What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reviewing Sun Cloak Systems vertical LED panels: A transition from HID to LED

Tommy Trichrome

Hi there,
Tommy Trichrome here
, first time forum poster, but long time reader. By chance I came across the Suncloak vertical LED lighting system as it was being developed in the same building in which I was employed. I have been amazed by the results and felt it necessary share what I have learned. I have been in the cannabis industry for a while now, and while I wouldn't consider myself the leading expert, I would consider myself very knowledgeable with many years of trial and error under my belt.

Some of my history: I have been involved in California’s Medical Cannabis Industry going on 6 years now, working every nuanced niche from courier, budtender, vendor, inventory manager, analytics lab rep, medical delivery dispatch, to propagator.
⦁ Prior to my induction into the medical field, I had worked everything from hydroponic nurseries to residential grows for about 3-4 years. This means I have tried almost everything, from different growing techniques to the technology I was using.
⦁ Throughout my years growing, I have tried many manipulation techniques (topping, FIMing, super-cropping, monster-cropping LSTing).
⦁ As well as different propagation methods (drip systems, ebb n flow, hand watering, NFT, Deep Raft, integrated hydro techniques)
⦁ It's important to mention throughout all my years and experience, I have only been familiar with conventional HID lighting systems, by which I mean, either Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium systems, hung horizontally above the plant canopy. So any conventional propagation knowledge I have, I applied to my grow using the Suncloak LED system.

As stated it was by chance that I worked in same building that was in the processes of designing revolutionary vertical/surround LED panels for growing. Once I knew their purpose, I was interested because it the theory just made sense to me.

Here is what I knew going into this grow. The Suncloak system output about 84-112K lumens for a 4ft x 4ft grow table with an energy consumption of about 600-800 watts and substantially less heat generation than an HPS. I suspected that these features would lessen environmental adjustments (temp./humidity) and maintenance. And the vertical design would definitely penetrate upper canopy and possibly make the lower canopy a viable producer.

My Transition: All these pro's combined, not only sparked my intrigue into using LEDs, as opposed to my conventional HID lighting, but the reality of the facts presented was enough to make me want to try a transition to LEDs from the conventional lighting of which I am familiar.

A summary of what I have seen with 3 weeks before harvest
⦁ Faster plant growth and development during all stages.
⦁ A proportionate weight of buds dispersed throughout upper and lower canopy.
⦁ Less hassle, due to less environmental monitoring and adjusting.
⦁ lower energy costs.
⦁ Currently trending toward better yields (though harvest is still 3 weeks)

Follow Along:If you would like to learn of the possibilities offered by Sun Cloak's LEDs and how to achieve similar results, while lowering your costs, please follow along on this thread. I have results throughout flower (up till week 5 of flower), along with pictures that chronicle my progress throughout the grow, using Sun Cloak Systems LED technology. The posts to come will show my progress throughout the vegetative and flowering stage till we come to real-time updates chronicling my results through weeks 5 of flower-Harvest.
suncloak-light-set-up.jpg

Sun%20Cloak%20Lights%20with%20plants%201st%20stage%20of%20veg.jpg

Tommy Trichrome

Hey there,
Tommy Trichrome reporting again!
After introducing the revolutionary Suncloak System in my first post, I am following up with pictures attesting to the benefits that this sysyem offers. So here it is, the begining of near completed grow journal following Sun Cloak System's Vertical LED Panels. Stay posted as more results will be posted each day till harvest!

The Trial Run: (9 Grape Ape clones in a Sun Cloak 36” panel x 9 plant System)

Supplies: 1 large bag of hydroton (for root aeration and drainage), 3 bags of FF Ocean Forrest Soil, 1 small bag of perlite. Nutes: Sensi grow and Sensi bloom, CalMag, FF Grow big, Superthrive, MOAB, Molasses. RO’d and Aerated filtered water source.

Grow Area: 4’x4’ Grow Tent from Lighthouse Hydroponic Tents (true 48” x48” spec tent)
Propagation Method: Soil medium with Hydroton clay pellets at the bottom of the containers for drainage and root aeration, with regular scheduled hand watering/feeding.

