What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone re-vegged a male plant?

Just wondering, in my past experience male plants, once they have produced as much pollen as they are able, die off quickly.

Anyone flowered a male plant, used it to pollinate, and then re-vegged it to keep for next time you need a plant pollinated?

WelderDan

Veteran
I never had any luck revegging a male. They always died. No problems cloning and keeping one in veg tho

Scrappy-doo

Maybe it depends on how far into flower you take them? I usually have them in the flower room until right before they start dropping then cut the main branches off and put them in a cup of water with a cfl. If I want to keep the male I put what's left back into the veg room. So I only take them a couple or few weeks into 12/12. Haven't lost any as of yet.

St. Phatty

Doing it right now with 2 clones each of 2 Candyland x Apollo 11 seedlings.

The male clones were not supposed to get to the pollen stage. They came from 2 larger males from a neighbor's grow. He gave me the plants to feed to my chickens. They were all ready to Do Their Thing (and spew pollen) which would have been very inconvenient. I took 2 clones from each (each of which "took") and the chickens had their Big Cannabis Brunch (on the original males).

I put the male clones under an experimental LED bulb, a 40 watt-er combining 3 different color temps. It's on 24/0. It took them a while to stop making pollen. I could have actually made some seeds if I wanted. I was scared there would be some on me and I would contaminate my neighbor's sinse plants.

Anyway, they finally got back to 'just veg'ing'. Basically, I want them to be in a state of suspended animation - growing slowly - until I need them. Based on their sisters' performance, they will be good fathers.

It suggests a way to re-veg males and still get some pollen - put them back into 24/0 after 1 week of 12/12.

I put a pot of water next to the re-veg'ing males and put the pollen in there. Not a perfect solution but so far so good.

R

Rubber Chicken

Yes, i have re-veged males, it's just the same as re-vegging females, i usually don't let them get too close to dying off though.

As long as the stems and lower shoots are healthy it should work ok.

I can usually collect some pollen then cut them back to small shoots and put into 24 hour light.