like you listed, then a plain watering, then a LK / Calmag watering, then plain watering, then back to full nutes next week and start it over again. Also, why do you stop LK in week 3?