Schedule of Plant Maturation: 1st) Clone Root Establishment: 1 week for clones to root and establish new growth (first new set of leaves) 2nd) Weening clones: from T5s to the Sun Cloak System for vegetative stage-1 week. 3rd) Vegetative Stage: 3 weeks in the Sun Cloak System. (total veg time- about a month). 4th) Switch to Flowering: Plants begin early flowering, and “the stretch” is seen. (1-2 weeks). 5th) Full Bloom: for around 4-5 weeks plants will be at one of their most productive stages, as size of the buds begin to swell (calyxes begin to mature and expand giving the buds substantial size and density.) 6th) Late Bloom: The final 2 weeks (8-9 week total in flower) are to allow the plant to ripen fully, and to reach the desired trichrome development (in between an opaque milky color to lightly turning amber- just before the THC-A starts degrading into CBN). Final Flushing) in the late bloom phase we will begin to flush frequently until harvest (1-2 weeks of flushing). 7th) Harvest Time.

Light Source: 1 Sun Cloak 800 w LED Full Spectrum System-84,000-112,00 lux output.

Environmental Controls: 2 oscillating fans (1 large oscillating room fan & 1 small clip on oscillating in-tent fan), a portable 9000 btu room AC (set to 75 degrees F on energy saver, which means it turns on if the room temp exceeds 75 degree F) - NOTE: for the Sun Cloak system the portable AC isn’t necessary, just a passive air intake and circulation)

Chronology of Growth
⦁ Start Date: August 9th 2015
⦁ Aug. 9th- Purchased Supplies
⦁ Aug. 14th- Purchased Clones-placed under t5 2700k fluorescent panels (24hr for 3 days, then switched to 18/6 light cycle)
⦁ Sept. 4th - Put t5 vegged clones in Sun Cloak System to Veg further, to flowering stage.
⦁ Sept. 20th- Switched plants into flowering (12/12 light cycle)
⦁ Oct.- Nov. - All Flowering w/ increased nutrient uptake.
⦁ Nov. 20th- Foreseen Harvest Date

(Plants installed and ready for vegetative state after 1 week of weening of T5 floro's)

Tommy Trichrome

Hey Y'all
Tommy Trichrome again

Here's what I've done and seen so far in my grow journal.

⦁ Friday September 4th, 2015 switched to veg under the Sun Cloak System, after letting the roots and true first leaves become established under 2 weeks of T5 fluorescents.
⦁ The spacing allowed me to choose the size and shape of the container that best suited my growing needs. Pictured is a 5 gallon conventional circular container, next to the same size 5 gallon squared containers. So with the vertical infrastructure i was still free to chose the size and shape of the container that works for me.
⦁ Just at a glance, the visually perceived spectrum of the Sun Cloak System’s wavelength is a warm mixture of red, yellow, white and red colors, which together with traces of blue color, appears to resemble the suns natural shine.
⦁ it was important to gradually ween plants to acclimatize them to their new light source. (1-5 days)

2 weeks of Veg. later. (September 15th 2015)
Veg.%20forum%20post%203.jpg
forumpost3vegpicture2.jpg

Tommy Trichrome

Update, LED Grow-Coming into week 2 of Flower

Update, LED Grow-Coming into week 2 of Flower

Coming into the 2nd week of Flowering

So far the growth has had me excited. everyday I open my grow room not quite knowing what to expect, as far as new development and growth.

Feeding them daily now and man these girls can drink. I am feeding them a mixture of calmag, sensi base nutes, superthrive, and molasses at the moment, but will be using Moab, with a diluted mixture of the prior mentioned nutes, to induce a faster swell in the weeks to come.

Week2-Flower.jpg

whatch yall think of the development coming into week 2 of flower? im thinking its showing real vigor, but that just MO.

My room hasent hit higher than 80F the duration of this grow. I have my fans and ac on a timer and just come in now to feed and steer the plants growth. I mention this because I never used LEDs prior and so to have them running during the day and not have my room hit higher then 80F, puts my mind at ease, as far as environmental controls at least...

Tommy Trichrome

a little past 2 weeks of flower Cont.

Feeding them daily now, and man their thirsty!
I find that these plants are loving the light coverage and really showing me that their benefitting from these LEDs.

