What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wide containers, low ceiling.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
i notice most people using standard nursery size pots and buckets for their plants, containers that are about as wide as they are tall or taller. this makes sense given the natural shape of the plant and how cannabis likes to grow vertical.

anyone have any thoughts on using containers that are wide and low to the ground? i saw some storage totes that are 25q (6.5 gallons) three of them would fit great inside a 2'x4' tent that i have.

they are only 7.5 inches tall. 20 long. 15.5 wide.

using something like this would more than double my soil volume without losing any precious vertical space, my tent is only 5' tall, and im growing with 400w HID.

then again i could just raise a mother and do endless SOG in small buckets....... IDK. first world problems....
:tiphat:
https://www.icmag.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Chrono. I don't have any "first world" experience, but the shallow root setup seems to work in flood and drain tables, so I figure it would be ok.

The one drawback I see is getting the soil uniformly moist when watering/feeding. Also the larger surface area will allow evaporation a lot quicker so u may conside some mulch or something to combat that.

Either way, let us know how it goes!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Correct on the media volume making a difference. Most indoor strains like a pot about eight inches deep. Deeper poss do not make efficient use of media past that depth.
Five gallon buckets commonly used are about four inches too tall and the roots reach the 8" mark.
Three and a half gallon buckets are the same diameter but closer to eight inches deep and grow identical size plants as the five gallon buckets.

Personally I use eighteen inch diameter totes cut down to ten inches high. The top two inches are covered in Perlite and the plant is watered only to the bottom of the Perlite, this keeps bugs from laying eggs and messing with the roots.
Eighteen inch diameter allows three plants to share the container as long as they are clones from the same mother.
This fools them into thinking they have the whole pot to themselves and growth is improved over the smaller buckets.

Rockwool croutons are the media I like, but coco or other fast drain media should work just as well.

Attachments

• Root side by side, Perlite versus rockwool.jpg
    Root side by side, Perlite versus rockwool.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Transplanted almost a month ago.jpg
    Transplanted almost a month ago.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 17

chronosync

Well-stoned member
thanks alot!

awesome that you showed us the difference between rockwool and perlite, it looks to me that the roots like the rockwool a lot better :) good to know.

THIS is very interesting too:
"This fools them into thinking they have the whole pot to themselves and growth is improved over the smaller buckets,"

ive been told that plants compete in the same container, i guess it would make sense that if they are genetically identical each cut would have no way to tell the difference between itself or competition. sounds good. thanks for the info

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have done it..worked ok....yeehaw..this was only one of many trays used..i used up to 9 per tent.....I don't think they are even that tall 7.5 .. I will measure one if ya want...sterilite trays from Walmart...good yield for what it is....grown in soil

chronosync

Well-stoned member
no need to measure, thanks tho!

so what did you think? good idea, nice try? did you see any benefits? drawbacks?

clearly it worked pretty good :)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
no complaints..worked like a charm.....yeehaw..made watering easier once I figured out how much per tray...way better than watering individual grow bags...and the small grow bags would tip over now and then...it went like dominos ,,one would fall hit the next and so on...the trays solved that issue...where there is a will, there is a way...

chronosync

Well-stoned member
right on man. knocking everything over all the time sounds like a bitch. that would tick me off. what strain is that?

sorry for the double post BTW. i have no idea why that happened.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I am not exactly sure but I think that tray was pot of gold from flying Dutchman....a few of the strains I ran looked alike....yeehaw

Extacie

Cannabis likes to grow deep root systems but wide containers work great to the way to go indoors imo, save that vertical space like you said. Especially if using larger containers indoors Best of luck

I am in the same boat as op as I am thinking of growing on two levels in a 2.3m room and a bit wider and shorter containers is my plan.

Eighteen inch diameter allows three plants to share the container as long as they are clones from the same mother.
This fools them into thinking they have the whole pot to themselves and growth is improved over the smaller buckets.

Thanks for that piece of info!

DemonTrich

Veteran
I grow in short/fat pots, 4.7gal plastic pot. been using these for 4+yrs now. would like to find a slightly larger (short/fat) plastic pot around a 5.5-6.5gal size to see if I can yield more.

LostTribe

Premium user
dont forget you also have the option to lst train them and tie them down do they dont get too tall.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
gonna do both! :)

@DemonTrich i have no idea about hydro setups. first grow in coco here.

just fired up the HPS today! :) !

jesbuds

Love me the Rubbermaid roughneck tubs, very durable, mod-able and use the tops as drip trays. More limited in sizes but great tubs, generally get them at Home Depot/Lowes.