BTW..my electrical bill tripped me out, since it was so much lower than I expected. I had always heard that LEDs consumed less energy, but I always thought it was a marketing ploy, but the proof is in the bills. I will try and see if i can figure out how I can post the cost on my bill, so you all can see just what i'm talking about.

Week2-1-2.jpg

just in the middle of the 2nd week the pistols are stretching and secondary and support foliage is beginning to develop....Yee

Week2-Flower-Picture2.jpg

I'm getting great result with this run, and I think I will be pulling exactly when I projected at either 8 or 9 week (i'll let it go to 9 if it hasn't turned enough color yet)

Please keep me posted, what do you think, this is my first time with LEDs and I want to know how you seasoned LEDrs are doing things and what you all think. Advice opinions, comments,constructive-criticism all welcome.
Week2-1-2-Photo-2.jpg

Tommy Trichrome

Back with some more pics coming into week 3 of flower.

Im seeing the "swell" coming and looking good. tell me whachu think...
BTW I appreciate any and all comments, and am open to advice and questions, and starting a dialogue with anyone willing to learn, or anyone who feels like they have some input, as I mentioned LEDs are not my original forte, so post your experiences or advice. Im open.

week%203%20of%20flower%20pic%203.jpg

week%203%20of%20flower%20pic%204.jpg

week%203%20of%20flower.jpg

based off my experience, these ladies are looking pretty nice for the 3rd week of flower. Something im curious about, which some of you RIU experts out there might know, how do LEDs do with plants that have a genetic propensity for late flowering color (GDp, Grape, GSC ect....) Mine in week 7, are starting to turn color, but does anyone know if it's just a time/maturity thing.

Tommy Trichrome

Flowering a week later Oct. 18th (beginning of week 4)-initial signs of “bud swell”

October 18th 2015

⦁ As the buds start to put on their initial weight during the 4th week of flower, I noticed that the lower canopy was growing at a similar rate and size, as the upper canopy.

⦁ Due to the SC LED vertical panel design, light is able to penetrate to the lower canopy. What Iv'e seen, as a result of this light penetration, is larger lower canopy growth that's more comparable to the growth of secondary top Kolas.

⦁ For me personally this was big! No more “Lolli-Popping” lower branches or just striping them in hopes it diverts the energy to the upper canopy. Now, as a result of the evenly dispersed light penetration, the lower canopy can not only be salvaged, its size and quality will contribute to the overall yield.

The Upper Canopy
Week%204%20of%20flower%20pic%201.jpg

Size and Maturation in comparison to the lower canopy..(lowest branch to the container)
week%204%20of%20flower%20pic%202.jpg

So something that I'm noticing is that the size of the lower canopy is growing comparable to the size and rate of the secondary, upper canopy "Kolas"...

If you have liked this grow journal so far, you all are really gonna like weeks 5-7. (its when things get real chunky)

Tommy Trichrome

October 20th 2015-2 days later (end of week 4 of Bloom)
Hey all, Tommie Trichrome checking in again..

At the end of the 4th week of flower here and the terpene production is really ramping up. (I can smell my house before turning down the block)

This is what I like to see at this stage, the "swell or chunk" starting to show... from here, to pretty much the end of week 7 is where the calyxes really begin to beef up.

Flowering%20-End%20of%20Week%204.jpg

The development and shape of these nugs has that standard GDP, Grape ape strain quality to their appearance and smell, but further, in this stage they are gaining their density.
Flowering%20-End%20of%20Week%204-pic%202.jpg

Throughout this grow journal, reviewing the SunCloak system, I haven't had any negative hindrances so far... As long as I feed them daily, and maintain the container moisture, this is really automated system. I just feed/and water and let the plants do their thing, and haven't seen any bleaching, stress or adverse signals, which the plants display when stress'n.

The ambient environment stays consistent (hum/temp), which means if I don't have to worry about the grow environment, then that gives me the time to utilize my energy elsewhere.

Let me know whatcha think? Advice? Just learning these LEDs myself so I'm super open to thoughts or criticism.
THX Community.

Tommy Trichrome

Hello IC Community

Finishing up week 6 of flower and i'm now staring to flush my ladies. All i can say is this have been a really easy grow.

I haven't had to worry about the environmental controls in any way. Basically, when I leave my house, I can rest assure that the temps/humidity and overall environment will be the same as I left it. Thats huge for me. I have had countless experiences with leaving the house for work or school, and due to something (power outage, timer did not turn on, etc.), I return to a major problem with the environment and have to do a quick fix just to get the room stable again. Since using LEDs I haven't had to do this once...further my plants can touch the LEDs and I don't have to worry about bleaching, which means i can really utilize my space.

Here are my result finishing week 6...9 plants in a 4x4' tent...using vertical LEDs

end%20of%20week%206-12.JPG

http://www.armoredworks.com/www.armoredworks.com/TriChrome/end of week 6-13.JPG
http://www.armoredworks.com/www.armoredworks.com/TriChrome/end of week 6-14.JPG
end%20of%20week%206-15.JPG

End%20of%20week%206.JPG

End%20of%20week%206-2.JPG

End%20of%20week%206-3.JPG

justanotherbozo

Veteran
yeah man, while all this looks really cool, i'm wondering how many years it would take to make up the $2,700.00 price tag, ...that's the thing with LED's, they are extremely pricey and therefore priced beyond what most of the market is willing to bear, ...i mean let's face it, i can throw a 600HPS in a 4 x 4 for about $200.00, including bulb so justifying the other $2.500.00 is tough to do, for me at least.

anyway, not tryin' to rain on your parade or anything just puttin' it out there is all, as a former marketing guy i learned many, many moons ago that sometimes it's easier to succeed when you amass a whole bunch of quick nickels rather that waiting and searching for the slow dollars, ...for real, somebody puts out a system like that that you're 'testing' for under a grand and i bet the sales start taking off very quickly.

good luck, bozo

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
yeah man, while all this looks really cool, i'm wondering how many years it would take to make up the $2,700.00 price tag, ...that's the thing with LED's, they are extremely pricey and therefore priced beyond what most of the market is willing to bear, ...i mean let's face it, i can throw a 600HPS in a 4 x 4 for about $200.00, including bulb so justifying the other $2.500.00 is tough to do, for me at least.

it is indeed a lot of $$$... but look at the grow... not sure if u would get similar results with a 600hps... n how hot would it be in the tent with a 600??...

I would look at led's , but the price has to come down...way down...

justanotherbozo

Veteran
It took me the first grow to pay for the system and enough to have some product and profit left over.
...yeah, i'm guessing you didn't pay full retail what with you working in the same building and all.

it is indeed a lot of $$$... but look at the grow... not sure if u would get similar results with a 600hps... n how hot would it be in the tent with a 600??...
yeah, i can put a 4 x 4 together for well under a grand including EVERYTHING i need from the tent itself to the fannage and light and pots and media and nutes and then i can pull between 12 and 16 zips per cycle like clockwork thereafter, ...actually i already run 2x 4 x 4 tents on a flipbox so one of them is always on, ...so that means i'm pulling between 3/4 to a full elbow every month, ...i'm wondering how much more than that can these LED's do.

...my take on @Marlo's work.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

I would look at led's , but the price has to come down...way down
...and this was indeed the entire point of my original post.

peace, bozo

...btw, i don't mean to come off like i'm not digging what i see, it's just the cost i find objectionable, i've been hearing about and wanting LED's for several years now and while they seem to work pretty good OK, they just cost too damned much.

Tommy Trichrome

I pulled almost 2 lbs from my 1st attempt at a 4x4 with leds and my 2nd grow in a 4x4 is over 2 lbs so I have 2 tents with these leds and can roughly pull 2 lbs from both every 3 months.

DJXX

Veteran
I pulled almost 2 lbs from my 1st attempt at a 4x4 with leds and my 2nd grow in a 4x4 is over 2 lbs so I have 2 tents with these leds and can roughly pull 2 lbs from both every 3 months.
sweet...i totally converted to LED...love them, better in every catagory and now the house is all LED also...we are ahead of the game...and so are the LED's...anyone who thinks different just has their heads in the sand....rock them lights....DJXX

Latest posts

Latest posts